Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:01 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,587 times

Advertisements

@ bigcity guy yeah time square is alot smaller, the buildings are alot bigger though.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:21 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
@ bigcity guy yeah time square is alot smaller, the buildings are alot bigger though.
Times Sq, isn't really that big. The bulk of it is really between 8th Ave and 6th Ave. And 42nd St, to about 48th St. Though, I HATE walking through there. Too many damn tourist!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,950 times
Quote:
Well it has alot of stuff packed into it. Notice how much space is in the streets compared to the huge streets in that square that was shown. Then you cant compare that to what Times Square Has to offer I dont got there often cause i dont need to but i go there every now and then.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Well it has alot of stuff packed into it. Notice how much space is in the streets compared to the huge streets in that square that was shown. Then you cant compare that to what Times Square Has to offer I dont got there often cause i dont need to but i go there every now and then.
Ive been to times square before.. it's similar to shibuya only difference is japanese cities have large walkways (?) for pedestrians. But NYC only has times square with all the flashy lights etc. Tokyo has like 4 districts like that or more (im not from tokyo so idk how many in total), shibuya, shinjyuku, Akihabara, Roppongi etc. Each is around the size of times square or bigger.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 51,554 times
times sq is one the seediest areas of nyc. it shouldnt be seen as the only thing nyc has to offer.nyc is much much more than a block filled with neon lights and billboards.

Quote:
Ive been to times square before.. it's similar to shibuya only difference is japanese cities have large walkways (?) for pedestrians.
uh..thats because the districts in tokyo copied times sq. layout of large billboards,lights, ads etc. for their own streets. keep in mind, times sq has looked very much the same since maybe 1960s. this goes to show you how influential nyc has been for other cities.

people from all over the world want to come to nyc. many japanese go there. the same cant be said for tokyo. tokyo is a major city in asia but it will probably be overshadowed by shanghai, hong kong or beijing in the near future.

Last edited by 63estr; 05-25-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63estr View Post
times sq is one the seediest areas of nyc. it shouldnt be seen as the only thing nyc has to offer.nyc is much much more than a block filled with neon lights and billboards.

uh..thats because the districts in tokyo copied times sq. layout of large billboards,lights, ads etc. for their own streets. keep in mind, times sq has looked very much the same since maybe 1960s. this goes to show you how influential nyc has been for other cities.

people from all over the world want to come to nyc. many japanese go there. the same cant be said for tokyo. tokyo is a major city in asia but it will probably be overshadowed by shanghai, hong kong or beijing in the near future.
I dont think so if you compare japanese cities in the 60s and 70s to NYC even in the past japanese cities were filled with lights and signs more than times square. Actually i think most asian cities are like that from china to korea to japan. Nowadays we have LCD screens everywhere though. Hong kong will not be growing any more than it is right now, shanghai and beijin will overshadow all world cities in probably 40 years. But that is a long time from now. And even in 50 years chinese wont have living standards that japan does (their gdp per capita etc will be half of japans).

Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
Tokyo and Japan has a HUGE tourist presence. I dunno where you come off saying it is overshadowed by other Asian cities. I'd certainly say it rivals NYC.

I saw Russian, English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, American, Canadian, Brazilian, Argentinian, Moroccan, Saudi, Israeli, and Polish tourists in ONE DAY in Tokyo. There are also small gaijin (outsider) neighborhoods in Japan. Now it isn't nearly as diverse as NYC, but there are people there from other countries. There's actually a comedian on youtube, Mr. Cooney: YouTube - tokyocooney's Channel. He's from NYC too.

Remember, Japan is a distinct cultural presence that has successfully adapted it's cultural heritage to Western-style modernism. Many people wnat to see the culture and the bright lights.

Shibuya is just one of those types of squares. There are plenty of major rail stops which have HUGE squares with shops and buildings in excess of 40 stories.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I dont think so if you compare japanese cities in the 60s and 70s to NYC even in the past japanese cities were filled with lights and signs more than times square. Actually i think most asian cities are like that from china to korea to japan. Nowadays we have LCD screens everywhere though. Hong kong will not be growing any more than it is right now, shanghai and beijin will overshadow all world cities in probably 40 years. But that is a long time from now. And even in 50 years chinese wont have living standards that japan does (their gdp per capita etc will be half of japans).
no. times sq first had the look that many major city replicated. and im not talking about just regular lights or signs. but huge, monumental billboards (or lcds today) dominating the streets overwhelming the viewer that times sq. is known for. ive been to several asian cities and they are only replications although cities like tokyo try to do it on a grander scale. to say that tokyo or hong kong came up with idea at the same time is a bit of a distortion. times sq is world famous for mounting billboards/lcds and ads on buildings(reflecting consumer culture) because it was first conceived there.

Last edited by 63estr; 05-25-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 02:20 PM

[quote=eskercurve;8975559]Tokyo and Japan has a HUGE tourist presence. I'd certainly say it rivals NYC. [\quote]

i know tokyo has a large tourist presence, but you cant honestly tell me it attracts the same number foreigners as nyv. nyc has nationalities from all around the world from EVERY corner of the world.

Quote:
I dunno where you come off saying it is overshadowed by other Asian cities.
i made this as a separate point. i also said it was a future probability. its not inconceivable if you consider the number of the chinese population and the monumental effort theyre putting in to rebuild china. btw im not chinese.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
i know tokyo has a large tourist presence, but you cant honestly tell me it attracts the same number foreigners as nyv. nyc has nationalities from all around the world from EVERY corner of the world.

i made this as a separate point. i also said it was a future probability. its not inconceivable if you consider the number of the chinese population and the monumental effort theyre putting in to rebuild china. btw im not chinese.

I dunno man, when I was in Tokyo I saw quite a lot of foreign tourists. It's not unusual to see foreigners in Tokyo. Other parts it is and people will ask you where you're from, etc. Thousands and thousands of them. But I dunno, I've never been to NYC other than just going through it. I leave it up to more worldly people than I to make that decision. To be sure NYC is more of a world icon of America, and since America is seen as more open and accepting, more people wish to visit.

Don't worry man I wasn't knocking you too hard. To be sure both cities have a huge tourist pull and both are world-class cities.

And about the future possibility of other cities in Asia surpassing Tokyo, I totally agree. At some point Shanghai and Beijing definitely will. Some say it already has, but I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia