Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CANZUK...Yes or No?
Yes 11 42.31%
Yes (with the inclusion of Ireland) 3 11.54%
Yes (with the inclusion of Ireland and the United States) 3 11.54%
No 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 06:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times

Advertisements

Adopted Vancouverite James Skinner (originally a UK citizen) in 2014 founded CANZUK International, an organization to actively promote a free trade union between the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, including free circulation of people similar to the European Economic Area (EEA)

The proposal is picking up steam in academia, the media, and some political circles in these 4 countries, especially after the BREXIT referendum in UK.

On the CANZUK International web site (CANZUK International – Promoting Closer Ties Between Canada, Australia, New Zealand & The United Kingdom) you can keep track of ongoing discussions, seminars, declaration of interest in such proposal from politicians, etc...

Closer ties between Commonwealth countries have been a recurrent theme from time to time but almost universally regarded as a very difficult endeavor when not downright unfeasible.

CANZUK proposes a much smaller (and realistic) economic union between just the 4 major nations that share the same sovereign.

Some critics still claim that the whole idea is very difficult to implement or "fanciful", furthermore some ask "Why excluding other commonwealth countries?? It seems covertly racist".

Skinner promptly dismiss the racist label, the 4 countries have a common language spoken by pretty much the totality of their populations, similar socioeconomic development levels which would prevent serious immigration unbalances, share the same values, cultural footprints, high human rights records, similar laws and all of them offer public health care. These four countries are already societies with a significant multicultural component, race has nothing to do with it. Simply, in practical terms, is much more easy to economically integrate them.

As I said before, the arrangement would be similar to the current EEA framework so significantly different from the EU which has a political union as a final objective.
Borders control would still be enforced. The suggested arrangement allow for free circulation of people that are citizens of one of the participating countries for at least 6 years and no criminal record.
Each country would still be free to have an independent immigration policy towards other countries (probably with some co-ordination on matters such as security). Co-ordination would still be needed in the areas of social and healthcare benefits, retirement income, etc...
An initial multiyear ban on the ability to collect welfare benefits (coupled with a required specific amount of paid work time) is proposed as well....meaning, for example, you cannot collect welfare if you have not been in the country for X amount of years and you have not worked, at minimum, for Y years.

What do you think?? Would you like to see CANZUK adopted??

I added 2 choices to the Poll..."Yes" with the inclusion of Ireland in the arrangement (but current EU rules, I believe, would prevent Ireland to join) and "Yes" with the inclusion of Ireland and the United States as well....obviously in that case the name of the arrangement would change to include these countries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times
Yes. Include Ireland and USA. I’m a US citizen and don’t realistically ever expect it to happen though.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Australia and NZ already have an agreement very much like this, Is a good idea? I suppose it depends who you asking.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Australia and NZ already have an agreement very much like this, Is a good idea? I suppose it depends who you asking.

Yes, it's called the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement already in place between Australia and NZ since 1973 which, however, I do not think it extends to free circulation of goods. I believe it's only for people so it's more "lightweight" compared to the proposed CANZUK.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,538 times
I support CANZUK, but are all the candidates prepared?

The UK should prioritise stabilisation following Brexit first. I am also unsure whether all the candidates have agreements for reciprocal healthcare.

If CANZUK was enacted and successful for multiple years, I would then agree with Ireland joining if they desire to.

Last edited by Vusaqeuko; 12-21-2017 at 11:51 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 11:00 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Yes, it's called the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement already in place between Australia and NZ since 1973 which, however, I do not think it extends to free circulation of goods. I believe it's only for people so it's more "lightweight" compared to the proposed CANZUK.
There is a free trade of goods, particularly by NZ, which is very free trade orientated.

Australia does practice a degree of protectionism by other names, on some products.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:18 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,293,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Yes. Include Ireland and USA. I’m a US citizen and don’t realistically ever expect it to happen though.
why bother

i always find it amusing how brexiteers think countries outside the EU are licking their lips at the prospect of doing bi lateral trade deals with the uk , they already have trade deals with the uk via the EU right now ! , whats in it for them ?

Old 12-22-2017, 08:20 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Yes I fully support it. Ireland may want to join later if they want and the US would have too many obstacles to join. I think the CANZUK countries have enough in common to make it work. I for one would love to retire in Australia

Old 12-22-2017, 10:56 AM

400 posts, read 422,682 times
Yes Yes Yes Yes !!!!

Can I say Yes again ?? It'd be a good counter weight to our over-reliance on the American market and I'd rather like to head down to Oz when the winter starts to bite a little too hard up here.

P.S. to our antipodean friends; you'd like our skiing and snowboarding up here.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Can I say Yes again ?? It'd be a good counter weight to our over-reliance on the American market and I'd rather like to head down to Oz when the winter starts to bite a little too hard up here.

....what prevents you from doing that already???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World