Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who?
San Francisco 24 44.44%
Montreal 24 44.44%
Same or can't compare 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:30 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
Yes, I saw your location, but you never provided any sources, while when I did my project on Quebec, I had to find sources from newspapers, magazines, and other media. So it boils down to you saying that journalists were wrong, but you aren't providing any evidence to the contrary, so what I'm supposed to just take your word on it?
Heck, even I can google "Office québécois de la langue française"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM

168 posts, read 251,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Heck, even I can google "Office québécois de la langue française"...
Yeah I just did that, and from reading the Wikipedia it says they police people using English and make sure everyone uses French, nothing contrary to what I've been saying.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:39 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Yeah I just did that, and from reading the Wikipedia it says they police people using English and make sure everyone uses French, nothing contrary to what I've been saying.
It explicitly mentions that they are not police. What's next? Should we question your academic credentials? You clearly should have failed that class...

Old 02-23-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It explicitly mentions that they are not police. What's next? Should we question your academic credentials? You clearly should have failed that class...
"Legally, the organization has no police power, although they may impose fines or, in extraordinary situations, shut down businesses." So it's hyperbole to call them police, but even with the citation needed, the power to fine and shut down businesses, is akin to policing people using English. It's not that hard to understand. I didn't keep my stuff still from my sophomore or junior year in college, but I found sources documenting how they worked.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:47 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Yes and the Office acts upon complaint only. People may disagree with this but it is still far from a strict police like it is often portrayed.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
"Legally, the organization has no police power, although they may impose fines or, in extraordinary situations, shut down businesses." So it's hyperbole to call them police, but even with the citation needed, the power to fine and shut down businesses, is akin to policing people using English. It's not that hard to understand. I didn't keep my stuff still from my sophomore or junior year in college, but I found sources documenting how they worked.
It is not that hard to find out how they work. They are a public organization not a secret one. Their modus operandi and mandate is on their website.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, I saw your location, but you never provided any sources, while when I did my project on Quebec, I had to find sources from newspapers, magazines, and other media. So it boils down to you saying that journalists were wrong, but you aren't providing any evidence to the contrary, so what I'm supposed to just take your word on it? .
English language journalists in Canada are generally extremely biased when it comes to Quebec politics and the language issue in particular. (Assuming you did not consult articles in French!)

You might be the only person left in the USA who still believes reporters are impartial.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:09 PM

Given the large Hispanic population in the Bay area and the fact that the city has a Spanish name I think that SF should have public schools colleges and universities that teach all their subjects in Spanish.

Until it does I am just going to have to go wwith Montreal as more liberal because I have chosen openness to Spanish as the main criterion to base my assessment of SF's liberalism on.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is not that hard to find out how they work. They are a public organization not a secret one. Their modus operandi and mandate is on their website.
Yeah on the Wikipedia it says they have the power to fine and shut down businesses, it also says they coerce people into complying by saying it's in their financial interest to do so? Sounds like a shakedown to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
English language journalists in Canada are generally extremely biased when it comes to Quebec politics and the language issue in particular. (Assuming you did not consult articles in French!)

You might be the only person left in the USA who still believes reporters are impartial.
I think I had like Time Magazine, or US News, it was only a small part of the project, but I do remember about their being language laws, and a language office.

No of course I know that journalists have biases, and are subjective, but I'm also not one who just questions every single word a reporters writes or reports if there is no reason to be biased. What reason is there to be biased against what language Quebec uses? And if they were indeed biased, wouldn't we then see reports to the contrary? Like hey look Quebec office is not such a bad guy after all.

Anyway, look bro, all I said was that Montreal is less liberal than SF, in part due to my perception of the language law, that's it. I didn't intend to start some huge thing.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:16 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Quote:
And if they were indeed biased, wouldn't we then see reports to the contrary? Like hey look Quebec office is not such a bad guy after all.
I'm sure there are reports to the contrary - it's just they're more likely to say "eh attend" than "hey look".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World