Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2021, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 1,512 times

Advertisements

Is this thread still going? Alright. I would pick Budapest for the possibility of living a more affordable life. Next:

Iași, Romania
or
Turku, Finland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 1,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Elenite because Bulgaria is part of the EU and doesn't have a dictator.

Karachi, Pakistan vs. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Oh, now I have seen this one. Dar es Salaam.

Still,
Iași, Romania
or
Turku, Finland

Old 04-25-2021, 09:58 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,729,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalin1625 View Post
Oh, now I have seen this one. Dar es Salaam.

Still,
Iași, Romania
or
Turku, Finland
Turku because it is more developed.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil vs. Bangkok, Thailand

Old 04-25-2021, 10:24 AM

37,246 posts, read 39,529,579 times
Quote:
Turku because it is more developed.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil vs. Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok, safer now and pre-covid, and food that's very, very much to my liking. Despite being less diverse, Bangkok seems more international or cosmopolitan in a lot of ways.

EDIT: Accidentally skipped one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcawtsrif View Post
Bangkok. Safer city, Thailand is part of a more socioeconomically dynamic region than Brazil, Thailand has a brighter future than Brazil, Thailand managed the pandemic much better than Brazil, Thai food is the bomb, and I really want to see the new Iconsiam mall.

The battle between the brutal dictatorships: Ashgabat, Turkmenistan or Damascus, Syria?
Ashgabat seems silly. Damascus at least has some history to explore even if under a lot of tension, but I guess Ashgabat isn't quite so dangerous?

Places purportedly rebounding from some tough times:

Buenaventura, Colombia or Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Old 04-25-2021, 06:59 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Bangkok, safer now and pre-covid, and food that's very, very much to my liking. Despite being less diverse, Bangkok seems more international or cosmopolitan in a lot of ways.

EDIT: Accidentally skipped one:

Ashgabat seems silly. Damascus at least has some history to explore even if under a lot of tension, but I guess Ashgabat isn't quite so dangerous?

Places purportedly rebounding from some tough times:

Buenaventura, Colombia or Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo Bosina because I am very interested in the religious diversity there with its huge Muslim population and the Serbian Orthodoxs as well as Croatians.

Kyoto Japan or Lhasa Tibet, China.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Sarajevo Bosina because I am very interested in the religious diversity there with its huge Muslim population and the Serbian Orthodoxs as well as Croatians.

Kyoto Japan or Lhasa Tibet, China.
Kyoto - more developed, has a better climate and more oxygen.

Torshavn, Faroe Islands vs. Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Old 04-30-2021, 10:24 AM

676 posts, read 650,899 times
Quote:
Kyoto - more developed, has a better climate and more oxygen.

Torshavn, Faroe Islands vs. Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Charlottetown. Winters are colder but the summers are especially nice in Atlantic Canada (rivals the much beloved PNW summers... it's much shorter but better place to be in the peak month of mid July- mid Aug).

Charlottetown is actually pretty developed for its size and is well connected to the rest of the Maritimes, with plenty of mid-size city amenities. Torshavn is really isolated and very small, even though in another context the Faroes wouldn't be the worst place to live.

Two warm weather beach towns far flung from the city centers, one of which is supposedly an expat safe haven:
Yzerfontein, South Africa or Broome, Australia?

Old 05-01-2021, 05:15 PM

3,996 posts, read 6,818,476 times
Salvador, Brazil or Anadyr, Russia?

Old 05-02-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Charlottetown. Winters are colder but the summers are especially nice in Atlantic Canada (rivals the much beloved PNW summers... it's much shorter but better place to be in the peak month of mid July- mid Aug).

Charlottetown is actually pretty developed for its size and is well connected to the rest of the Maritimes, with plenty of mid-size city amenities. Torshavn is really isolated and very small, even though in another context the Faroes wouldn't be the worst place to live.

Two warm weather beach towns far flung from the city centers, one of which is supposedly an expat safe haven:
Yzerfontein, South Africa or Broome, Australia?
Broome for me. I love almost everything about Australia and Broome is about as good a beach town as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Salvador, Brazil or Anadyr, Russia?
Salvador for sure. It's lively, fun has an interesting culture and beautiful beaches. Anadyr looks like a depressing polar wasteland by comparison.

Port-aux-Français, Kerguelen Islands, France vs. Grise Fiord, NU, Canada

Old 05-02-2021, 05:45 PM

37,246 posts, read 39,529,579 times
Quote:
Broome for me. I love almost everything about Australia and Broome is about as good a beach town as you can get.

Salvador for sure. It's lively, fun has an interesting culture and beautiful beaches. Anadyr looks like a depressing polar wasteland by comparison.

Port-aux-Français, Kerguelen Islands, France vs. Grise Fiord, NU, Canada

Port-aux-Français, probably. I think as more a basecamp for scientific and other activities than as a real community, it has the pluses of constant new people coming in from interesting places, but the negative is that there aren't going to be long-lasting relationships of sorts. If this is something where I can never set foot away from the settlement, then maybe Grise Fiord since there's a permanent community.

Two hill stations of the former British Empire:

Platres, Cyprus or Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World