Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 03:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

There's never anyone at the door I'm going to want to talk to, so I never answer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 04:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post

Pointing to the title of this thread, it seems the delusional types are so sure that their point of view is the only one to hold they don't want to hear any other point of view. They often get on the defensive and take it so personal that they will lash out with outlandish and even downright silly comments and responses. That certainly will not gain anyone's respect. And they certainly do not get mine.
You mean they act just like you do? Wow!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, that's not what I mean. Have you ever heard, or have been a party to any of my conversations? If not what are you basing your statement on. You obviously didn't read all of my posts.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:11 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Unfortuantely, many of the so called "christian" types do not share your sense of respect and do not follow your practices. Again, I wish I had a nickel for every time some bible thumper told me I was so goin to hell after a short discussion about god or religion, even though I attempted to have a meaningful, intelligent and congenial discussion on the topic.

Pointing to the title of this thread, it seems the delusional types are so sure that their point of view is the only one to hold they don't want to hear any other point of view. They often get on the defensive and take it so personal that they will lash out with outlandish and even downright silly comments and responses. That certainly will not gain anyone's respect. And they certainly do not get mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The truth is, stillkit . . . most people are oblivious to their own behaviors and posting . For example . . . axe doesn't see the absurdity of disrespecting someone as delusional and expecting not to get disrespect in return. How dare they often get on the defensive and take it so personal? How could anyone possibly have expected to "to have a meaningful, intelligent and congenial discussion on the topic." Why wouldn't they "lash out with outlandish and even downright silly comments and responses" . . . what is the word delusional considered? Why would they expect any respect?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The truth is, stillkit . . . most people are oblivious to their own behaviors and posting .
For example... doesn't see the absurdity of disrespecting someone as delusional and expecting not to get disrespect in return.
The disrespect, to use your term, is not or should not be directed at the person. That would just be rude.

The disrespect is or should be limited to the ideas that the person is advocating:
ideas that aren't based in the known or the provable but rather ideas or whole set of often circuitous ideas
which their advocates still want to be respected for as if they were objectively known and proven.

That schism is the problem.

Quote:
Why wouldn't they "lash out with outlandish and even downright silly comments and responses"
. . . what is the word delusional considered? Why would they expect any respect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriams
delusion: A false belief or opinion
belief: a tenet or body of tenets held by a group
fact: something that actually exists; reality; truth something known to exist or to have happened
There IS a difference.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The disrespect, to use your term, is not or should not be directed at the person. That would just be rude.
I think the point is that even when one IS attacking the idea and not the person, so many Christians see it as an attack on them and are only to quick to flash the 'poor persecuted me' card.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I think the point is that even when one IS attacking the idea and not the person, so many Christians see it as an attack on them and are only to quick to flash the 'poor persecuted me' card.

So do Republican's and Democrats, lefties and righties, atheist's and agnostics, Catholic's and Protestant's.

It's just human nature to take offense when those things we hold dear are attacked.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't understand why people (religious and not so religious folks) insist on respecting the point of views of others.....regardless of how rediculous and stupid their claims are!

Does anyone else get frustrated by this fact?

If you don't want your ideas to be questioned and rediculed (in the case of religion and a god), then either 'smart up' and don't come up with fairytales as your truths and your reality, or keep it to yourself, and don't go around saying "the good lord this....and the good lord that..."

Ticks me off i tell ya!
I am sure you are not a human being different than the rest of us. I am sure there are times that you have felt offended by someone that did not show tact or respect for something you have said or believe.

The point here is not so much to speak your mind. I have dealt with so many people that very proudly say all the time they speak their minds and are very blunt, abrasive, and offensive when they do so.

My personal observation that those types of people are the least open minded to others when others want to have a discussion with them. They seem to take offense to what others say and also do not allow others to say much of what they have to say. I started to make notes on those types of people and that has been my observation with relatives, at work, with friends, etc. They all claim to be very open minded and to listen but tend to be the least of what they claim, granted there are exceptions.

Also, it is not the idea of speaking up. People do react better to what others have to say when respect is shown to what others believe and say. It is simple human nature. The problem is at times some people do not know how to express their feelings and instead of addressing an offense they attack back and the leads into further communication problems.

Is it that important for you to ridicule someone elses beliefs? How much of that have to do with the possibility that you were ridiculed a lot when you were a child? Maybe you grew up where ridicule was the norm in your environment.

With me I will say I was brought up to respect others views however stupid, delusional, or ignorant they may be.
That is why I love the the advice of a Buddisht sage:
The true path is only difficult for those that make distinctions.
Do not like, do not dislike.
Then everythings will become clear.
Master Seng Ts'an

I believe that if I reply to your OP by saying that your are full excretion or that it is all a lot of Bobine Scatology in more raw terms you may react differently than reading this message. There is the possibility that you will say that is not true now that I bring it up to you so maybe you are predispose to prove me wrong. I do not know, take care.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Agreed.
Most believers have their entire self identity (not just Christians btw) entwined in a series of unprovable assertions that they internalized. That must be tough. It's no surprise that they would feel threatened by things that challenge their world view.

Too bad.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Agreed.
Most believers have their entire self identity (not just Christians btw) entwined in a series of unprovable assertions that they internalized. That must be tough. It's no surprise that they would feel threatened by things that challenge their world view.

Too bad.
I believe this comment applies to all of us as humans regardless of what we beleive whether in religion, atheism, science, etc. Some of us react differently depending of our personality make up, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism