|Median resident age:||39.3 years|
|Illinois median age:||39.6 years|
Zip codes: 62951.
Johnston City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $60,284 (it was $35,700 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $531.
- White alone - 3,217 (90.4%)
- Two or more races - 189 (5.3%)
- Hispanic - 86 (2.4%)
- American Indian alone - 37 (1.0%)
- Asian alone - 27 (0.8%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.03%)
Latest news from Johnston City, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (18.1%), Irish (14.3%), German (14.1%), United States (9.6%), Italian (5.7%), Scotch-Irish (3.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 05/04/1896
Elevation: 450 feet
Land area: 1.95 square miles.
Population density: 1,804 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Johnston City:
- High school or higher: 77.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 7.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Johnston City city:
- Never married: 27.4%
- Now married: 51.2%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 5.4%
- Divorced: 13.6%
28 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 8 registered sex offenders living in Johnston City, Illinois as of July 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Johnston City to the number of sex offenders is 441 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,046 (1.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $515 (1.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Evansville, IN (75.9 miles , pop. 121,582).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (90.7 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (285.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Whiteash, IL (1.5 miles ), Spillertown, IL (1.9 miles ), Freeman Spur, IL (2.2 miles ), Pittsburg, IL (2.3 miles ), West Frankfort, IL (2.3 miles ), Herrin, IL (2.4 miles ), Marion, IL (2.5 miles ), Energy, IL (2.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $37,300
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 1999: 6 buildings, average cost: $55,500
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $95,000
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $95,000
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $95,000
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $95,000
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $95,000
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $74,500
- 2006: 9 buildings, average cost: $63,100
- 2007: 7 buildings, average cost: $63,100
- 2009: 19 buildings, average cost: $127,600
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 37.82 N, Longitude: 88.93 W
Area code: 618
|Crime rates in Johnston City by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 304.8)||325.1||280.9||381.9||388.0||294.9||358.6||400.4||510.3||613.3||628.4||809.1||475.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Johnston City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.45|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -192 (-5.1%).
- Retail trade (31%)
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Transportation and warehousing (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (6%)
- Construction (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (19%)
- Finance and insurance (17%)
- Health care and social assistance (16%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (6%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
Average climate in Johnston City, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Johnston City-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 78% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/18/1957, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 22.8 miles away from the Johnston City city center killed one person and injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 12/18/1957, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 6.5 miles away from the city center killed 11 people and injured 200 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Johnston City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 74% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 71.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 56.2 miles away from Johnston City center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 63.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 89.4 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 100.0 miles away from Johnston City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 74.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Williamson County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 3, Floods: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: William C. Marland - Soilder.
Hospitals and medical centers near Johnston City:
- PARKVIEW CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; WEST FRANKFORT, IL)
- SHAWNEE CHRISTIAN NURSING CTR (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; HERRIN, IL)
- LIBERTY HOUSE (Hospital, about 6 miles away; MARION, IL)
- PARKWAY MANOR (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; MARION, IL)
- HERRIN REHAB AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; HERRIN, IL)
- TIP HOSPICE PROGRAM (Hospital, about 6 miles away; HERRIN, IL)
- HERRIN HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 6 miles away; HERRIN, IL)
Amtrak station near Johnston City:
- 18 miles: CARBONDALE (401 S. ILLINOIS AVE.) . Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Johnston City:
- John A Logan College (about 11 miles; Carterville, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,995)
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (about 18 miles; Carbondale, IL; FT enrollment: 14,539)
- Rend Lake College (about 22 miles; Ina, IL; FT enrollment: 2,778)
- Southeast Missouri State University (about 49 miles; Cape Girardeau, MO; FT enrollment: 9,678)
- Kaskaskia College (about 54 miles; Centralia, IL; FT enrollment: 3,867)
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 56 miles; Paducah, KY; FT enrollment: 4,107)
- University of Southern Indiana (about 70 miles; Evansville, IN; FT enrollment: 9,532)
Public high schools in Johnston City:
Public elementary/middle schools in Johnston City:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Sweet lake is now called Arrowhead lake
Notable locations in Johnston City: Johnston City Public Library (A), Williamson County Fire Protection District Station 5 (B), Johnston City Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Johnston City include: Church of God of Prophecy (A), First Baptist Church of Johnston City (B), First Christian Church (C), First United Methodist Church of Johnston City (D), Gospel Mission Church (E), Saint Pauls Catholic Church (F), Washington Avenue Baptist Church (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Lakeview Cemetery (1), Hock Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Sweet Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: Farris Motel (14963 Route 37).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 75.2. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 37.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 6.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 24.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.59. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.5 miles away from the city center.
(25.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Black residents, 73.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 51.3% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Johnston City compared to Illinois state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Johnston City (2011 data):
- Southern Illinois Bank: at 1012 West Broadway, branch established on 1999/09/10. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $90.0 mil, Deposits: $81.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 4 total offices
- First Bank: Johnston City Facility at 908 Grand Avenue, branch established on 1904/12/31. Info updated 2007/12/04: Bank assets: $6,579.8 mil, Deposits: $5,800.6 mil, headquarters in Creve Coeur, MO, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 148 total offices, Holding Company: First Banks, Inc.
- MidCountry Bank: Johnston City Branch at 101 West Broadway Blvd, branch established on 1999/05/07. Info updated 2011/07/21: Bank assets: $674.7 mil, Deposits: $534.7 mil, headquarters in Marion, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 23 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (71%)
- Electricity (26%)
- No fuel used (3%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Johnston City city (based on Williamson County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 52.08%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||American Baptist Churches in the USA|
|Name||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||United Church of Christ||Presbyterian Church (USA)||National Association of Free Will Baptists||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Williamson County:||2.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Williamson County:||0.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Williamson County:||4.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||10||$4,572|
|Police Protection - Officers||4||$16,217||$48,651||9||$6,708|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||1||$1,696|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||3||$777|
|Totals for Government||13||$43,339||$40,005||26||$16,054|
Johnston City government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $632,000 ($179.34)
Housing and Community Development: $370,000 ($104.99)
Financial Administration: $353,000 ($100.17)
Police Protection: $320,000 ($90.81)
Local Fire Protection: $243,000 ($68.96)
Regular Highways: $235,000 ($66.69)
Sewerage: $228,000 ($64.70)
Health - Other: $93,000 ($26.39)
Parks and Recreation: $74,000 ($21.00)
Miscellaneous Commercial Activities, NEC: $55,000 ($15.61)
General - Other: $48,000 ($13.62)
Libraries: $35,000 ($9.93)
- General - Interest on Debt: $24,000 ($6.81)
- Other Capital Outlay - Housing and Community Development: $475,000 ($134.79)
Central Staff Services: $25,000 ($7.09)
Water Utilities: $23,000 ($6.53)
Police Protection: $23,000 ($6.53)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $931,000 ($264.19)
Johnston City government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $332,000 ($94.21)
Solid Waste Management: $101,000 ($28.66)
Parks and Recreation: $64,000 ($18.16)
All Other: $13,000 ($3.69)
- Federal Intergovernmental - Water Utilities: $23,000 ($6.53)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $62,000 ($17.59)
Interest Earnings: $32,000 ($9.08)
Fines and Forfeits: $14,000 ($3.97)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $779,000 ($221.06)
- State Intergovernmental - Housing and Community Development: $500,000 ($141.88)
General Local Government Support: $496,000 ($140.75)
Highways: $103,000 ($29.23)
Public Welfare: $23,000 ($6.53)
All Other: $6,000 ($1.70)
- Tax - Public Utilities Sales: $265,000 ($75.20)
Property: $219,000 ($62.15)
Other License: $14,000 ($3.97)
Johnston City government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $483,000 ($137.06)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $422,000 ($119.75)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $61,000 ($17.31)
Johnston City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $1,354,000 ($384.22)
6.11% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,238 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Jackson County, IL||1.13% ($27,864 average AGI)|
|from Franklin County, IL||0.80% ($32,411)|
|from Johnson County, IL||0.31% ($34,026)|
5.69% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,148 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved to foreign countries ($384 average AGI)
Williamson County: 0.04% Illinois average: 0.07%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Johnston City:
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGGH (1150 AM; 5 kW; MARION, IL)
- WFRX (1300 AM; 1 kW; WEST FRANKFORT, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WJPF (1340 AM; 1 kW; HERRIN, IL; Owner: ZRG OF ILLINOIS, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMIX (940 AM; 5 kW; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: WITHERS BROADCASTING CO OF ILLINOIS)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WMCL (1060 AM; 3 kW; MCLEANSBORO, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WCIL (1020 AM; daytime; 1 kW; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: LYLE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- KZIM (960 AM; 5 kW; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Johnston City:
- WDDD-FM (107.3 FM; MARION, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVZA (92.7 FM; HERRIN, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQUL (97.7 FM; WEST FRANKFORT, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WXLT (103.5 FM; CHRISTOPHER, IL; Owner: ZRG OF ILLINOIS, INC.)
- WCIL-FM (101.5 FM; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: LYLE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WOOZ-FM (99.9 FM; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: ZIMMER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WAWJ (90.1 FM; MARION, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WQRL (106.3 FM; BENTON, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WISH-FM (98.9 FM; GALATIA, IL; Owner: GALATIA FM JOINT VENTURE)
- WBVN (104.5 FM; CARRIER MILLS, IL; Owner: KENNETH W. AND JANE A. ANDERSON)
- WUEZ (95.1 FM; CARTERVILLE, IL; Owner: ZRG OF ILLINOIS, INC.)
- WSIU (91.9 FM; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
- WTAO-FM (105.1 FM; MURPHYSBORO, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDQN-FM (95.9 FM; DUQUOIN, IL; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WXAN (103.9 FM; AVA, IL; Owner: HAROLD L. LAWDER)
TV broadcast stations around Johnston City:
- W15BU (Channel 17; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WSIL-TV (Channel 3; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: WSIL-TV, INC.)
- WDKA (Channel 49; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WDKA ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- KFVS-TV (Channel 12; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WSIU-TV (Channel 8; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
- WPSD-TV (Channel 6; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WPSD-TV, LLC)
- KBSI (Channel 23; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: KBSI LICENSEE L.P.)
- WTCT (Channel 27; MARION, IL; Owner: TRI-STATE CHRISTIAN TV, INC.)
- W10AH (Channel 10; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: WPSD-TV, LLC)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 8
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 9
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 1
- Fatalities: 9
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 17
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 2
- Fatal accident count: 118
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 179
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 40
- Fatalities: 127
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 313
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 20
Total length: 15 meters (49ft)
Total costs: $304,000
Total average daily traffic: 38,750
Total average daily truck traffic: 9,833
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 55
- Hazardous Condition: 13
- Service Call: 2
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Johnston City
|Most common first names in Johnston City, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Johnston City, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Johnston City, IL|
Johnston City on our top lists:
- #24 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of rapes in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data"
- #34 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Music stores"
- #67 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Personal and laundry services"
- #70 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2015.