Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:47 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyothi108 View Post
Race relations can be tense in ASEAN. They live together harmoniously (usually not killing each other) but separately. Living in Singapore coming from California there are hardly any mixed marriages here versus the US. I'm sure there are lots of factors why, but for some reason I expected a few more considering they have been living amongst each other for so long. The government works hard but they can only do so much to erase the stereotypes and can't erase the fact that Chinese do build vast fortunes in these countries. They also create jobs. It makes me sad to see anyone (coming to or coming from) Indonesia and Malaysia destroying the rainforest and planting palm oil plantations...taking land from native people and animals and destroying biodiversity. Its exploitation of the land rather than helping the locals and I think that may be why some people feel this way today rather than it being an old stereotype.
Still, California is a lot more like Singapore than it is Brazil.

Plus a lot of the Chinese-Malay mixes aren't as visibly obvious, even though they intermarry less these days. I know quite a few myself, including my cousin. You might not be able to pick 'Chindians' either, thinking they're Nepalese or Burmese or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 08:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Wtf. As a Korean who grew up in Seoul I can tell you that we think Chinese are dirty, lawless cheaters. We call Chinese "Jjankye" and "mainland" in Korean is synonym for poor quality and cheap labor. And we are not the only ones who feel this way.
Neighbors always have this, no surprise.
Koreans are called "bangzi" in China, literally "stick".
The negative stereotypes include being superficial, bragging, and fake.
However educated people don't use these words, especially because there are ethnic Koreans in China too.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:51 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
^Only that outside of Asia,Chinese are still considered dirty,lawless,and loud by many.The difference is that those dirty,lawless,and loud Chinese aren't cheap labour,but nouveau riche.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:53 AM

177 posts, read 269,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Neighbors always have this, no surprise.
Koreans are called "bangzi" in China, literally "stick".
The negative stereotypes include being superficial, bragging, and fake.
However educated people don't use these words, especially because there are ethnic Koreans in China too.
Lol. And here comes the defensive Chinese. I should be more worried about your mainland Beijing friend making racist statements at SE Asians while the rest of the world doesn't have a high opinion of the Chinese either.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^Only that outside of Asia,Chinese are still considered dirty,lawless,and loud by many.The difference is that those dirty,lawless,and loud Chinese aren't cheap labour,but nouveau riche.
Trust me, I am currently living in NYC, and the nouveau riche Chinese arent very well-respected either. They are so loud and ill-mannered and throw money wherever they can.
They get only treated nicely at Louis-Vuitton shops where they buy up complete shelves without really looking.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Trust me, I am currently living in NYC, and the nouveau riche Chinese arent very well-respected either. They are so loud and ill-mannered and throw money wherever they can.
They get only treated nicely at Louis-Vuitton shops where they buy up complete shelves without really looking.
Yeah that's what I meant.Of course not every Chinese is like that,but Chinese people might want to give it a thought about why the visa requirement of their own country is so strict,compare to the Koreans,Japanese,Taiwanese,HKers whom they "look down upon".

Old 06-23-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's what I meant.Of course not every Chinese is like that,but Chinese people might want to give it a thought about why the visa requirement of their own country is so strict,compare to the Koreans,Japanese,Taiwanese,HKers whom they "look down upon".
Agreed. I have a girlfriend from Beijing who went to Harvard MBA and has her own startup. Absolute pure class. But so many I meet are loud and inconsiderate too.
I was just very annoyed that somebody would call and entire group of people "little brown monkeys"?? Seriously, wtf.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I have a girlfriend from Beijing who went to Harvard MBA and has her own startup. Absolute pure class. But so many I meet are loud and inconsiderate too.
I was just very annoyed that somebody would call and entire group of people "brown monkeys"?? Seriously, wtf.
He mentioned that his grandfather was a general of PLA,so I guess he's about as nationalist and arrogant as a Chinese could get.He probably has some false fantasy about how China could take down Japan in the battlefield on a cake walk from his grandpapa.Lol.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:39 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Visa requirements have nothing to do with them acting boorish, it's to do with the diplomatic agreement China has with many countries.

I've met plenty of cool Chinese people personally, but yes, as a group they can give off a bad impression.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Visa requirements have nothing to do with them acting boorish, it's to do with the diplomatic agreement China has with many countries.

I've met plenty of cool Chinese people personally, but yes, as a group they can give off a bad impression.
The citizens' behaviors abroad could make differences.People-to-people diplomacy is quite important tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia