Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I feel the same way but I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend this law is going to serve as Robocop and suddenly scare all the kidnappers, drug dealers, gang members away. These guys are laughing at guys like you. Go ahead and think 1070 is making you safer because it's not. They don't give a rat's behind if their citizenship status is checked once they are arrested. Once they are arrested, they are already screwed. What does a drug dealer care if his citizenship status is checked on his way to jail.
You're probably right about the criminals not caring whether they get the additional charge of being here illegally when they're arrested but there's plenty of illegals that are here draining our system and costing the taxpayer a ton of money who are scared. SB1070 was not passed to scare away the criminals, it was passed to scare away the illegals and I doubt any of them are laughing.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM

613 posts, read 960,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I feel the same way but I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend this law is going to serve as Robocop and suddenly scare all the kidnappers, drug dealers, gang members away. These guys are laughing at guys like you. Go ahead and think 1070 is making you safer because it's not. They don't give a rat's behind if their citizenship status is checked once they are arrested. Once they are arrested, they are already screwed. What does a drug dealer care if his citizenship status is checked on his way to jail.
The dude I quoted stated that this poor, poor blue collar worker should be able to stay here cause he's married and got 5 kids. I know it's not safe. I live 9 miles from where the Pinal County Sheriff Deputy was shot by drug dealers. So I know first hand its not safe anywhere in Arizona. But it is what it is, if you don't have the documentation that states your suppose to be here, then when you get caught don't ***** and complain because the State of Arizona doesn't owe you a damn thing except a ride back to where you came from.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:35 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You are worried that 1070 puts people in buckets (being judged by the color of your skin). I suspect if I was Hispanic, I might be a little concerned about 1070 as well. I also would worry that I might be wrongly questioned occasionally. As in, once every few years would be bad enough. I'd be upset if that happened to me but could deal with that (IF it ever happened). BUT... I'd give the police some crap if I got pulled over because of the color of my skin and let his superiors know about it as well if it was way out of line.

Saying all of this, now you are making judgments on who is in favor of this. You assume Red-Neck uneducated Billy Bob types. Who is guilty of prejudging people now??

People running companies are Capitalists. They went the "Ivy League" schools because they knew it would open doors and they are THE finest educational institutions in the world. On average, I'd predict most CEO's are Republicans (Ivy League educated or not). On average, the surplus of money as well as the lack of money has a way of changing our political view points.

For me. I'm looking to move to AZ at least 1/2 time. I don't want to move to a State like CA (my 1st choice by the way) that cannot say no to spiraling budgets. Illegal’s are a big part of their financial problems. AZ was bleeding in red ink with all of the giveaways. 1070 was about the only way to fight back from drowning in debt. So for me, I'm more convinced than ever to move to AZ.

Oh, I'm a Republican, college educated (Engineering and Business) and own a business what would hire people in AZ. I also know plenty of business owners. In my sphere of people that I deal with, well over 1/2 are Republicans.
Then you know that capitalists don't like volatility and the stock market certainly reflects that. Why would a company choose to invest in Arizona if the state is undergoing boycotts. Why would tourism related businesses invest in Arizona knowing there are an increasing number of cancellation of events? I'm a Republican too. I'm also a physician who attended an Ivy League school. Republicans vary and many are socially liberal but vote Republican because they are fiscally conservative. I would also agree that most CEO's are Republican but are also socially liberal. There is a difference between a Wall Street Republican and a Tea Party Republican. These Republicans want to save taxes not violate civil liberties so you are incorrectly assuming that all Republicans are alike and socially conservative. And statistically speaking, Democrats have attained a higher level of education and earn a higher average income than Republicans FYI

Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,153 times
Default If 1070 was overturned, would you leave Arizona?

There have been several lawsuits made on behalf of Arizona city councils and citizens. Hypothetically speaking, if 1070 were overturned or delayed, would that make you consider leaving Arizona. If you contemplated moving here, would it effect your decision to do so if this were the cause. I was curious and wanted to see how our residents would react if the law didn't go into effect. For the record, I favor the law but am concerned about our public image and boycotts as a result of the law. I am genuinely curious how some of my fellow Arizona residents would react, would you consider a move to Utah or a more conservative state?

Old 05-27-2010, 05:15 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,381 times
Mexico does not object to U.S. plans to station troops along the border between the two nations as long as the soldiers do not arrest Mexicans trying to get into the United States, President Felipe Calderon said on Thursday.

Mexico backs U.S. border troops plan in principle | Reuters

I'm so happy that the twerp doesn't mind that we work to secure our border. Wonder if he'd mind if the guardsman detain the illegals till the border patrol comes to pick them up?

Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabygirl View Post
First- AZ central isn't a fan of the governor, so they will go looking for these stories. Second what this man is saying is this: The law needs to change to make it easier for a man who has been here working for 2 decades to become a citizen. Very few people in AZ will say any different.

HOWEVER - and someone with more info than me can answer this - IF HIS WIFE IS LEGAL, Doesn't that confer legal status on the spouse if they have been married for x number of years? Or is he not telling the whole story? People marry legal residents all the time to become legal. If he's been married the whole 20 years to her, he should not just be on a "visa" - or do i have that wrong--

Another thing - when I first got here and didn't understand the whole issue, I had a friend who was married to a guy who was a landscaper. So I had him do my yard. He was of Mexican descent. At one point I asked him if he was legal, and he said they had to be married for something like 2 or 5 years to be legal. But then he laughed and said, "My wife in Mexico doesn't know about this. So I don't know how long I can be here."

just sayin...

About this story:
1) we don't know if he is telling the truth - and we don't know who he is, and we don't have any facts except that our news media is pushing a breathless angle
2) he is illegal - he needs to be at the consulate or talking with an immigration lawyer to get that fixed if his story is correct, not trying to get sympathy for us trying to enforce the border. (And he needs to remember where he came from and what they would do THERE if the situation were reversed.)
3) As one cop told me - if they are obeying the law, if they are minding their own business, we don't have a reason to pull them over, we don't pull them over. We don't have that kind of time. (Again, I recognize that we have a Sheriff who has been known to do that --- but that's not because of this law. That's just Joe. And nothing has changed from that angle.)
4) What did THEY do to find this guy? Profile? Go around and ask people if they are legal or illegal? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzard View Post
There were ways for him to become a legal American citizen once he married one, it's called paper work. Shame on them for not doing it the right way when it was there for them to do. I have no sympathy for people who have been here for however long and never became legal when they could have. Way to stick it to those who have!

Yeah, way to stick it to those who hire illegals. Love the hypocrisy. Keep it coming

Old 05-27-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
You're probably right about the criminals not caring whether they get the additional charge of being here illegally when they're arrested but there's plenty of illegals that are here draining our system and costing the taxpayer a ton of money who are scared. SB1070 was not passed to scare away the criminals, it was passed to scare away the illegals and I doubt any of them are laughing.
Tell the governor and all the forum members that because everyone is bragging how it's going to stop the kidnappers and make us safer. And ultimately, it's not going to scare away the illegals either. They will just drive safer, and remain more low profile. It's not going to prevent them from coming here.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:39 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,419,889 times
I think if we overturn SB1070 the immigration problem will only get worse, illegals will feel they can come here freely again and not be prosecuted for being illegal.

If we do not keep SB1070 I will be leaving AZ, but I would probably leave either way.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
The dude I quoted stated that this poor, poor blue collar worker should be able to stay here cause he's married and got 5 kids. I know it's not safe. I live 9 miles from where the Pinal County Sheriff Deputy was shot by drug dealers. So I know first hand its not safe anywhere in Arizona. But it is what it is, if you don't have the documentation that states your suppose to be here, then when you get caught don't ***** and complain because the State of Arizona doesn't owe you a damn thing except a ride back to where you came from.
Yeah but don't you feel like a pawn? Doesn't it make you mad that this is all a bunch of hot air and nothing is going to change. You live in Pinal County so you know what it's like. Do you honestly believe this one law is going to change everything. Cmon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona