Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:12 AM

21 posts, read 51,035 times

Advertisements

Race relations can be tense in ASEAN. They live together harmoniously (usually not killing each other) but separately. Living in Singapore coming from California there are hardly any mixed marriages here versus the US. I'm sure there are lots of factors why, but for some reason I expected a few more considering they have been living amongst each other for so long. The government works hard but they can only do so much to erase the stereotypes and can't erase the fact that Chinese do build vast fortunes in these countries. They also create jobs. It makes me sad to see anyone (coming to or coming from) Indonesia and Malaysia destroying the rainforest and planting palm oil plantations...taking land from native people and animals and destroying biodiversity. Its exploitation of the land rather than helping the locals and I think that may be why some people feel this way today rather than it being an old stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 04:45 AM

154 posts, read 245,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
dont forget every single filipino has spanish ancestry even if they look full malay or east asian LOL
The vast majority of Filipinos would test zero percent Caucasian in a ancestral DNA test. Last time I checked ancestry from the country of Spain is counted as Caucasian ancestry in a DNA test.

Even African Americans have more Caucasian admixture than Filipinos.

Only around 3 percent of the entire Filipino population of have any Caucasian admixture (Spain). 97 percent of Filipinos are pure Asian.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
^ You're saying we're pure Asians, but on the other post you said we're not part of the Asian race???

Old 05-16-2013, 05:25 AM

154 posts, read 245,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ You're saying we're pure Asians, but on the other post you said we're not part of the Asian race???
Most of you people do not belong to the Yellow Oriental race, but you are still technically Asian the same way Indonesians are still technically Asian, even though they share a border with Papua New Guinea.

There are two types of Asians, the Yellow skin Orientals and the Brown skin Asians. The Brown skin Asian countries are hot and humid all year long. While the Yellow skin Oriental countries actually have 4 seasons. That is why it is not uncommon to see snow in Northern China, Korea, and Japan.

I wonder if Northeast Asians on average would not be so light skin if they did not have 4 seasons.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyothi108 View Post
Race relations can be tense in ASEAN. They live together harmoniously (usually not killing each other) but separately. Living in Singapore coming from California there are hardly any mixed marriages here versus the US. I'm sure there are lots of factors why, but for some reason I expected a few more considering they have been living amongst each other for so long. The government works hard but they can only do so much to erase the stereotypes and can't erase the fact that Chinese do build vast fortunes in these countries. They also create jobs. It makes me sad to see anyone (coming to or coming from) Indonesia and Malaysia destroying the rainforest and planting palm oil plantations...taking land from native people and animals and destroying biodiversity. Its exploitation of the land rather than helping the locals and I think that may be why some people feel this way today rather than it being an old stereotype.
It's mainly cultural differences. It's most commonly Indians and Chinese 'Chindians', as Malays do not as a rule intermarry with non-Muslims.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM

12 posts, read 25,806 times
I know Cambodians or "Khmer" people strongly influenced the Laos, Thai and Southern Vietnamese. Muay Thai was copied from the Cambodians Pradal serey. Thai and Laos food are influenced by Khmer food.Many people think its the other way around. The khmer empire was one of the most powerful and largest empires in Asia. Pretty much all of South East Asia was part of the empire. Thai or Tai people attacked the empire from the west killing the Khmers or assimilating them. On the east side the Vietnamese were doing the same both the Tai and Vietnamese come from what is now present China. The Laos and Thai are both ethnically Tai.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 PM

72 posts, read 156,242 times
Indonesia has bad relations with Malaysia and East Timor. But with other Southeast Asian countries it's OK.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,813 times
Why do malays hate javanese ( a tribe in indonesia ) ????

and why chinese come to our land and got indonesian nationality ???

Old 06-22-2014, 11:48 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
How about your generation? Do you guys still hold on to those views?
In some Chinese online forums, northern Chinese call southern Chinese "Malay", and southern Chinese call northern Chinese "Tungus". Both with negative connotations.
However, there is not real hatred toward southeastern Asians. They may not like Indonesians for events in the past.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:08 PM

177 posts, read 269,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 北洋舰队 View Post
As a mainland chinese who grow up in Beijing, southeast asians are viewed as inferior creature; my grandfather who was a PLA general referred them as " little dark monkey"
Wtf. As a Korean who grew up in Seoul I can tell you that we think Chinese are dirty, lawless cheaters. We call Chinese "Jjankye" and "mainland" in Korean is synonym for poor quality and cheap labor. And we are not the only ones who feel this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia