Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CANZUK...Yes or No?
Yes 11 42.31%
Yes (with the inclusion of Ireland) 3 11.54%
Yes (with the inclusion of Ireland and the United States) 3 11.54%
No 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 03:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,069 times

Advertisements

There is a hard border between the U.S. and Canada. I don't know of any reasons to expect that to change.

And, actually, that border has been used as a argument that a hard border could work in Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 03:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
There is a hard border between the U.S. and Canada. I don't know of any reasons to expect that to change.

And, actually, that border has been used as a argument that a hard border could work in Ireland.

That's a new term for me. Please explain - what is a hard border? What does a hard border look like? What is its physical function?

My imagination tells me that a hard border is like a physical wall or a fence but I know there is no such thing between Canada and USA so I'm left wondering what your definition of a hard border is.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,730,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's a new term for me. Please explain - what is a hard border? What does a hard border look like? What is its physical function?

My imagination tells me that a hard border is like a physical wall or a fence but I know there is no such thing between Canada and USA so I'm left wondering what your definition of a hard border is.

Very simple. A hard border is somewhere where there are immigration and custom checks i.e. almost every international border in the world.

It's a prominent subject matter in the UK with the whole Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland border. No-one across the board wants a hard border but it may be forced upon us upon leaving the EU.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:43 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,824,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I stil say the geographical closeness of Canada and the US plays a different role, than NZ and Australia.

Also, millions upon millions of Americans live within a few hours drive to Canada. Even if they don't move to Canada, the free flow of people without a border will impact Canada more than the US. Guns are a major concern to Canadians, and that is just one issue.

Canada is not too cold for Americans. People seem to forget how many millions of Americans live in cold climates.

I'm for trade, but not open borders with the US. Open borders with the UK, Australia, and NZ IMO would be more popular with Canadians overall.
No more than 18,000,000 Americans live within a 2 hour drive of the Canadian border. That's a little over 5% of the U.S. In other words, 95% of Americans don't live within a daytrip range of Canada. And that percentage is growing by the year.

7 million in Michigan
5 million in Washington
3 million in New York
1 million in Ohio
1 million in New England
1 million between Idaho, Montana, Alaska, North Dakota, Minnesota

You say that Canada is not too cold for Americans, yet all of the areas above except for Seattle are in population decline, and growth is all in the Sunbelt.

I honestly think most Americans would rather have open borders with Cuba than with Canada. It's not like Canada offers anything an American can't get within the U.S. borders.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:43 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
No more than 18,000,000 Americans live within a 2 hour drive of the Canadian border. That's a little over 5% of the U.S. In other words, 95% of Americans don't live within a daytrip range of Canada. And that percentage is growing by the year.

7 million in Michigan
5 million in Washington
3 million in New York
1 million in Ohio
1 million in New England

You say that Canada is not too cold for Americans, yet all of the areas above except for Seattle are in population decline, and growth is all in the Sunbelt.

I honestly think most Americans would rather have open borders with Cuba than with Canada. It's not like Canada offers anything an American can't get within the U.S. borders.
Maybe only about 18 million americans live within a two hour drive from Canada (I think it’s a bit more).

The other poster didn’t mention anything about drive times, he mentioned that a lot of
americans living in the northern states live in colder climates, as opposed to southern states.

I added up the populations of those northern states and came up with a total population
of about 105,000,000 ....much more than your modest 18 million

NY....20 million
PA....12.8 million
IL.....12.8 million
OH....11.7 million
MI.....10 million
WI.....7.4 million
MA.....6.9 million
IN......6.7 million
MN.....5.6 million
CT......3.6 million
IA......3.1 million
NE.....1.9 million
NH.....1.3 million
ME.....1.3 million
RI......1 million
MT......1 million
SD.....870,000
ND.....755,000
AK.....740,000
VT......625,000
WY.....580,000

If you add “borderline states...”

NJ.....10 million
CO.....5.6 milion
OR.....4.1 million
UT......3.1 million
WV.....1.8 million

Then the total is close to 125 million americans.

They are borderline but could be included ...
Colorado is a high elevation state and not much warmer than
southern interior BC...with mountain towns being colder,
same with Utah (even northern Nevada for that matter), SW Utah and southern NV much warmer.
Oregon is not than much warmer/milder than places in southern BC.
Most of West Virginia is very mountainous, gets plently of snow,
warmer than extreme southern Ontario but not overly so.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:04 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Quote:

7 million in Michigan
5 million in Washington
3 million in New York
1 million in Ohio
1 million in New England

3 things I disagree with here.

First, you are greatly narrowing down the population figures by randomly making it a mere 2 hour drive, as if economic activity is decided by a day out at a local park.

Second, while cold does play a factor, many of the Northern states are in decline as you say because of high taxes and the cost of living, not just because its too cold.

Finally, I am sure most Americans will disagree with the bolded!

Old 12-26-2017, 01:25 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I'm for trade, but not open borders with the US. Open borders with the UK, Australia, and NZ IMO would be more popular with Canadians overall.

The proposal is not for "open borders", border security control (and document control) would stay in place between countries....it would not be any different than the current border between Canada and the US (if US were to be included in the CANZUK agreement).
The only difference is that you could actually reside and work in Canada (for an American) or in the US (for a Canadian)

I do not think guns are too much of a concern with Canadians otherwise border controls would much tighter than they are (and before 9/11 were a lot looser).

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-26-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 01:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,305,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Maybe only about 18 million americans live within a two hour drive from Canada (I think it’s a bit more).

The other poster didn’t mention anything about drive times, he mentioned that a lot of
americans living in the northern states live in colder climates, as opposed to southern states.

"Cold climate" does not necessarily mean as cold as Canada. For example, NYC climate is, on average, quite better than Toronto for example.

I do not have direct experience but someone claimed that even Chicago is not as bad as Toronto or Montreal.

Milan, for example, is a cold city in winter......but way more tolerable than Toronto or Montreal.

Seattle is not as rainy and gray as Vancouver (it still is but there is a small noticeable difference also in temperature) and the more south you go the better it gets....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-26-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 03:05 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
"Cold climate" does not necessarily mean as cold as Canada. For example, NYC climate is, on average, quite better than Toronto for example.

I do not have direct experience but someone claimed that even Chicago is not as bad as Toronto or Montreal.

Milan, for example, is a cold city in winter......but way more tolerable than Toronto or Montreal.

Seattle is not as rainy and gray as Vancouver (it still is but there is a small noticeable difference also in temperature) and the more south you go the better it gets....
No arguments here.

That is why I only included all the colder US states, even states that areas noticeably warmer
than anywhere in Canada but not drastically so.

I even left out Washington, DC and the states of Maryland and Delaware,
just mild enough that people living in those places might not find even the warmest
Canadian climates to their liking.

An American living in Chicago would have no problem living in southern Ontario,
might even prefer it, less nasty heat waves.

A Montanan living in say, Great Falls, woukd have no problem with living in southern Alberta,
Lethbridge climate is almost identical.

Spokane, Washington is actually a bit “cooler” than the hottest places in adjacent BC,
places like Osoyoos, Oliver, and Penticton.

Medicine Hat on the Alberta prairies is warmer than Fargo, North Dakota,
and is warmer in winter than even places in eastern South Dakota too.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:

...... I honestly think most Americans would rather have open borders with Cuba than with Canada. It's not like Canada offers anything an American can't get within the U.S. borders.

What does Cuba offer that Americans can't get within the U.S. borders?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World