Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 5,917 times

Advertisements

Well you landed in the Bible Belt, sorry to say. I personally respect all religions, the problem is that no one acts the character of the religion they serve, you can be a christian and support the death penalty, you can be a catholic and go to church on sunday and beat your kids on monday. Any true faith that teaches us to treat each other like human beings, really isn't a bad thing to have around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Fortunately for us, the science side won this one and in fact, McElroy was defeated when he ran in 2010.

Still, they managed to get through revisions to our History texts in 2010.

Historical

They managed to remove Thomas Jefferson from a World History unit on influential political thinkers of the 18th century and to replace him with St. Thomas Aquinas and John Calvin. They added Newt Gingrich, Phyllis Scafley and Jerry Falwell to the standards documents, but not supreme court justice Sonia Sotomayer. They are insisting on forgetting racism against the Japanese during WWII by insisting that Germans and Italians were also interned (some may have been, but not at anywhere near the scale of the Japanese internment). All references to Capitalism have been taken out in favor of *free enterprise* language. The second amendment is being stressed over the first amendment and in particular, the separation of church and state is not being taught. Joe McCarthy is *vindicated* by history according to the TBOE. Slavery has been deleted from the slave trade in favor of the Atlantic Triangular Trade.

Whether teachers and school districts will adhere to these standards is anyone's guess. The most egregious part to me is removing Thomas Jefferson, but the whole suppression of minority contributions is simply terrible especially in a state with such a large minority population.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 40,692 times
Well you are aware it takes more faith to believe in evolution to believe in Christianity. So you deny the supernatural in favor of the ignorant belief that first there was nothing and that nothing exploded to give us the universe. You know that contradicts the law of physics, but who cares about real science?? Oh wait, he's one more. We evolved from a rock or piece of dust or whatever you want to the most complicated creature ever in existence.

Yeah, Christians are confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post

Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM

46 posts, read 40,692 times
I don't go up to anyone and ask if they heard of Jesus and I have never in the past 20 years have someone ask me that question. Now what I will say if the situation presents itself and the subject matter of faith comes up, then yes we should speak the truth. My point is that Christians should not be ashamed our of beliefs and should want to spread the good news when the opportunity presents itself. Many people feel the need to be politically correct and keep their mouths shut about faith and salvation and truly are doing the unsaved a grave injustice by keeping salvation to themselves.

You respect Catholics who keep their opinions to yourself because you don't want to hear about your future destination. Who would want to hear that once you die you are not going to heaven and you are going to have eternity in a very negative place? That's a very bleak outlook and who wants to hear about something so negative about their future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Even if I were to assume that one would logically equate imminent death/injury from getting hit by a car with 100% certainty of ones fate after death - I still think it's rude and socially unacceptable. In America in 2012 (or really any point in our history), every person is familiar on some level with Christianity and its teachings. In fact, the non-religious have even been shown to be more knowledgable than most believers.

So I don't see how any logical person can go up to a stranger and say "Hey have you heard about Jesus?!" and reasonably expect someone to respond "Why, no I've never heard of this person, please enlighten me!" Especially considering how touchy and personally involved one tends to be about their views on religion - it's best to let people seek it out and come to their own conclusions than pester them unnecessarily.

My biggest point is that going out and proselytizing may in fact be counter-productive to your cause of saving souls. Most people do not want to be pressured or told they are wrong about something and many people (including myself) are turned off to the religions that are the most pushy about their beliefs (Mormons, JW's, Scientologists, and evangelicals). While I am firmly non-religious, I am much more open to and feel positively about those who respect others' beliefs and mostly keep to themselves (Jewish, Catholics, Buddhists).

Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
Well you are aware it takes more faith to believe in evolution to believe in Christianity. So you deny the supernatural in favor of the ignorant belief that first there was nothing and that nothing exploded to give us the universe. You know that contradicts the law of physics, but who cares about real science?? Oh wait, he's one more. We evolved from a rock or piece of dust or whatever you want to the most complicated creature ever in existence.

I think you are a bit confused. I was responding to the Texasn2008's comment regarding Texas and what was the most recent BOE decision on the teaching of evolution.

Texan2008 wrote:
Quote:
a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools.
Do you have something more recent than what I referenced?

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-15-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:

You have some misconceptions about the Big Bang Theory, first of all
Big Bang Theory

Quote:
Experts however say that there was no explosion; there was (and continues to be) an expansion. Rather than imagining a balloon popping and releasing its contents, imagine a balloon expanding: an infinitesimally small balloon expanding to the size of our current universe.
Note that the Big Bang Theory is not the only theory consistent with the expanding universe. Science is nice that way. The Big Bang Theory is simply the one that has been around the longest. It may not be true and some other theories have been proposed. None of them involve God though as God is simply not provable.

No, it does not take faith to believe in evolution at all. Evolution is a scientific theory and there is a lot of evidence that it happened. There is a great deal of evidence that humans evolved from simpler creatures.

https://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence
DNA and genes, in particular, point to humans being related to other life on earth.

What is the evidence for evolution?
If you read the lines of evidence, it would help. But you also need to be knowledgeable about what evolutionary theory is and what it is not. Evolution deals with living things. It has nothing to say about the origin of the first living thing at all. Abiogenesis is a different study.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,798 times
Quote:
Well you are aware it takes more faith to believe in evolution to believe in Christianity. So you deny the supernatural in favor of the ignorant belief thatfirst there was nothing and that nothing exploded to give us the universe. You know that contradicts the law of physics, but who cares about real science?? Oh wait, he's one more. We evolved from a rock or piece of dust or whatever you want to the most complicated creature ever in existence.

Yes, someone is certainly confused. And that someone is you, who can't distinguish between biology and cosmology.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
You need to learn to "COEXIST"

Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
Quote:
I don't go up to anyone and ask if they heard of Jesus and I have never in the past 20 years have someone ask me that question. Now what I will say if the situation presents itself and the subject matter of faith comes up, then yes we should speak the truth. My point is that Christians should not be ashamed our of beliefs and should want to spread the good news when the opportunity presents itself. Many people feel the need to be politically correct and keep their mouths shut about faith and salvation and truly are doing the unsaved a grave injustice by keeping salvation to themselves.

You respect Catholics who keep their opinions to yourself because you don't want to hear about your future destination. Who would want to hear that once you die you are not going to heaven and you are going to have eternity in a very negative place? That's a very bleak outlook and who wants to hear about something so negative about their future?
You should not be ashamed of your beliefs but you also shouldn't go around shaming others' beliefs (or lack thereof). It is not about being politically correct, it is about being respectful. I understand you may see it as doing them a "grave injustice," but I can assure you that you are doing more harm than good to you are approaching random people in public (which it doesn't appear you are). I don't think you appreciate the irony in how you feel about doing the unsaved a grave injustice with how non-believers may think the same thing about you. You see, we all have a finite time on this Earth and non-believers can "save" the believers from wasting their lives immersed in only one philosophy and one school of thought, when there is a vast array of human knowledge to explore and experiences to be had that their religion prohibits. But non-believers respect that you may not see it that way, and don't go out trying to convert people.

I don't even want to address the eternity in a very negative place bit because, come on...that is the theists "ace of spades" ("if you don't agree with me, you're going to hell!") and it reeks of desperation. You know that non-believers don't believe that bunk right? Why even waste your time?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
North Dallas area actually..Collin county.

Whatever, dude.
I have lived here 23 years and have not been plagued and tortured even 1/100th of what you are implying. Your intolerance is magnifying a miniscule problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism