Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who?
San Francisco 24 44.44%
Montreal 24 44.44%
Same or can't compare 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:24 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Given the large Hispanic population in the Bay area and the fact that the city has a Spanish name I think that SF should have public schools colleges and universities that teach all their subjects in Spanish..
Hispanics wouldn't want to send their kids to Spanish schools. And the Hispanic population in the city of Frisco is lower than other cities in California, Its not like LA.

In Frisco and other cities in California, you see signs in all different languages(spanish, Korean, tagalog etc) And as far as I know its not a problem. No one gets fines or is forced to change the signs. I can't say the same thing about Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The fact is, gay marriage was legal in Montreal long before San Fransisco. Whether this is relevant is up to the reader to decide. I truly apologize if I've offended you in anyway.
If this is your barometer for most liberal, than its a poor one.

I'm looking up the history of a gay neighborhood in Montreal. It looks like the 1980s you had one, then had a big Sex Garage incident which was the equivalent of 1969 Stonewall in NYC. Where the police did raids and such. Throughout the 1980s, Montreal went back and forth, and the gay neighborhood finally got established in the 1990s.

In short, if you were a gay Montrealer in the 1950s, 1960s, or 1970s, you probably would have run quickly to San Francisco or New York, if you wanted to actually live in a gay neighborhood. It wasn't until the 1980s that you could have had one, even if a bit of a volatile one at that time.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:55 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I'm looking up the history of a gay neighborhood in Montreal. It looks like the 1980s you had one, then had a big Sex Garage incident which was the equivalent of 1969 Stonewall in NYC. Where the police did raids and such. Throughout the 1980s, Montreal went back and forth, and the gay neighborhood finally got established in the 1990s.

In short, if you were a gay Montrealer in the 1950s, 1960s, or 1970s, you probably would have run quickly to San Francisco or New York, if you wanted to actually live in a gay neighborhood. It wasn't until the 1980s that you could have had one, even if a bit of a volatile one at that time.

It was also in the 70's in S.F that the most prominent gay Politician in the U.S was assassinated - Harvey Milk so the 60's and 70's although a lot of strides made - the individuals outside the gay microcosm weren't exactly accepting or liberal - even in S.F and NYC as they are now.

In the here and now in 2014 not 40 years ago Montreal is a very liberal place - when is the last time the police in Montreal have raided a bathhouse? Have you seen how many bathouses and gay strip clubs there are in Montreal now - a lot trust me lol... S.F seemed tame in comparison on my visit. Nothing in S.F compared to Oasis or Taboo or Campus... Not that I have familiarity with these things - I swear I just walked by them lol

Even the straight scene is raunchy in Montreal and there are venues (as a gay male i'm certainly not familiar with ha) but I have friends who are straight and they are more than aware of these straight raunchy venues in Montreal.. I can't even name one here the name is so raunchy - lets just say its on St Catherine street E between rue St Elisabeth and Rue Sanguinet and we'll leave it at that .

So when it comes to raunchiness and live and let live mentality and behaviour (Montreal the drinking age is 19 what is it in S.F btw?) - Montreal is tough to beat in N.A. There is nothing about Montreal that feels less liberal than S.F when it comes to the general population...

Even in terms of politics in recent times - the governments of California and Quebec ebb and flow between liberal and more conservative - but the heart and soul of either Montreal or S.F is liberal.. My feeling however Is that Montrealers with the French cultural influences skew more liberal.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-23-2014 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

So when it comes to raunchiness and live and let live mentality and behaviour (Montreal the drinking age is 19 what is it in S.F btw?) - Montreal is tough to beat in N.A. There is nothing about Montreal that feels less liberal than S.F when it comes to the general population...

The drinking age in Montreal is actually 18. And that's officially. If you can pass for a local and look like you can ''handle yourself'' it's more like 16.

But sure, the signs in the bar are likely to be in French not in English, as is your ID, so it doesn't count.

So SF is more liberal on this front as well.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Hispanics wouldn't want to send their kids to Spanish schools. And the Hispanic population in the city of Frisco is lower than other cities in California, Its not like LA.

In Frisco and other cities in California, you see signs in all different languages(spanish, Korean, tagalog etc) And as far as I know its not a problem. No one gets fines or is forced to change the signs. I can't say the same thing about Montreal.
If we can try to talk about the same things, would anglos in Montreal agree to give up their publicly-funded schools, colleges and universities in English, in exchange for a total free-for-all in language when it comes to businesses, stores and signs?

Anyway, people here are being a bit dishonest because there are tons of signs in Montreal in all sorts of languages, especially English but also Arabic, Italian, Greek, Vietnamese, etc. It's just that they have French on them too.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post

Anyway, look bro, all I said was that Montreal is less liberal than SF, in part due to my perception of the language law, that's it. I didn't intend to start some huge thing.
The Canada-Quebec debate is a very complex one to wade into. I will leave it at that. Or maybe I won't...

Old 02-23-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Gay friendliness, while a better measure than openness to anglicization , is not the only measure of liberalism. And if people focus disproportionately on this, of course SF comes out on top. But I would say the places like Boston and NYC are pretty equivalent to SF in terms of liberalism in the US. Boston might be even more.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:01 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The drinking age in Montreal is actually 18. And that's officially. If you can pass for a local and look like you can ''handle yourself'' it's more like 16.
On one hand the drinking age is lower and lax in Quebec, but then on the flip-side the SAQ regulates the alcohol distribution market to death, even to the point that regulators attach spouts to Spirit bottles in order to measure pours.

I know for a fact that alot of bars ignore this, but it always struck me as strange that a Province as liberal as Quebec, with the wine drinking culture it has, would be so ****ing backward when it comes to regulating alcohol.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:07 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
On one hand the drinking age is lower and lax in Quebec, but then on the flip-side the SAQ regulates the alcohol distribution market to death, even to the point that regulators attach spouts to Spirit bottles in order to measure pours.

I know for a fact that alot of bars ignore this, but it always struck me as strange that a Province as liberal as Quebec, with the wine drinking culture it has, would be so ****ing backward when it comes to regulating alcohol.
Ok so what is your opinion on which is more liberal lol

C'mon fess up! Be honest

Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
No of course I know that journalists have biases, and are subjective, but I'm also not one who just questions every single word a reporters writes or reports if there is no reason to be biased. What reason is there to be biased against what language Quebec uses? And if they were indeed biased, wouldn't we then see reports to the contrary? Like hey look Quebec office is not such a bad guy after all.
Quebec challenges the national (Canadian) and even continental anglo-hegemony that some people believe was written in the stars. With ill-intentioned people the fact that Quebec wants to exist in its own way in parallel to that reality provokes a lot of venom, and sometimes even with the most open-minded it provokes at least a bit of head-shaking or scratching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World