Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:57 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Europeans garnered over 75% of the vote for most rude and that totally comports with my experience. Would never go back or recommend anyone else to go anywhere in Europe.
Ah, that's a shame - with millions gracing the shores of Europe every single year, making it the most visited continent in the world, the only thing we care about is you not returning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 01:24 PM

61 posts, read 68,579 times
Quote:
Europeans garnered over 75% of the vote for most rude and that totally comports with my experience. Would never go back or recommend anyone else to go anywhere in Europe.
Could you be more specific ? Did you have some issues ?
Don't want to defend Europe at all cost, I'm aware of the downsides of Europe : for example, about my country (France), poor customer service (generally speaking) compared to US. But your assumption seems pretty exaggerated to me, as, if you don't have to deal with a sales clerk, people seems normal to me and sometimes even helpful (despite the fact that they are less spontaneously kind than americans, that's right).
Actually, there's even a kind of implicit rule in France : if a guy is not working, he's helpful. If he's working, whatever the job is, he's not (nobody wants to bother while working, but people may be very generous outside their job. Strange country, I agree !)

Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessplayer View Post
Don't want to defend Europe at all cost, I'm aware of the downsides of Europe : for example, about my country (France), poor customer service (generally speaking) compared to US. But your assumption seems pretty exaggerated to me, as, if you don't have to deal with a sales clerk, people seems normal to me and sometimes even helpful (despite the fact that they are less spontaneously kind than americans, that's right).
Actually, there's even a kind of implicit rule in France : if a guy is not working, he's helpful. If he's working, whatever the job is, he's not (nobody wants to bother while working, but people may be very generous outside their job. Strange country, I agree !)
My wife and I had nothing but bad times when we were in Europe including money stolen and the cops just laughed about it. We only had good times with other Americans. As I said, Europe has garnered 75% of the most rude votes and I've traveled the world over and wholeheartedly concur. I have plenty of friends and family that want to travel to Europe due mostly to it is part of our history when you go pack a few hundred years and I always advise otherwise. Europeans remain just intensely arrogant and rude.

The USA has 2.5 more tourist dollars than the next closest country (Spain) and yet we only garner just over 3% of the most rude votes. I think most Americans would make an effort to be hospitable to tourists but that was not my experience in Europe.

I'm now working in Peru and there are very few rude people here which is why you see both North and South American countries low on the rude scale.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 09-29-2014 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-29-2014, 11:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessplayer View Post
Don't feed the troll...

Old 09-30-2014, 01:00 AM

61 posts, read 68,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Don't feed the troll...
I know, sometimes I hope that the troll might have a brain, but I'm often wrong.
There should be a IQ test forbidding any internet access for people lower than 50. That would be a very good novelty (and then we could reserve some websites only for these people, they deserve some social life, after all.)
That being said, it's funny to see that people meet in a foreign country what they have brought there (kindness or rudeness)

Old 09-30-2014, 08:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I find it really rude and frustrating when I travel to other countries and slowly (but loudly) speak American for their benefit, that they still pretend to not understand me.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:08 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Ah, that's a shame - with millions gracing the shores of Europe every single year, making it the most visited continent in the world, the only thing we care about is you not returning.

Some Americans, particularly southeners, love the "southern hospitality" stuff while others consider such behaviour false, hypocrite and crackpotish. Just the typical toothpaste smile and asking people personal questions out of the blue.

They consider that people that do not behave that way are rude, and others believe they are rude and obnoxious, and believe me, they can be a real pain.

Cultural relativity, as Nina wrote.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
My wife and I had nothing but bad times when we were in Europe including money stolen and the cops just laughed about it. We only had good times with other Americans. As I said, Europe has garnered 75% of the most rude votes and I've traveled the world over and wholeheartedly concur. I have plenty of friends and family that want to travel to Europe due mostly to it is part of our history when you go pack a few hundred years and I always advise otherwise. Europeans remain just intensely arrogant and rude.

The USA has 2.5 more tourist dollars than the next closest country (Spain) and yet we only garner just over 3% of the most rude votes. I think most Americans would make an effort to be hospitable to tourists but that was not my experience in Europe.

I'm now working in Peru and there are very few rude people here which is why you see both North and South American countries low on the rude scale.

The USA is a little tad bigger, don't you think? 40 millions vs. 300 millions.
People that vote about rudeness deserve to be treated like d...bf..ks.

My wife and I had nothing but bad times when we were in Europe including money stolen and the cops just laughed about it. We only had good times with other Americans.

Then, why in the name of our Lord do you travel abroad to meet those rude and impious people that don't watch Fox News and World Report?.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I find it really rude and frustrating when I travel to other countries and slowly (but loudly) speak American for their benefit, that they still pretend to not understand me.

Clearly you're not speaking american loud enough

Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's the only thing keeping Spain afloat. If they dislike drunken tourists they should ask their government why Spain has little industry to support itself..

Spain has the thirteenth-largest economy by nominal GDP in the world, and thirteenth-largest by purchasing power parity. The Spanish economy is the fourth-largest in the European Union, and the third-largest in the Eurozone, based on nominal GDP statistics. In 2012, Spain was the eighteenth-largest exporter in the world and the sixteenth-largest importer.

Not only lost aldeas somewhere in Lugo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World