U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Reputation: 796

Advertisements

Yes there are beautiful beaches in other places in Asia as well but I think in every place, it still varies. Palawan and Boracay both look like Paradise beaches but some people say the water in Boracay is much clearer than Palawan and of course Boracay has night life while Palawan is more like a family place because of it's sirenity.
Boracay is also a place for non swimmers like me because it is known for it's shallow waters. You can go so far in Boracay and the water will still be on your waist. I don't know if it is the same in other countries.

I agree with Smtchll, one of the main attractions of the Philippines is the Filipino people themselves...most foreigners who come to the Philippines always have great admiration for the Filipino people because of their amiable and warm personalities which make them stand out compare to all other Asians.

May I also add that, most people just do not realise that Philippines is more unique in Asia... almost everything in Asia is the same. It's either Buddhism or Hinduism... So what makes us different ? It is our religion ( and it's not just because we are Catholic but we are no. 3 Catholic country in the world, we take it passionately that some people really crucify themselves every Semana Santa ). Yes you can also see it in Mexico but in Asia, it is only in the Philippines.

Culture --- as we are unique, we have cultural traditions ( Fiestas all through out the year every where in the Philippines, cultural festivities etc. that are not found in any other Asian country.

Food --- again, as we are different, our foods are not that similar to other Asian foods or our food is not spicy as most of Asian foods.

So I think, instead of comparing the Philippines to all the Asian countries and thinking that it doesn't have things and foods similar to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam or China, think of it as a country very different from those countries and unique in Asia.

 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes there are beautiful beaches in other places in Asia as well but I think in every place, it still varies. Palawan and Boracay both look like Paradise beaches but some people say the water in Boracay is much clearer than Palawan and of course Boracay has night life while Palawan is more like a family place because of it's sirenity.
Boracay is also a place for non swimmers like me because it is known for it's shallow waters. You can go so far in Boracay and the water will still be on your waist. I don't know if it is the same in other countries.

I agree with Smtchll, one of the main attractions of the Philippines is the Filipino people themselves...most foreigners who come to the Philippines always have great admiration for the Filipino people because of their amiable and warm personalities which make them stand out compare to all other Asians.

May I also add that, most people just do not realise that Philippines is more unique in Asia... almost everything in Asia is the same. It's either Buddhism or Hinduism... So what makes us different ? It is our religion ( and it's not just because we are Catholic but we are no. 3 Catholic country in the world, we take it passionately that some people really crucify themselves every Semana Santa ). Yes you can also see it in Mexico but in Asia, it is only in the Philippines.

Culture --- as we are unique, we have cultural traditions ( Fiestas all through out the year every where in the Philippines, cultural festivities etc. that are not found in any other Asian country.

Food --- again, as we are different, our foods are not that similar to other Asian foods.

So I think, instead of comparing the Philippines to all the Asian countries and thinking that it doesn't have things and foods similar to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam or China, think of it as a country very different from those countries and unique in Asia.
If you come to Australia you should go to the Whitsunday Islands in Australia. Whitehaven beach is really beautiful, and there are shallow lagoons, totally still like a lake, where you can wade out for ages.


Whitehaven Beach - Whitsunday Islands - Australia - YouTube

I think each Asian country has it's own unique things...like for instance Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism have very different architecture, statues, some beliefs.etc. Plus the language, food, architecture, cities, people vary a lot.

Yes i hear Filipinos are friendly...would you say though a lot want to rip you off like Vietnam, China, Thailand?
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Yes the Catholicism in an Asian country is interesting. You can see a bit of it in Vietnam, some towns actually seem dominated by Catholics, as well as Sri Lanka, Kerala, Goa, and South Korea. East Timor would be interesting too, similar to the Phils in some ways.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,145,776 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes there are beautiful beaches in other places in Asia as well but I think in every place, it still varies. Palawan and Boracay both look like Paradise beaches but some people say the water in Boracay is much clearer than Palawan and of course Boracay has night life while Palawan is more like a family place because of it's sirenity.
Boracay is also a place for non swimmers like me because it is known for it's shallow waters. You can go so far in Boracay and the water will still be on your waist. I don't know if it is the same in other countries.

I agree with Smtchll, one of the main attractions of the Philippines is the Filipino people themselves...most foreigners who come to the Philippines always have great admiration for the Filipino people because of their amiable and warm personalities which make them stand out compare to all other Asians.

May I also add that, most people just do not realise that Philippines is more unique in Asia... almost everything in Asia is the same. It's either Buddhism or Hinduism... So what makes us different ? It is our religion ( and it's not just because we are Catholic but we are no. 3 Catholic country in the world, we take it passionately that some people really crucify themselves every Semana Santa ). Yes you can also see it in Mexico but in Asia, it is only in the Philippines.

Culture --- as we are unique, we have cultural traditions ( Fiestas all through out the year every where in the Philippines, cultural festivities etc. that are not found in any other Asian country.

Food --- again, as we are different, our foods are not that similar to other Asian foods or our food is not spicy as most of Asian foods.

So I think, instead of comparing the Philippines to all the Asian countries and thinking that it doesn't have things and foods similar to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam or China, think of it as a country very different from those countries and unique in Asia.
Indonesian food actually are different too, only Sumatra have similarities with Malaysia but the rest of the country are different from one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes the Catholicism in an Asian country is interesting. You can see a bit of it in Vietnam, some towns actually seem dominated by Catholics, as well as Sri Lanka, Kerala, Goa, and South Korea. East Timor would be interesting too, similar to the Phils in some ways.
Indonesia also have Christians villages in Java or Bali or other islands with actual ethnic whom denomination are not Christian majority, not a big surpirse to me if others has it. The one in Bali is quiet famous Blimbingsari and Palasari, one is for Protestant and the other is for Catholic. Churches in Indonesia sometimes faces localization and looked rather unique:


Blimbingsari, Bali, Indonesia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-05-2014 at 09:54 PM..
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes the Catholicism in an Asian country is interesting. You can see a bit of it in Vietnam, some towns actually seem dominated by Catholics, as well as Sri Lanka, Kerala, Goa, and South Korea. East Timor would be interesting too, similar to the Phils in some ways.
Yes East Timor is Catholic however, I don't think they have things that we have or do in the Philippines every Semana Santa because Portugal doesn't have either.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes East Timor is Catholic however, I don't think they have things that we have or do in the Philippines every Semana Santa because Portugal doesn't have either.
Yes, but it's so unknown really...Australia helped them gain independence from Indonesia in the late 90s.

Catholicism also has a presence in Singapore and Malaysia, with some fine Catholic cathedrals.

I wonder if you'd find more similarity with Sabah and Sarawak than West Malaysia. It's actually majority Christian (most of the natives area), although I think more Protestant than Catholic.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Indonesian food actually are different too, only Sumatra have similarities with Malaysia but the rest of the country are different from one another.



Indonesia also have Christians villages in Java or Bali or other islands with actual ethnic whom denomination are not Christian majority, not a big surpirse to me if others has it. The one in Bali is quiet famous Blimbingsari and Palasari, one is for Protestant and the other is for Catholic. Churches in Indonesia sometimes faces localization and looked rather unique:


Blimbingsari, Bali, Indonesia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
It's not strange at all since Catholics are every where in the world even in Palestine but what is strange is a predominantly catholic country in Asia that has religious practises not practised everywhere but just in that country alone and in Latin America.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
a very well-made vacation video from some Vietnamese who visited the Philippines. They had a good itinerary. They visited Manila, where they did the malls, restaurants and the historic areas, and then they went to Boracay. I would have added Northern Luzon too.


Manila & Boracay 2013 - YouTube

I think other Asians will find the Philippines more interesting than Westerners would because it's something different. I read on another forum that Koreans and Japanese like visiting the Philippines because it's like a trip to Latin America, but much closer to home
 
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, but it's so unknown really...Australia helped them gain independence from Indonesia in the late 90s.

Catholicism also has a presence in Singapore and Malaysia, with some fine Catholic cathedrals.

I wonder if you'd find more similarity with Sabah and Sarawak than West Malaysia. It's actually majority Christian (most of the natives area), although I think more Protestant than Catholic.
Actually, I was watching a documentary show about East Timor before and I saw some Filipino missionaries there. They like it there so much because people are quite similar to Filipino people. I also had a Timorese friend in Portugal who is a " Nun " and she is very much integrated to the Filipino community.
 
Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,145,776 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Actually, I was watching a documentary show about East Timor before and I saw some Filipino missionaries there. They like it there so much because people are quite similar to Filipino people. I also had a Timorese friend in Portugal who is a " Nun " and she is very much integrated to the Filipino community.
East Timorese are actually the same with the western counterpart, but its more of a Protestant in the west while the East are Catholic. They are actually pacific islanders/Melanesian rather than Austronesians or mix of both, and lots of them are Portuguesse by descent. Lots of people in the area surrounding the islands there have Portuguesse blood.

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-05-2014 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top