Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 AM

177 posts, read 269,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
You are so much brighter than your American peers, yet, you didn't stay in Korea for grad school
but went where those inferior thickoes went to grad school.

Many times I would ask my Korean classes to name a country in Africa (except for Ghana of course) with a 10000 won prize and no-one got the prize. Their knowledge of the world outside of planet Korea was
shocking as I would often hear how 'dirty' and 'poor' Africa was despite not being able to name a country there, and all this coming from 18-21 year
olds.

Fixed.
Ouch. Dude I have nothing against America. But if you go that route, my roommate at Columbia could not point out Wisconsin on the map, and neither did fer friends.
But then, I have met so many more who are incredibly smart and witty.
I did not say anything about inferiority -- I was simply reacting to the OP.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:42 AM

255 posts, read 565,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Ouch. Dude I have nothing against America. But if you go that route, my roommate at Columbia could not point out Wisconsin on the map, and neither did fer friends.
But then, I have met so many more who are incredibly smart and witty.
I did not say anything about inferiority -- I was simply reacting to the OP.
I am not American though it was telling how obsessed Koreans are with Americana, especially
the education system and despite the nationalism and ethno-chauvinism, many Koreans wanted to study in Ivy League schools or Berkeley/NYU or emigrate to the States.

I think 2.5 million Koreans have emigrated to the United States since 1975. An amazing pattern
of emigration out of South Korea.

What you have pointed out in regards your room mate, Koreans could be accused of the
same regarding the outside world.

One of the great things about Koreans is their generosity, their willingness to give was a direct
contrast to the behaviour of many a stingy, tight arsed English teacher.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:50 AM

675 posts, read 544,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Also it seems like a recent trend for someone to go live in a foreign country and expect to make a ton of friends, and be living it up as if they were on so TV series.

Honestly, what do people expect when they go work in a foreign land? Do you really expect all the people to just open their arms and hug you?
Lol. Where do you get that notion?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
So basically you're getting shot down, and yet that is somehow the Korean women's problem?
On the contrary. I don't pursue Korean women. While certainly not everyone and you can find pleasant Korean women, they on a whole disgust me.

- Vain
- Materialist
- Shallow
- Superficial
- Immature
- Whinny
- Wear too much makeup
- Skinny

etc. etc.

Korean women are the Korean man's problem not mine haha

The good thing about Korea is the amount of Foreign women available (English teachers, European Exchange Students, South East Asian Factory Workers, etc)

Last edited by medellinheel; 05-05-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
I am not American though it was telling how obsessed Koreans are with Americana, especially
the education system and despite the nationalism and ethno-chauvinism, many Koreans wanted to study in Ivy League schools or Berkeley/NYU or emigrate to the States.

I think 2.5 million Koreans have emigrated to the United States since 1975. An amazing pattern
of emigration out of South Korea.

What you have pointed out in regards your room mate, Koreans could be accused of the
same regarding the outside world.

One of the great things about Koreans is their generosity, their willingness to give was a direct
contrast to the behaviour of many a stingy, tight arsed English teacher.

I am pretty sure a Seoul National University student can point out a province of Korea on a map.
Education provides easy access to a foreign country, and for me the best jobs in my field are in New York so it worked out.
I must tell you that most of my Korean friends who came to study in the US returned to Korea eventually though.
Maybe 20 years ago Koreans wanted to emigrate to the US, but now for most of us the living standards are better in Korea and rarely people stay.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 PM

255 posts, read 565,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
I am pretty sure a Seoul National University student can point out a province of Korea on a map.
You have to admit though that is a low set bar! Hahaha. What was your major and why do you think
your classmates couldn't find a state in their own country on the map?

Quote:
Maybe 20 years ago Koreans wanted to emigrate to the US, but now for most of us the living standards are better in Korea and rarely people stay.
Agreed, what Harold McMillan told the British people back in the 1960's could be said for the Koreans
today 'You have never had it so good' now will be seen as the golden era for Koreans like the 1950's
were for Americans and the 1960's were for the British.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:41 PM

This particular girl and her friends were studying to be nutritionists and dieticians.
They were absolute sweethearts, they were just not very good with maps.
In their defense, they could draw up molecular structures of different type of fat cells, so to each their priorities.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
Lol. Where do you get that notion?
I have read many a thread where people complain about the friendliness of people in foreign countries, and I guess the lack of what they consider to be an awesome adventure that they hoped to experience when they sign on to live in a foreign country. If you go anywhere outside America, Canada, or some liberal western world, what do these people expect to find. Of course they are probably not going to like living there.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:29 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
I think South Korea is fantastic. I'm even considering retiring there. One of the things to remember about South Korea is that, while the culture is ancient, democracy is only very recent.

In just The Twentieth Century alone, Korea went from a brutal Japanese occupation--to World War II--to a political division that was the result of two imperialistic superpowers--to a series of right-wing military dictatorships which functioned as puppet-states of The US. Seoul, which is one of the largest cities in the world, is populated by people who live with the constant reminder that there is a completely unpredictable nutf**k a hundred miles away, who has nuclear missiles trained on them.

I don't disagree with your observations concerning the rigors of the educational system--and with the working life beyond that. I've certainly noticed it myself. However, South Korea has had less than a quarter of a century functioning as a developed democracy, and in that context, it is still in its infancy. Nations, like people, need time to grow into mature entities.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have read many a thread where people complain about the friendliness of people in foreign countries, and I guess the lack of what they consider to be an awesome adventure that they hoped to experience when they sign on to live in a foreign country. If you go anywhere outside America, Canada, or some liberal western world, what do these people expect to find. Of course they are probably not going to like living there.
Complaining about the lack of friendliness doesn't necessarily equate to them expecting people to be friendly.

I can't speak for other people, but for me, I travel simply to see and experience new things. Whether those things are pleasant or not is beside the point.

Korea is a little different as I am not really traveling there in the usual context of things. I am merely in Korea to work and use it as a springboard to travel to other Asian countries.

Will be able to cross Asia off my "to do" list this time next summer. Then most likely get a job in Qatar or Kuwait. That will be fun lol (not srs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia