Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times

Advertisements

Mena looks like a pretty neat little town, from what I've seen (strictly through pictures and google street view).

BereniceUK, I'm very curious....have you ever been anywhere in Arkansas besides the southern part? Because if haven't, and you think that's beautiful, well....I really hate to say this, but you haven't even seen the beautiful parts of Arkansas.

(running and ducking the tomatoes thrown by the Delta lovers)

I've been keeping my mouth shut, but the curiosity is killing me. What is the deal with you being in that part of Arkansas? Visiting relatives? Honestly, I really don't see how anyone who is used to the beauty of England would find southern Arkansas beautiful. Just something different, I guess. We all need a little variety in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 10:39 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,354,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
BereniceUK, I'm very curious....have you ever been anywhere in Arkansas besides the southern part? Because if haven't, and you think that's beautiful, well....I really hate to say this, but you haven't even seen the beautiful parts of Arkansas.

(running and ducking the tomatoes thrown by the Delta lovers)

I've been keeping my mouth shut, but the curiosity is killing me. What is the deal with you being in that part of Arkansas? Visiting relatives? Honestly, I really don't see how anyone who is used to the beauty of England would find southern Arkansas beautiful. Just something different, I guess. We all need a little variety in our lives.
Next time I visit my Arkansas friends we're planning on going north to the Ozark Folk Center at Mountain View. I might book us all an overnight stay in the area so we could do some extra sightseeing up that way as I don't think they've been north of Little Rock.

I wouldn't say where I've been in Arkansas is beautiful. It was so flat! The towns were interesting, yes, and I love the town squares, even Star City's which was tiny! If I'd had the opportunity I'd have rented a car for a day and headed either north or further up the Mississippi River, somewhere like Helena. (By the way, while I was staying in Memphis I took a bus ride out to West Memphis. Now that was probably something I didn't need to have done!)

Almost everywhere I visit in the US is so different to England. Once in a while the landscape might remind me of England but then there's places like rural Kansas where the road is a straight line for what seems like forever. Fascinating, wouldn't have missed the experience, but I was glad I wasn't doing the driving that day!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,442 times
Berenice, when you plan your trip to Mt. View/Ozark Folk Center, be sure to plan and extra day to visit nearby Blanchard Springs Caverns and surrounding area. It's a sight worth the effort.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:54 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Berenice, when you plan your trip to Mt. View/Ozark Folk Center, be sure to plan and extra day to visit nearby Blanchard Springs Caverns and surrounding area. It's a sight worth the effort.
Man, ya beat me to it Slim.

That'll be the end of her flat Arkansas for awhile.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 PM

I'm posting this photo to show Berenice what my Arkansas looks like. This is the Ouachita National Forest in the Ouachita Mountains of Montgomery County near the area where I grew up and later spent some of the happiest days of my life. While doing contract archeology work for the ONF I walked over, on, or around most of the mountains in the photo plus many more west of here. Those were the good times.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-arkansas-ouachita-mountains-2.jpg  

Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,354,619 times
Quote:
I'm posting this photo to show Berenice what my Arkansas looks like. This is the Ouachita National Forest in the Ouachita Mountains of Montgomery County near the area where I grew up and later spent some of the happiest days of my life. While doing contract archeology work for the ONF I walked over, on, or around most of the mountains in the photo plus many more west of here. Those were the good times.
Looks wonderful and not too far from where my friends live.

This is the Confederate Cemetery in Camden.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:28 AM

112 posts, read 173,149 times
Quote:
Hi OF....From Harrison I'll be heading due south, traversing East, West along the way. Crossing the Buffalo river at Buffalo Point, (would have preferred to have crossed at Ponca but I have been informed that the level at the moment is particularly low in that area). From BP I'll be cutting back SW over the Ozark N.F, (Searcy, Pope, Johnson counties), toward Clarksville and then on to Magazine Mountain S.P for an overnight stay. From there onto Petit Jean S.P. then The Rock.... From there due west on the 30/270 to Mena and the Talimena trail into OK. I've got 10 days, please tell me I'm going to see some of that fantastic scenry as in your photo!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. DarcyJones View Post
Hi OF....From Harrison I'll be heading due south, traversing East, West along the way. Crossing the Buffalo river at Buffalo Point, (would have preferred to have crossed at Ponca but I have been informed that the level at the moment is particularly low in that area). From BP I'll be cutting back SW over the Ozark N.F, (Searcy, Pope, Johnson counties), toward Clarksville and then on to Magazine Mountain S.P for an overnight stay. From there onto Petit Jean S.P. then The Rock.... From there due west on the 30/270 to Mena and the Talimena trail into OK. I've got 10 days, please tell me I'm going to see some of that fantastic scenry as in your photo!!!
Yes! Mt Magazine Lodge is a great place, though kinda pricy. We spent a wonderful weekend there a few years ago. If you stay in the lodge ask for a top floor room on the valley side. You can see "forever" from up there.

From The Rock on I-30, I suggest you take the Hot Springs/U.S. Highway 70 Exit (111 I think) and follow it until it hits 270 West, east of H.S. When you get into Montgomery County you will be north of the photo but the same mountains. You will then run into U.S. Highway 71, then take it south to Mena. More mountains.

I don't know if the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge will be open by the time you come through but if it is that would be a good place to spend the night on the Talimena Drive. It is going through a complete rebuild/upgrade but I don't know the projected completion date. There was a set-back because they had to fire the first contractor so I don't have a late report on it.

I spent my teen-age years in Mena and roamed all over the surrounding mountains. Oh that was so long ago

Sounds like a wonderful (fast) well planned trip. Welcome back.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 PM

Here is a photo of the Mt. Magazine Lodge and a photo of the clouds moving out after we had stood on our balcony and watched a thunderstorm below us.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-img_7349.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-img_7343.jpg  

Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Queen Wilhelmina not to reopen until spring of 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas