Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who?
San Francisco 24 44.44%
Montreal 24 44.44%
Same or can't compare 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Personally, I think these things are hard to quantify. Let's just say I don't see ANY conservatism whatsoever in San Francisco. Zero, zilch, none, nada, nowhere, no how. It doesn't exist.

So when I hear someone saying that another city is 'more' liberal than SF, than it's hard for me to understand how a place can be MORE liberal. How can you be further than then the extreme? You could be at the extreme, you could be near the extreme, but you can't out-extreme the extreme.

It's like someone saying that 'Joe' was more nude than 'John'. Well, how is Joe more nude than John? Does John have a birthmark that covers up an iota of skin that makes him less nude? It doesn't compute.
Of course it is hard to objectify the subjective and my opinion on the matter could very well be worth 50 cents and a cup of coffee (or less)... Personally - I think you should visit Montreal and perhaps you could at the very least become more informed about the place... At the very least you could say that in Montreal there is Zero, zilch, none, nada, nowhere and no how conservatism exists.. you may even delve into the world of grey and say you feel at its heart, Montreal and its inhabitants in your own anecdotal experiences are dare I say - more liberal...

Last edited by fusion2; 02-23-2014 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
I definitely hear what you are saying, but that doesn't make Montreal MORE LIBERAL than San Francisco.

That just means that Washington DC censors nudity on the American airwaves more than the province of Quebec does. But it doesn't mean that the people in the city of San Francisco are less liberal, because of it.
Agreed, but it's all part of the ''full package'' and shapes societal attitudes to at least some degree.

And just wondering, does the FCC actually prevent the big four TV networks from showing drawings of ''boobies'' in prime time?

I get all four of them here on cable, and the FCC certainly doesn't censor violence in prime time.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
To be quite honest, if we take a broad definition of liberalism, Toronto and Vancouver are probably every bit as liberal as SF. And Montreal is slightly more than all three.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Of course it is have to objectify the subjective and my opinion on the matter could very well be worth 50 cents and a cup of coffee (or less)... Personally - I think you should visit Montreal and perhaps you could at the very least become more informed about the place... At the very least you could say that in Montreal there is Zero, zilch, none, nada, nowhere and no how conservatism exists.. you may even delve into the world of grey and say you feel at its heart, Montreal and its inhabitants in your own anecdotal experiences are dare I say - more liberal...
I've been to Montreal before, and I liked it. I did feel its liberal.

I just strongly disagree with statements that seem to imply that San Francisco isn't.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Agreed, but it's all part of the ''full package'' and shapes societal attitudes to at least some degree.

And just wondering, does the FCC actually prevent the big four TV networks from showing drawings of ''boobies'' in prime time?

I get all four of them here on cable, and the FCC certainly doesn't censor violence in prime time.
I believe after a certain time they have some leeway, but I doubt many of them would push the envelope as far as Quebec. When it comes to violence, American TV is definitely more Liberal, but for some reason anything sexual is viewed as taboo, which is ridiculous.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I don't know. Does anyone watch ABC, CBS, NBC? I thought that stuff was yesteryear popular back in the 1950s-1970s and started a slow death with cable TV in the 1980s and nearly non-existant in popularity or viewability in 2014.

Way back when I was actually living in the U.S., way back in the 1990s, cable tv pretty much had nudity everywhere, and it's quite commonplace on networks like HBO and on and on and on. As far as I know, there have been a ton of American tv series where even male nudity is quite commonplace like Oz, etc.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I've been to Montreal before, and I liked it. I did feel its liberal.

I just strongly disagree with statements that seem to imply that San Francisco isn't.
At no point did I make any inference that S.F isn't liberal and I respect that you find it absurd to draw a conclusion that one is more liberal than the other. To you the difference (if any don't even register).. In my experiences in both they did register albeit not extraordinarily so...

Absurdity however, is stating the Minns is more liberal than Montreal... I can't at all objectively or subjectively compute that in my gay brain. Sawry

Old 02-23-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, there have been a ton of American tv series where even male nudity is quite commonplace like Oz, etc.
OZ? Wow that's so retro lol..

Well hats off to 'Looking' there is male nudity (although 'light') and it is set in S.F...

Old 02-23-2014, 09:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Having been to both cities numerous times…S.F. a bit more…I voted for Montreal. However it's pretty close. You certainly don't feel that you are in a conservative place when visiting either city. I gave the edge to Montreal, simply because I have a soft spot for that city. Shoot me

Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
At no point did I make any inference that S.F isn't liberal and I respect that you find it absurd to draw a conclusion that one is more liberal than the other. To you the difference (if any don't even register).. In my experiences in both they did register albeit not extraordinarily so...

Absurdity however, is stating the Minns is more liberal than Montreal... I can't at all objectively or subjectively compute that in my l'il gay brain. Sawry
It's probably hard to compute properly, because it was never said.

You'll have to re-read the Minneapolis statement again, to see it was never said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World