Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,204,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyoutl View Post
Those people that do not hire foreign domestic helpers resent them, the bosses of the helpers are more tolerant. These foreigners in Singapore are on a work visa only, they should learn that they are not the citizens of the country and they are not in the process to become citizens. Citizens should always have priority in their own country.
Because foreigners also have rights, be they tourists, temporary workers or resident foreigners. They are not slaves, and they have every right to go wherever and do whatever during their time off within the rules and laws of where they are. Just because you are a citizen of your country does not mean foreigners should give up their bus seats for you like what was expected of Rosa Parks. It's now the 21st century, and if Singapore wants to be a modern and advanced city/country, then Singaporeans should not act like they are still in the 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Because foreigners also have rights, be they tourists, temporary workers or resident foreigners. They are not slaves, and they have every right to go wherever and do whatever during their time off within the rules and laws of where they are. Just because you are a citizen of your country does not mean foreigners should give up their bus seats for you like what was expected of Rosa Parks. It's now the 21st century, and if Singapore wants to be a modern and advanced city/country, then Singaporeans should not act like they are still in the 1960s.
Then does it mean that you have the right to celebrate in the territory of other people's homes ?

The thing is, whatever it is , some Singaporeans are not happy with it, being a guest, isn't it a given to respect the comfort of the owner too ?

Others countries may be fine with it, that is their own problem.. Why must Singapore follow other countries ? If you are fine it it ok, but if you are not should i insist on it despite you are not comfortable with it ?

Why not you give me your address and i plan to celebrate my birthday at your place ?
Some people may be fine with it , then that's not an issue, but if the other party is not comfortable with it. it should be stopped.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Then does it mean that you have the right to celebrate in the territory of other people's homes ?

The thing is, whatever it is , some Singaporeans are not happy with it, being a guest, isn't it a given to respect the comfort of the owner too ?

Why not you give me your address and i plan to celebrate my birthday at your place ?
Because that's trespassing and that is against the laws in most countries... That's your house, no one has the right to go there without your permission. However, if you see a group of people you do not like on Orchard Road, does not mean you can ask them to leave, just because you are a citizen and they are not. If they are not doing anything wrong there and if they have a permit, then like it or not, they are there. As a citizen, then do what you can do and vote for the party that will make that illegal.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 AM

SPF: no permit has been sought for the Philippines Independence Day Celebrations | The Real Singapore

no permit have been sought at yet. That is a reason why i say the Pinoys are acting as if they own our land..

You dont see the PRCs, Indians Americans and Brits being so .. assuming in other people's territories..

Last edited by singaporelady; 04-22-2014 at 01:01 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 AM

https://www.facebook.com/martynsee/p...01756056518902

and a Singaporean have already applied for a permit to hold something that day

Click image for larger version

Name:	10153822_10201756021598029_2265496196991706146_n.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	128738

Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/martynsee/p...01756056518902

and a Singaporean have already applied for a permit to hold something that day

Attachment 128738
Quote:
Because that's trespassing and that is against the laws in most countries... That's your house, no one has the right to go there without your permission. However, if you see a group of people you do not like on Orchard Road, does not mean you can ask them to leave, just because you are a citizen and they are not. If they are not doing anything wrong there and if they have a permit, then like it or not, they are there. As a citizen, then do what you can do and vote for the party that will make that illegal.
Yes, i have my vote and i know what to do with my vote in 2015/2016. I dont need you to teach me that

Old 04-22-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
If that is what Singapore law requires, then the Singapore police/government has the authority to stop it. Or they can apply for a permit and if granted, then they'll be there. It's still more than a month away. I don't get how that is a big deal one way or the other.

If you feel so strongly about this along with other Singaporeans, then go ahead. But the eventual decision on how this works out will have an impact on how Singapore is seen from outside. If the permit stipulates that they should limit the number of people, make sure traffic is not affected, not to be too loud, blah blah blah, it can be talked about. How the people opposing this is handling it so badly... it's only about as citizens of Singapore. People forget that these people are working for Singaporeans, the visas are issued by the Singaporean government and that they are working for the benefit of the Singaporean economy. And this is like a once in a year event.

Actually, there aren't any large celebrations in the Philippines for Independence Day. It's far from being the Fourth of July in the US or October 1 in China or even October 10 in Taiwan. And the fact that it's been moved to a Sunday as a more convenient way to celebrate there in Singapore just means they just want some kind of celebration and get together. I think Singaporeans are taking this matter more seriously than any Filipino.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
If that is what Singapore law requires, then the Singapore police/government has the authority to stop it. Or they can apply for a permit and if granted, then they'll be there. It's still more than a month away. I don't get how that is a big deal one way or the other.

If you feel so strongly about this along with other Singaporeans, then go ahead. But the eventual decision on how this works out will have an impact on how Singapore is seen from outside. If the permit stipulates that they should limit the number of people, make sure traffic is not affected, not to be too loud, blah blah blah, it can be talked about. How the people opposing this is handling it so badly... it's about only us, as citizens of Singapore. People forget that these people are working for Singaporeans, the visas are issued by the Singaporean government and that they are working for the benefit of the Singaporean economy. And this is like a once in a year event.

Actually, there aren't any large celebrations in the Philippines for Independence Day. It's far from being the Fourth of July in the US or October 1 in China or even October 10 in Taiwan. And the fact that it's been moved to a Sunday as a more convenient way to celebrate there in Singapore just means they just want some kind of celebration and get together. I think Singaporeans are taking this matter more seriously than any Filipino.
You aren't Singaporean by anyway I suppose ??

Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
SPF: no permit has been sought for the Philippines Independence Day Celebrations | The Real Singapore

no permit have been sought at yet. That is a reason why i say the Pinoys are acting as if they own our land..

You dont see the PRCs, Indians Americans and Brits being so .. assuming in other people's territories..
So it might not happen after all?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:

If you feel so strongly about this along with other Singaporeans, then go ahead. But the eventual decision on how this works out will have an impact on how Singapore is seen from outside. If the permit stipulates that they should limit the number of people, make sure traffic is not affected, not to be too loud, blah blah blah, it can be talked about. How the people opposing this is handling it so badly... it's only about as citizens of Singapore. People forget that these people are working for Singaporeans, the visas are issued by the Singaporean government and that they are working for the benefit of the Singaporean economy. And this is like a once in a year event.

Definitely. I don't even see how it affects them anyway. It's just plain intolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia