Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Why do Filipinos want to go to Singapore.
Singapore is too rigid and has a very undynamic economy with slow growth potential.

The Philippines is a booming economy, Manila is an ocean of skyscrapers. There are literally hundreds of office skyscrapers going up all over the Philippines.

The Philippines is growing much faster than Singapore.

The Philippines is a much bigger, more powerfull and important country than Singapore.

The Philippines has a great future as a major Asian power, Singapore does not.

The Philippines is a free country, Singapore is a police state.

If I was a Filipino I would stay in the Philippines, it has a greater future and potential than singapore
I would say the media of philippines is a bit of an ass.

Last edited by Goshio22; 04-22-2014 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I don't know who this guy is, but in case you want to know, Filipinos and other people in the world are supporting the Singapore PM. Even here in C-D, you know what the sentiments of people are. They are not laughing about this matter, but are disgusted. It is pretty low profile elsewhere and it is the first and only time I have heard of this here at C-D. I follow Philippine news online to a certain extent and also have a couple of Filipino facebook friends working in Singapore. Nothing regarding this event from those sources.
Sorry the place C-D stands for ??

It is useless if the outside world supports LHL but Singaporeans dont cos ultimately we are the ones who decide whether he remains in power or not.. We hold the key whether he remains as PM. And he doesn't seem to remember that..

Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 AM

10 posts, read 13,309 times
Most people familiar with SEA region are not agreeing with this.

Singapore's economy is very free and open, it ranks high in economic freedom and ease of doing business rankings. Singapore has a stable good economy with both latest GDP per capita and growth rate higher than that of Japan's.

Singapore is a fully developed country, with high overall level of wealth and income, high level of education of its citizens and high standard of medical care. Singapore belongs to the very high category in HDI.

Singapore is widely regarded as an important global city, the hub of almost everything in the SEA region. Manila is generally not regarded as an important city in the region. Philippines is widely not regarded as a powerful country in the region, it is not a regional power and not a world power.

The only country that may have a future as a major SEA power is Indonesia, not Philippines. Frankly speaking, no SEA country will have great future as a major Asian power. The major Asian powers will likely still be China, India, Japan and Republic of Korea.

The Philippines is full of crimes. Singapore is a more stable country.

And there has always been many many people leaving the Philippines, earn their income in another country because the income overseas are often much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Why do Filipinos want to go to Singapore.
Singapore is too rigid and has a very undynamic economy with slow growth potential.

The Philippines is a booming economy, Manila is an ocean of skyscrapers. There are literally hundreds of office skyscrapers going up all over the Philippines.

The Philippines is growing much faster than Singapore.

The Philippines is a much bigger, more powerfull and important country than Singapore.

The Philippines has a great future as a major Asian power, Singapore does not.

The Philippines is a free country, Singapore is a police state.

If I was a Filipino I would stay in the Philippines, it has a greater future and potential than singapore

Old 04-23-2014, 04:34 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockapplan View Post
Most people familiar with SEA region are not agreeing with this.

Singapore's economy is very free and open, it ranks high in economic freedom and ease of doing business rankings. Singapore has a stable good economy with both latest GDP per capita and growth rate higher than that of Japan's.

Singapore is a fully developed country, with high overall level of wealth and income, high level of education of its citizens and high standard of medical care. Singapore belongs to the very high category in HDI.

Singapore is widely regarded as an important global city, the hub of almost everything in the SEA region. Manila is generally not regarded as an important city in the region. Philippines is widely not regarded as a powerful country in the region, it is not a regional power and not a world power.

The only country that may have a future as a major SEA power is Indonesia, not Philippines. Frankly speaking, no SEA country will have great future as a major Asian power. The major Asian powers will likely still be China, India, Japan and Republic of Korea.

The Philippines is full of crimes. Singapore is a more stable country.

And there has always been many many people leaving the Philippines, earn their income in another country because the income overseas are often much higher.
Sadly the Philippines looks like it's getting left behind. Of course, Indonesia is still no 1 in the region, but Singapore definitely punches way above it's weight. I don't really include it in comparisons because it's more a city-state. After Indonesia Thailand is no 2, then Malaysia, then Philippines and Vietnam, although I suspect Vietnam's China-style boom might see it overtake both the Philippines and Malaysia in overall GDP.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:38 AM

Those that can get a migrant PR visa of Singapore or Australia usually have good education, skills or are rich. They are different from those without good education and poorer type migrants which are usually resented in developed countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Wow, 1 million? 1/5 of the population? No wonder sometimes everyone seems to be speaking Mandarin, even if among Singaporeans English is increasing...

I see Chinese flooding Melbourne too. The city is dominated by them. There must be at least two dozen Sichuan restaurants in the CBD alone (not that i'm complaining about that since I love Sichuan/Szechuan cuisine).

I'm not against Chinese immigration per se, and a lot of these are actually students, but yeah you don't want to be totally flooded by any one group...

Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 AM

In the opinion of developed countries' citizens, all the countries in SEA are quite developing, with the exception of Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia. All the other countries still have a long way to be regarded as developed.

Also in Singapore, there are many people from other SEA countries doing illegal work, notably prostitution, by abusing the visa-free visiting policies of ASEAN countries. Such people can just goto JB after a month and and return immediately. They can stay in Singapore like forever by this method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Sadly the Philippines looks like it's getting left behind. Of course, Indonesia is still no 1 in the region, but Singapore definitely punches way above it's weight. I don't really include it in comparisons because it's more a city-state. After Indonesia Thailand is no 2, then Malaysia, then Philippines and Vietnam, although I suspect Vietnam's China-style boom might see it overtake both the Philippines and Malaysia in overall GDP.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
In the opinion of developed countries' citizens, all the countries in SEA are quite developing, with the exception of Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia. All the other countries still have a long way to be regarded as developed.

Also in Singapore, there are many people from other SEA countries doing illegal work, notably prostitution, by abusing the visa-free visiting policies of ASEAN countries. Such people can just goto JB after a month and and return immediately. They can stay in Singapore like forever by this method.
Interesting. You been down Joo Chiat road lately? The place is full of Vietnamese girls...

Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 AM

Beside ladies, every night, there are many transexuals from other SEA countries talking randomly to western men for the same purpose in some parts of SG.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Beside ladies, every night, there are many transexuals from other SEA countries talking randomly to western men for the same purpose in some parts of SG.
Yeah Geylang, Katong, Orchard towers, SG still has those pockets, just not so concentrated as in Thailand or the Philippines.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.PNG
Views:	110
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	128790

Name:	IMG_0106.PNG
Views:	149
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	128791

Name:	IMG_0107.PNG
Views:	121
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	128792

Name:	IMG_0108.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	128793

Name:	IMG_0109.PNG
Views:	104
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	128794

Name:	IMG_0110.PNG
Views:	134
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	128795

Sharing Facebook comments on the issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia