Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 02:05 PM

11,308 posts, read 18,909,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
Hi,

Not sure what to do. I started a new job last week. I was pretty desperate to get out of my previous job and accepted an offer quickly. I like the job and it’s only 6 minutes from my house. The problem is I have a preplanned trip out of state in June. My best friend is getting married and I’m in the wedding party. My husband and I have already paid for the trip. We will be out of town for four business days. I mention this to the hiring manager prior to being hired. I was told it shouldn’t be a problem. Then today I found out that human resources has denied my request. They are saying there is no flexibility.

At this point I’m thinking I should just keep working but look for something else. I have never worked for a company that would give me a hard time about time off several months in advance. I told him I’m fine with it being unpaid but they won’t budge. I’m not canceling the trip. I guess I could tell them if they can’t grant me the time off I will have to quit and see what they say? Has anyone else ever come into a situation like this? How did you handle it?
I would go and if they fire you over it, have a lawsuit. Since you mentioned it before being hired and was told it won't be a problem, you have a definite case against them. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2018, 03:10 PM

91 posts, read 124,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I would go and if they fire you over it, have a lawsuit. Since you mentioned it before being hired and was told it won't be a problem, you have a definite case against them. Good luck!
She was told it "shouldn't" be a problem. She was never given a definitive answer. I sympathize with her, but I doubt she'd have legal grounds to stand on.

"We didn't think it would be a problem, but between the interview and her hiring, someone else requested that time off".

Old 03-21-2018, 03:15 PM

54 posts, read 61,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggzy702 View Post
She was told it "shouldn't" be a problem. She was never given a definitive answer. I sympathize with her, but I doubt she'd have legal grounds to stand on.

"We didn't think it would be a problem, but between the interview and her hiring, someone else requested that time off".
I wouldn’t have taken the job if that was the case.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:20 PM

17,605 posts, read 13,388,503 times
Quote:
I mention this to the hiring manager prior to being hired. I was told it shouldn’t be a problem. Then today I found out that human resources has denied my request. They are saying there is no flexibility.
If it isn't documented, it didn't happen

Did you think to get request in writing pre-employment?

If not, you lose.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:23 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,470,241 times
Go to the wedding. Jobs are replaceable.

How important is your job tasks that they can't get another to cover for? Are you in a special trade?certified? Or licensed?

Old 03-21-2018, 03:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
Quote:
Hi,

Not sure what to do. I started a new job last week. I was pretty desperate to get out of my previous job and accepted an offer quickly. I like the job and it’s only 6 minutes from my house. The problem is I have a preplanned trip out of state in June. My best friend is getting married and I’m in the wedding party. My husband and I have already paid for the trip. We will be out of town for four business days. I mention this to the hiring manager prior to being hired. I was told it shouldn’t be a problem. Then today I found out that human resources has denied my request. They are saying there is no flexibility.

At this point I’m thinking I should just keep working but look for something else. I have never worked for a company that would give me a hard time about time off several months in advance. I told him I’m fine with it being unpaid but they won’t budge. I’m not canceling the trip. I guess I could tell them if they can’t grant me the time off I will have to quit and see what they say? Has anyone else ever come into a situation like this? How did you handle it?
If your priorities are such that a friends wedding means more to you than a job....And, you choose to try an ultimatum to get your way then you've made your choice and be prepared to live with that.

You may want to give some thought to what you'll say when in future job interviews you are asked why you left this job so soon.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:36 PM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
I don't remember if you've said, but what is this company's time off policy? Do you start accruing PTO immediately that you could technically use by the time of the wedding, or are you on some kind of probationary period?

Old 03-21-2018, 03:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't remember if you've said, but what is this company's time off policy? Do you start accruing PTO immediately that you could technically use by the time of the wedding, or are you on some kind of probationary period?
They've been there 4 days or so. iirc

Old 03-21-2018, 03:59 PM

717 posts, read 558,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

You may want to give some thought to what you'll say when in future job interviews you are asked why you left this job so soon.
I wouldn't list this very short-term position on a resume/application.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:04 PM

54 posts, read 61,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I wouldn't list this very short-term position on a resume/application.
I won’t. I plan to work until June and quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment