Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who?
San Francisco 24 44.44%
Montreal 24 44.44%
Same or can't compare 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,874 times

Advertisements

I'd say Montreal. You can still find "rednecks" even in the heart of San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:01 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think what was said was that "gay-friendly stuff and openness" (widely defined) is the norm these days in any large city in the US and Canada. The implication being that there's nothing special in this sense about Montreal and gays (and thus SF too I suppose).

To which you responded: What about, say, Minneapolis then?

Given the broad stroke of the statement, I think your question was an entirely valid one.

I am not gay but I don't for a minute believe that all cities are basically the same in Canada-US when it comes to what they offer a gay person. Even some of the larger ones.

The only thing I said about Minneapolis is that I thought it was absurd that anyone would compare even remotely, that it is as liberal as Montreal. I mentioned it because the other guy mentioned it - otherwise Mins wouldn't have even been introduced into this thread if I had any say in the matter. Nothing against it but you'd convince me that it snows in hell more easily than you'd convince me that Minneapolis is more liberal than Montreal.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-02-2014 at 12:12 AM..

Old 03-02-2014, 12:10 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I'd say Montreal. You can still find "rednecks" even in the heart of San Francisco.
In the city itself or are you referring to some surrounding metro areas?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:06 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In the city itself or are you referring to some surrounding metro areas?
Of course you can find some redneck types in SF, just like you can find any other type of person, and of course there are more rednecks in rural and outer suburban parts of the metro area than in the central city. The same can be said for any big American city...and I'm sure Canada has it's own redneck equivalents, right?

Old 03-02-2014, 05:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
Yes, I saw your location, but you never provided any sources, while when I did my project on Quebec, I had to find sources from newspapers, magazines, and other media. So it boils down to you saying that journalists were wrong, but you aren't providing any evidence to the contrary, so what I'm supposed to just take your word on it?

EDIT: And btw when I Google Quebec language police this is what comes up Office québécois de la langue française - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I'm pretty sure it's the same thing I read about in college.
Oh, good lord! It's not a police force. Check out MY location, while you did a project? Cute.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
I didn't read all 14 pages, but has anyone mentioned Quebec's age of medical consent being 14, and abortion with absolutely no restrictions?

Old 03-02-2014, 06:07 PM

224 posts, read 273,646 times
Quote:
Gay friendliness, while a better measure than openness to anglicization , is not the only measure of liberalism. And if people focus disproportionately on this, of course SF comes out on top. But I would say the places like Boston and NYC are pretty equivalent to SF in terms of liberalism in the US. Boston might be even more.
You mean the same Boston that exploded into racist protests over school busing to integrate Boston's public schools back in the '70s? Where it was close to an all-out race war?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
You are very confused. First of all there is no ''language police''. You're just buying into the rhetoric of a certain fringe of the anglo community by using that term.

As you are by saying English and other languages are ''illegal''. They aren't illegal at all, and what the law says n most cases is simply that you can't ignore French and pretend it doesn't exist. You can serve your customers in English or whatever, have signs in those languages. But you can't refuse service in French.

The main effect of the language laws and policies has been that, contrary to what has been the case in the past, things have become more complicated for those in Quebec who would try and impose the use of English on the majority.
Call them what you will theres an entire government department (OQLF) dedicated to enforcing all Quebecs draconian linguistic laws, they have the ability to levy strict fines for non compliance of Quebecs language laws and can demand removal of any English only signs.
Theres been a major effort by Quebecs government over the past 50 years to eradicate English language and culture from Quebec.through pieces of legislative garbage like this= Charter of the French language.. .
Exterior English signage is illegal. interior English signage must be accompanied by French signage that has to be on top of English signage and the font has to be twice the size of the English font. , Companies with 50 or more employees must be completely french in the work place.
http://world.time.com/2013/04/08/que...dian-province/
A separatist government in power that poses the threat of separation from Canada

I could go one for hours but suffice it to say the comparison of liberalism between San Fran and MTL is a bit of a poor comparison as Quebecs political stance is something else entirely.

Last edited by jambo101; 03-03-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 AM

3,868 posts, read 5,294,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3243 View Post
You mean the same Boston that exploded into racist protests over school busing to integrate Boston's public schools back in the '70s? Where it was close to an all-out race war?
Pretty sure he is referring to 2014 Boston, if you have a time machine I would love to check it out in the 70's though.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:05 AM

108 posts, read 153,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
You can also find rednecks in the heart of Montreal in fact probably more so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World