Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CANZUK...Yes or No?
Yes 11 42.31%
Yes (with the inclusion of Ireland) 3 11.54%
Yes (with the inclusion of Ireland and the United States) 3 11.54%
No 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,822,843 times

Advertisements

And here's the plant hardiness scale.

As you can see, a lot of the East Coast cities (Baltimore, Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington) are in yellow, the same as what you find in many Sunbelt states. They have quite different climates from Toronto/Montreal and saying New York and Philly have the same weather as Toronto/Montreal is factually inaccurate. You're completely ignoring the influence of the Gulf Stream:

There's a reason why Nantucket's waters are warmer than those of Nova Scotia

Your "125,000,000" is wildly inflated (which I'm assuming was your goal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 08:12 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

As you can see, a lot of the East Coast cities (Baltimore, Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington) are in yellow, the same as what you find in many Sunbelt states. They have quite different climates from Toronto/Montreal and saying New York and Philly have the same weather as Toronto/Montreal is factually inaccurate. You're completely ignoring the influence of the Gulf Stream:

Wow, thank you...that map says a lot....

Old 01-03-2018, 05:03 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:

Actually much of coastal Nova Scotia and Newfoundland is zone 6 the same as those Northeastern cities. Coastal BC is zone 8 which is milder than all of the Northeast US as far south as Washington DC. I am not necessarily saying that these Canadian climates are better but using a USDA hardiness zone map is overly simplistic when discussing climate IMO. Winter temperature lows is only one variable.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,822,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Actually much of coastal Nova Scotia and Newfoundland is zone 6 the same as those Northeastern cities. Coastal BC is zone 8 which is milder than all of the Northeast US as far south as Washington DC. I am not necessarily saying that these Canadian climates are better but using a USDA hardiness zone map is overly simplistic when discussing climate IMO. Winter temperature lows is only one variable.
Nobody's arguing about BC, which like the West Coast has its own unique climate.

What I'm disputing is the idea that Toronto/Montreal = New York/Philadelphia in climate. The latter are appreciably warmer. Just because the Northern U.S. is not the Sunbelt, doesn't mean it has Canadian-style climate either (absent places like North Dakota, Montana, Upstate NY, the UP - all of which have low population).

I also said the waters south of Boston were much warmer than those of Nova Scotia because of the Gulf Stream. That's accurate.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Nobody's arguing about BC, which like the West Coast has its own unique climate.

What I'm disputing is the idea that Toronto/Montreal = New York/Philadelphia in climate. The latter are appreciably warmer. Just because the Northern U.S. is not the Sunbelt, doesn't mean it has Canadian-style climate either (absent places like North Dakota, Montana, Upstate NY, the UP - all of which have low population).

I also said the waters south of Boston were much warmer than those of Nova Scotia because of the Gulf Stream. That's accurate.
Agreed. I have been to NYC in January and it didn't feel much like Ottawa where I was living at the time.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:

Upstate NY has something like 9-10 million people depending on how you define it. I wouldn't describe that as "low population". If it were its own state it would rank somewhere around 10th place in terms of population.

I agree though that Toronto/Montreal are not like New York/Philadelphia in terms of climate. A better comparison for the two largest Canadian cities would be Chicago-Milwaukee-Minneapolis.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:51 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Agreed. I have been to NYC in January and it didn't feel much like Ottawa where I was living at the time.
I live right next to Ottawa and I've been up and down the east coast of the U.S. during the winter, and I find I am in familiar territory in terms of climate, flora, fauna, geography, etc. pretty much all the way down to past the Washington DC area.

Obviously there is a noticeable difference in the severity of the winters, but there isn't much we get in terms of winter weather that we get that they won't also get a few times during a typical winter. (Though there is less of it, it doesn't last as long, and the cold isn't as intense.)

Old 01-04-2018, 10:21 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:

I did look at the averages on weatherspark.com for Washington DC and Vancouver BC. I would argue that DC has a significant better weather, on average, than Vancouver....much warmer summers and the temperature rises earlier (temperatures start already to diverge in March). Winters in DC are much sunnier with significant less daily chances of precipitation.
The negative aspect is that DC has a touch lower temperatures (again, averages) at the peak in winter and a bit higher chances of snowfall. I would take that tradeoff anytime. I never lived in in DC but, again, based on the weather info I read, I would take DC climate anytime over the Northwest. NYC is similar to DC and preferable as well, IMHO, to the Northwest by a long shot, climate wise.

Finally, DC and NYC are located significantly south of Vancouver (NYC is at the 40th parallel, DC at 38th) which reduces the variation in duration of daylight between summer and winter, another negative for me. I hate the long dark winters and the short nights in summer.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-04-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I live right next to Ottawa and I've been up and down the east coast of the U.S. during the winter, and I find I am in familiar territory in terms of climate, flora, fauna, geography, etc. pretty much all the way down to past the Washington DC area.

Obviously there is a noticeable difference in the severity of the winters, but there isn't much we get in terms of winter weather that we get that they won't also get a few times during a typical winter. (Though there is less of it, it doesn't last as long, and the cold isn't as intense.)
The vegetation may be similar but the climates are quite different. There are deciduous trees all the way down to Florida with more and more broadleaf evergreens as you go further south. NYC and DC have most of their winter above freezing with periodic intrusions of cold air and snow vs the opposite for Ottawa/Montreal. This gives a very different feeling for the climate.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I did look at the averages on weatherspark.com for Washington DC and Vancouver BC. I would argue that DC has a significant better weather, on average, than Vancouver....much warmer summers and the temperature rises earlier (temperatures start already to diverge in March). Winters in DC are much sunnier with significant less daily chances of precipitation.
The negative aspect is that DC has a touch lower temperatures (again, averages) at the peak in winter and a bit higher chances of snowfall. I would take that tradeoff anytime. I never lived in in DC but, again, based on the weather info I read, I would take DC climate anytime over the Northwest. NYC is similar to DC and preferable as well, IMHO, to the Northwest by a long shot, climate wise.

Finally, DC and NYC are located significantly south of Vancouver (NYC is at the 40th parallel, DC at 38th) which reduces the variation in duration of daylight between summer and winter, another negative for me. I hate the long dark winters and the short nights in summer.
I guess it depends on what you like. For me DC vs. Van would be a toss up because I don't like the summers in DC that much. I have been twice before in June. I much prefer LA type summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World