Junction City, Missouri
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||27.7 years|
|Missouri median age:||38.4 years|
Zip codes: 63645.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $14,043 (it was $11,561 in 2000)
Junction City village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $69,415 (it was $42,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $134,621; Detached houses: $131,394; Mobile homes: $128,430
Median gross rent in 2015: $570.
Races in Junction City, MO (2010)
- 31195.1%White alone
- 72.1%Two or more races
- 20.6%Black alone
- 10.3%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Small businesses are especially popular in Florida Mar 28
- Early delinquencies are more likely for higher income borrowers Mar 26
- Selecting an airline for a trip Mar 24
- People with mortgaged homes are the least risky borrowers Mar 22
- Food services is among the worst-performing sectors in the Midwest Mar 20
|Do you consider Overland Park a suburb of KCMO or KCK? (198 replies)|
|Can someone explain the allure of Kansas City, MO? (143 replies)|
|Long ago on independence square (10763 replies)|
|Isn't Greater KC Area Totally Not Like Traditional Kansas? (52 replies)|
|kansas trying to lure amc (137 replies)|
|Funkhouser calls out JoCo for poaching (55 replies)|
Latest news from Junction City, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (22.3%), German (12.1%), English (9.6%), Italian (6.4%), Irish (3.8%), French (1.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1952
Elevation: 745 feet
Land area: 0.36 square miles.
Population density: 915 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Junction City:
- High school or higher: 52.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 14.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Junction City village:
- Never married: 49.7%
- Now married: 23.9%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 14.2%
6 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Junction City village:||0.8% ($340)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: St. Louis, MO (73.2 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (326.3 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Fredericktown, MO (0.9 miles ), Cobalt, MO (1.3 miles) , Mine La Motte, MO (1.8 miles ), Cherokee Pass, MO (2.4 miles ), Marquand, MO (3.4 miles ), Farmington, MO (4.1 miles ), Doe Run, MO (4.1 miles ), Arcadia, MO (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 37.57 N, Longitude: 90.29 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 573
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (25%)
- Retail trade (21%)
- Transportation and warehousing (13%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (8%)
- Construction (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (49%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (11%)
- Wholesale trade (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Manufacturing (4%)
- Retail trade (4%)
- Transportation occupations (23%)
- Production occupations (17%)
- Material moving occupations (13%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (8%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (8%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (8%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (4%)
- Healthcare support occupations (20%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (11%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (5%)
- Personal care and service occupations (5%)
- Production occupations (5%)
Average climate in Junction City, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Junction City-area historical tornado activity is near Missouri state average. It is 69% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/22/1969, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.4 miles away from the Junction City village center killed 4 people and injured 14 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 9/22/2006, a category F4 tornado 26.2 miles away from the village center injured 5 people and caused $7 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Junction City-area historical earthquake activity is near Missouri state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 49.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 144.4 miles away from Junction City center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 74.1 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 133.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 156.6 miles away from Junction City center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 140.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Madison County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 7, Winter Storms: 6, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Junction City:
- CLARU DEVILLE HEALTHCARE (Nursing Home, about 1 miles away; FREDERICKTOWN, MO)
- CLARU DEVILLE NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 1 miles away; FREDERICKTOWN, MO)
- MADISON MEDICAL CENTER HOME HEALTH AGENCY (Home Health Center, about 2 miles away; FREDERICKTOWN, MO)
- MADISON MEDICAL CENTER (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; FREDERICKTOWN, MO)
- RAI CARE CENTER ARMORY ST (Dialysis Facility, about 2 miles away; FREDERICKTOWN, MO)
- SAFE HARBOR HOSPICE INC (Hospital, about 2 miles away; FREDERICKTOWN, MO)
- ST FRANCOIS MANOR (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; FARMINGTON, MO)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Junction City:
- Mineral Area College (about 22 miles; Park Hills, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- Southeast Missouri State University (about 46 miles; Cape Girardeau, MO; FT enrollment: 9,678)
- Jefferson College (about 50 miles; Hillsboro, MO; FT enrollment: 3,975)
- Three Rivers Community College (about 56 miles; Poplar Bluff, MO; FT enrollment: 3,360)
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (about 60 miles; Carbondale, IL; FT enrollment: 14,539)
- John A Logan College (about 67 miles; Carterville, IL; FT enrollment: 3,995)
- Southwestern Illinois College (about 69 miles; Belleville, IL; FT enrollment: 9,085)
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 70.4. This is about average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2010 was 2.53. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 24.1 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 6.70. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 22.9 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 34.1. This is about average. Closest monitor was 9.1 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2003 was 0.320. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 20.5 miles away from the city center.
(52.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 68.4% for Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander residents, 100.0% for two or more races residents)
|This village:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Banks with branches in Junction City (2011 data):
- New Era Bank: Junction City Facility at State Highways 72 And 00, branch established on 1977/02/25. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $278.8 mil, Deposits: $238.2 mil, headquarters in Fredericktown, MO, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: New Era Bancorporation, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Junction City village (based on Madison County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Madison County:||1.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Madison County:||7.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Junction City, MO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||4||$126|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||4||$126|
6.79% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,522 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from St. Francois County, MO||2.20% ($22,656 average AGI)|
|from St. Louis County, MO||0.37% ($30,733)|
|from Bollinger County, MO||0.29% ($20,833)|
6.83% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($24,996 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Junction City:
- KYLS (1450 AM; 1 kW; FREDERICKTOWN, MO; Owner: DOCKINS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KREI (800 AM; 1 kW; FARMINGTON, MO; Owner: KREI, INC.)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- KZIM (960 AM; 5 kW; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KAPE (1550 AM; 5 kW; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- KWOC (930 AM; 5 kW; POPLAR BLUFF, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC)
- KSGM (980 AM; 1 kW; CHESTER, IL; Owner: DONZE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Junction City:
- KTJJ (98.5 FM; FARMINGTON, MO; Owner: KREI, INC.)
- KYLS-FM (95.9 FM; IRONTON, MO; Owner: DOCKINS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KBDZ (93.1 FM; PERRYVILLE, MO; Owner: D/B/A DONZE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KDBB (104.3 FM; BONNE TERRE, MO; Owner: MKS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KBGM (91.1 FM; PARK HILLS, MO; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- KYRX (97.3 FM; MARBLE HILL, MO; Owner: DANA R. WITHERS)
- KPWB-FM (104.9 FM; PIEDMONT, MO; Owner: HUNT BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
- KPNT (105.7 FM; ST. GENEVIEVE, MO; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KMHM (104.1 FM; LUTESVILLE, MO; Owner: HAROLD L. LAWDER)
- KEZS-FM (102.9 FM; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: ZIMMER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KGMO (100.7 FM; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- KHZR (97.7 FM; POTOSI, MO; Owner: FOUR HIM ENTERPRISES, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Junction City:
- KBSI (Channel 23; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: KBSI LICENSEE L.P.)
- KFVS-TV (Channel 12; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 27m89ftTotal length
- $399,000Total costs
- 26,763Total average daily traffic
- 3,928Total average daily truck traffic
- 43,218Total future (year 2035) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (53%)
- Utility gas (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (24%)
Junction City compared to Missouri state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.