Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 05:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Met admitted it was personal because of what I said about her friend (who I did not know was her friend).
I believe I later stated that in fact I would have had the same reaction had it been someone else besides the elusive Mr. Crunch (and it isn't because he's a hottie either, I swear). I don't feel like watching this board become a place where people shriek obscenities at one another because they disagree over political ideologies. As I said before, that's nothing but the kind of lower 48 bs that we don't need here and it is not at all reflective of the Alaska that I know.

One of the social benefits of living in Alaska--at least in my experience--has been that people have a basic underlying respect for the fact that someone may have different views and opinions. When people like yourself move up with your shrill intolerance and your one dimensional labels, you're taking away from that and replacing it with something that never quite flourished in the north before.

My friend Darlene in the Susitna said it very well, I think. She said that your closest neighbor may be the biggest jerk around for miles, but let some outsider come in and try to mess with him and by god, he's your jerk.

No one begrudges you your political leanings. But when you start shrieking your sub literate labels at people because you've got nothing else, you aren't an Alaskan at all. And isn't that what this thread is supposed to be about?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-31-2008 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:29 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,554 times
Believe it or not I agree with most of what you just said and you do make a very good point. I have no problem with anyone's view of politics, I have mine and others have their's and that is how it should be. I was talking to CC about how everyone deserves their day in court and a fair trial before being persecuted in the public eye. He disagreed with me when it came to Stevens. I wasn't trying to push my politics on him or anyone else and I never have. Just showing my patriotism and respect for our rights as American citizens.
But I agree I don't want to see this borard become a place for people to be obscene to one another either.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:35 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

My friend Darlene in the Susitna said it very well, I think. She said that your closest neighbor may be the biggest jerk around for miles, but let some outsider come in and try to mess with him and by god, he's your jerk.
That reminds me of when I first got to OK. Someone said something about redneck jerks, and someone else said 'They may be jerks, alright, but their mamas taught 'em their manners at home. They are by god polite jerks.'

She was right, too - I've never been called 'Ma'am' so many times in my life as on my first day walking around my new town!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 PM

Well, CC's post was about Steven's trial not taking in place in Anchorage, not about his right to a fair trial per se.

Believe me, CC has been around Alaska a lot longer than most people here, and he does love to push the envelope.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to push my politics on him or anyone else and I never have.
There's nothing inherently wrong with trying to push your politics on someone; that's part of what people do when they engage in political debate. Some people have it down to an art form, really, and it makes for thought provoking reading.

So no, I don't think you've tried to push your political views on anyone here as much as you've attempted to use your perceptions of what others believe as some kind of crude weapon against them. You need to be honest and acknowledge that---it really isn't the worst thing in the world, it's totally human, but it won't serve you well in Alaska or anywhere else. Although you'll find no shortage of those who share your political leanings in Wasilla, you may just find a shortage of people willing to accept that sort of hostility directed at their neighbors and friends because of idealogical differences.

Being interested in politics as a young mother is an excellent thing and I would encourage you to nurture that in yourself; you have every right to take a vested interest in the world that your children are going to inhabit as adults.

Because it isn't the "damned liberals" or the ultra-conservatives who are going to be the downfall of this country, should it come to that (and some people would say that it already is). It's the polarization that's gone on for more than twenty five years now that's tearing this nation apart.

And--for instance-- when we pick at each other over things like the size of each other's family's, it just contributes to that. When I said that I got it right the first time, that's an old joke and was possibly misplaced, but it wasn't directed at you. When you stated that at least your husband stuck around and wanted a large family with you, that was misplaced as well because you know nothing of that situation. The truth is is that the man would have been just as good a father to eight children as he was to one, which was incredible. He is a fantastic man, one of my best friends, and even after I left him to pursue a degree in Botany, the three of us remained a family. It was my decision not to have more children and he was always fine with that. If I could do it again I wouldn't change a thing.

That may be more information than I really want to put on a public board, but then, you've been forthcoming with personal stuff yourself, and I just wanted to give you some perspective. We're both mothers, we both obviously love our children very much, and we probably have more in common than not simply by virtue of being moms.

By the way, welcome to Alaska

Old 08-31-2008, 07:49 PM

Kari, I've never been to Oklahoma, but I've heard it's pretty nice that way.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,554 times
Thank you so much Met, I am literally tearing up...

I appreciate you telling me the remark about family size was not towards me personally. I do admit I get incrediably defensive about that. I get it everytime we go out in public together and you really don't see how ugly people can be towards a big family, until you are on the receiving end of that.
I am very sorry that I said anything about you not having a husband, even tho I was not intentionally being malicious, it was misplaced and uncalled for... and I'm sorry.

I agree about the politics of this country and the people's downfall as well. I fortuneatly stay away from that subject in public and have only engaged in it a few times on here. I am trying to take more of an interest in politics and I think it serves me and my family well to do so. My hubby can sometimes care less, he doesn't like any of them. My oldest who is 15 has started to in the last few years because of the war. Her favorite class coming up this year is World History and I think we will both be learning a lot together.

I really am sorry for every "ugly & stupid" thing I said to you and I'm not too big to admit I'm wrong when I'm wrong....... and I was wrong. I look forward to more rewarding discussions with you in the future Met. Thank you again!

I'm sorry for my ugly remark to Captain Crunch as well and will personally send him a PM.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:30 PM

[Quote[I appreciate you telling me the remark about family size was not towards me personally. I do admit I get incrediably defensive about that. I get it everytime we go out in public together and you really don't see how ugly people can be towards a big family, until you are on the receiving end of that.[/quote]

Okay then, when you go out in public, hold your head up and be proud of your children. Look people in the eye and smile if they give you funny looks.

When my son and my nieces were all children together, I did get funny looks in the grocery stores now and then, so I think I know what you mean.

You know, I don't even own a television set. No because I can't afford one, but but I really don't want one. I can rent movies if I want to vegetate.

But back in the day when I had just inherited a huge big screen from the inlaws as well as about ten other tvs....they had a huge house with a tv in every room....I started watching that show with Bill Cosby on it. The only thing I really remember about that show is a segment where the mother was taking her four children downtown to go shopping, and she said that she was looking forward to showing off her beautiful children in public.

Take on that attitude and your children will pick up on it as well.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Hmm... Looks like everyone made nice & made up.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,944,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Hmm... Looks like everyone made nice & made up.
Happy to see that too, there are some pretty awesome women on here...{{group hug}}, and sorry, I'm being a silly mush

Old 08-31-2008, 10:17 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,810,414 times
Ok you two... give it a rest before I Lock this thread also like my Uncle Ted thread

DC8....as Met pointed out you read something into my thread that wasn't there, I simply pointed out that Uncle Ted's attempt to move his trial to a GOP friendly climate in Anchorage failed....neat trick had it worked

Please point out where I mentioned Uncle Ted was guilty prior to his trial...?

Calling me a Connie A$$hole....you have no clue, I'm way worse than that

Carry on and get back to topic....you guys hi-jacked the OP thread which sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska