Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CANZUK...Yes or No?
Yes 11 42.31%
Yes (with the inclusion of Ireland) 3 11.54%
Yes (with the inclusion of Ireland and the United States) 3 11.54%
No 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:46 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times

Advertisements

Inexplicably, CANZUK plus US, without Ireland, was not a poll option.

Yes, I would support that, why not.

As some have alluded to, if Ireland were to join, that would almost certainly imply leaving the EU. And I don't think irishbob would agree, so no chance of that happening, unless the entire EU were to break up or reduced to its Franco-German-Benelux core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 11:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
If you didn't participate in the elections that is probably not the EU's fault, is it?
Oh I participate, although I don't remember being able to participate in voting in or out Merkel for example? Or any of the 'rule' makers sitting in Brussels either? You want me to be happy about 'one Europe' then let me participate in voting in (or out) who I chose to govern me, until that happens count me out. The EU is not democratic it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:58 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh I participate, although I don't remember being able to participate in voting in or out Merkel for example? Or any of the 'rule' makers sitting in Brussels either? You want me to be happy about 'one Europe' then let me participate in voting in (or out) who I chose to govern me, until that happens count me out. The EU is not democratic it is a disaster waiting to happen.
Why would a UK voter choose to vote in or out Merkel? Isn't it like a New York state voter being able to choose the governor of California? It doesn't make sense.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:17 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Adopted Vancouverite James Skinner (originally a UK citizen) in 2014 founded CANZUK International, an organization to actively promote a free trade union between the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, including free circulation of people similar to the European Economic Area (EEA)

The proposal is picking up steam in academia, the media, and some political circles in these 4 countries, especially after the BREXIT referendum in UK.

On the CANZUK International web site (CANZUK International – Promoting Closer Ties Between Canada, Australia, New Zealand & The United Kingdom) you can keep track of ongoing discussions, seminars, declaration of interest in such proposal from politicians, etc...

Closer ties between Commonwealth countries have been a recurrent theme from time to time but almost universally regarded as a very difficult endeavor when not downright unfeasible.

CANZUK proposes a much smaller (and realistic) economic union between just the 4 major nations that share the same sovereign.

Some critics still claim that the whole idea is very difficult to implement or "fanciful", furthermore some ask "Why excluding other commonwealth countries?? It seems covertly racist".

Skinner promptly dismiss the racist label, the 4 countries have a common language spoken by pretty much the totality of their populations, similar socioeconomic development levels which would prevent serious immigration unbalances, share the same values, cultural footprints, high human rights records, similar laws and all of them offer public health care. These four countries are already societies with a significant multicultural component, race has nothing to do with it. Simply, in practical terms, is much more easy to economically integrate them.

As I said before, the arrangement would be similar to the current EEA framework so significantly different from the EU which has a political union as a final objective.
Borders control would still be enforced. The suggested arrangement allow for free circulation of people that are citizens of one of the participating countries for at least 6 years and no criminal record.
Each country would still be free to have an independent immigration policy towards other countries (probably with some co-ordination on matters such as security). Co-ordination would still be needed in the areas of social and healthcare benefits, retirement income, etc...
An initial multiyear ban on the ability to collect welfare benefits (coupled with a required specific amount of paid work time) is proposed as well....meaning, for example, you cannot collect welfare if you have not been in the country for X amount of years and you have not worked, at minimum, for Y years.

What do you think?? Would you like to see CANZUK adopted??

I added 2 choices to the Poll..."Yes" with the inclusion of Ireland in the arrangement (but current EU rules, I believe, would prevent Ireland to join) and "Yes" with the inclusion of Ireland and the United States as well....obviously in that case the name of the arrangement would change to include these countries
I voted YES but I do have reservations. Something really has to be put in place to discourage excessively large population migrations and its effects on housing prices and overdevelopment. From what I can see, that is one of the major reasons the British want to leave the EU.

I say this as an American citizen that there are many advantages to living in a large country. One of them is that you can move anywhere in this large country but the problem is that so can everyone else! The result is that whenever an area in the USA gets discovered as good place to live and work, like years ago the Northeast, then California, Florida and now North Carolina and Texas, that area increasingly becomes more crowded, expensive and overdeveloped.

As for Ireland and the United States, I would vote YES for them too but only if they were willing to meet the original CANZUK rules, otherwise the whole area would just become another British Empire, this time ruled from Washington DC instead of London.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Is it really that problematic if countries are in multiple economic unions? Conflict of interest?
Depends on the nature of the trade deal. If we are talking about Free Trade areas, then, yes, perhaps.

If we are talking custom unions, the answer is probably no. In a customs union, the participating countries apply a common tariff towards non-members. But a member that chooses to pursue other trade deals on its own would undermine this arrangement.

The economic component of the EU is a customs union, combined with a political project.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:48 PM

An argument I came across is that CANZUK would give the group greater combined clout than individual members could bring to bear. That is an argument for EU membership-that the group has more clout than individual countries.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty sure that the UK as a bad faith actor currently undergoing a separation with the EU makes this an unlikely scenario for the near future.
If I understand correctly, membership was originally sold to British voters as a free trade arrangement. If so, the voters expectations were betrayed.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:25 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Inexplicably, CANZUK plus US, without Ireland, was not a poll option.
I did not include that option because, if we include the US, it would be silly not including Ireland as well.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:47 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
If I understand correctly, membership was originally sold to British voters as a free trade arrangement. If so, the voters expectations were betrayed.
In the EU? Not really. There were a lot of other parts that had to be ratified and agreed upon aside from only trade. The EU didn't suddenly come into being and then shift course.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Air fares are cheap to fly between New Zealand and Australia. However there are ten times as much New Zealanders living in Australia than New Zealand. Plus one does not need a return air ticket flying to those destinations provided you are either a Australian or New Zealander. Even so there not been a major shift in population, as these days as much people are moving from Australia from New Zealand, as people living New Zealanders moving to Australia.

I doubt there be a major population shift, as both of the economies are strong between USA and Canada. Besides I doubt that far too Americans would want to move to Canada as it is too cold for them.
I stil say the geographical closeness of Canada and the US plays a different role, than NZ and Australia.

Also, millions upon millions of Americans live within a few hours drive to Canada. Even if they don't move to Canada, the free flow of people without a border will impact Canada more than the US. Guns are a major concern to Canadians, and that is just one issue.

Canada is not too cold for Americans. People seem to forget how many millions of Americans live in cold climates.

I'm for trade, but not open borders with the US. Open borders with the UK, Australia, and NZ IMO would be more popular with Canadians overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World