Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who?
San Francisco 24 44.44%
Montreal 24 44.44%
Same or can't compare 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:13 PM

168 posts, read 251,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So every place in the world that has an official language has in the process "made all other languages illegal"?

California has English as its only official language, does it not?
Not the same thing, in California the official language only applies to government. And it means that government activities are only done in English. There is no language office authority going around fining and closing places down for using the non prescribed language.

Quote:
Zack, you should note that Quebec has more minority language services (in English) than any other jurisdiction in Canada and the United States except for the Canadian province of New Brunswick.

From kindergarten to your PhD or MD in university, from anglo hospitals to English driver's licence exams to your electricity bill. All of this available in English.

But it's not enough, is it?
Huh, I didn't say that? I didn't make any assumptions, nor did I know about any of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 02:15 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
Not the same thing, in California the official language only applies to government. And it means that government activities are only done in English. There is no language office authority going around fining and closing places down for using the non prescribed language.

Huh, I didn't say that? I didn't make any assumptions, nor did I know about any of that.
Nevertheless, it should help to inform your analysis (if you can call it that) of the situation.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
An ignorant overview. You have a tenuous and inaccurate grip on Canadian history. I guess I'll throw my history degree largely earned at a Canadian university in the trash, because guy on the internet #35681 read some biased news articles for his school project.
Quote:
Nevertheless, it should help to inform your analysis (if you can call it that) of the situation.
Wow you guys get nasty real fast, and you think I guess trying to belittle me makes you what the bigger man? My goodness, I didn't really have a negative view of Quebec before this, just thought the language police were kind of harsh and draconian, but now all I can assume is all of Quebec is filled with douchebags and jerks.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Wow you guys get nasty real fast, and you think I guess trying to belittle me makes you what the bigger man? My goodness, I didn't really have a negative view of Quebec before this, just thought the language police were kind of harsh and draconian, but now all I can assume is all of Quebec is filled with douchebags and jerks.
Well you keep spouting inanities like "all other languages are illegal" and keep saying "language police" when it's been clearly shown that that's not the case. How do you expect people to react?

And BTW is an American (from Maryland I think) and I am not even originally from Quebec. So there you go.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,614 times
SF is not the most liberal city in the united states anymore. The increasing Hispanic population, and white flight in CA has changed the political landscape considerably over the last 20 years. I would say that both Portland and Seattle are more liberal than SF is these days; however, the Hispanic population in Portland and Seattle is expected to double over the next 10-15 years, so we might see a spike in religious culture in those cities as well. You can already see in on the east side of Portland. It feels more like the bad parts of Sacramento with crap weather everyday.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Well you keep spouting inanities like "all other languages are illegal" and keep saying "language police" when it's been clearly shown that that's not the case. How do you expect people to react?

And BTW is an American (from Maryland I think) and I am not even originally from Quebec. So there you go.
You can call them inane, but you haven't given any links to the contrary. I mean if I'm really just ill informed shouldn't the truth win out? Because I just Googled Quebec, right now and came up with http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...943/story.html and Half of Quebec non-francophones consider leaving - Montreal - CBC News are you telling me that I shouldn't believe them because they're biased? Because from all the reporting it seems like I'm not far off from reality.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You can call them inane, but you haven't given any links to the contrary. I mean if I'm really just ill informed shouldn't the truth win out? Because I just Googled Quebec, right now and came up with Expect tougher language laws if PQ wins majority, minister says and Half of Quebec non-francophones consider leaving - Montreal - CBC News are you telling me that I shouldn't believe them because they're biased? Because from all the reporting it seems like I'm not far off from reality.
Read the law and tell me in how many places it says English or any other languages are banned:

Charter of the French language

The law actually contains many clauses that explicitly confirm the place of English.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
You can call them inane, but you haven't given any links to the contrary. I mean if I'm really just ill informed shouldn't the truth win out? Because I just Googled Quebec, right now and came up with Expect tougher language laws if PQ wins majority, minister says and Half of Quebec non-francophones consider leaving - Montreal - CBC News are you telling me that I shouldn't believe them because they're biased? Because from all the reporting it seems like I'm not far off from reality.
The slant of the article on the poll is actually a good example of biased reporting, because in the poll the people who said they were thinking of leaving did not cite language as a major factor. They cited economic outlook, jobs, taxes and political uncertainty (possible separation from Canada) as the main reasons. Not language. But the CBC still chose to talk to this Marc Stamos guy and make the focus of its story on the fact that he doesn't feel welcome speaking English.

I mean, it's not a secret that a significant segment of Quebec's anglo community is not satisfied with the language situation and would prefer to use English even more than they have an opportunity to at the moment (for many of them, this means all of the time, including any and all interactions with francophones).

Of course, some of them are also quite happy with having French as the main language of their public life here.

30 ans de loi 101 - Christopher Hall - YouTube

Témoignage de Judi Richards, porte-parole de la Fête nationale - YouTube

It's not as black and white or as cut and dried an issue as you make it seem.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Another article:

Earth to anglos: This is Quebec. Bus drivers speak French

Look at all the hate he got in the comments section! Very tolerant of his views, and of francophones and their language, isn't it?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
SF is not the most liberal city in the united states anymore. The increasing Hispanic population, and white flight in CA has changed the political landscape considerably over the last 20 years. I would say that both Portland and Seattle are more liberal than SF is these days; however, the Hispanic population in Portland and Seattle is expected to double over the next 10-15 years, so we might see a spike in religious culture in those cities as well. You can already see in on the east side of Portland. It feels more like the bad parts of Sacramento with crap weather everyday.
Interesting point, but I thought the Hispanic commmunity in Frisco was shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World