Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Im not 'proselytizing' for i dont recieve a commission check on the third friday of each month for mentioning the person of God . Afterall, the OP made reference to God didnt he ?! Theres nothing wrong with mentioning our Creator even if many people want to pretend he isnt necessary .
But we all know that you are just secretly collecting "glory tickets" just to be sure you can 'get in'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
that reward at the end of the line is the worst thing that was ever created, and the best...the best way to trap and chain humans and the worst because of the false hope it gives..I bet so many took their own lives to get into heaven, they had to add that clause that suicide is a sin.....

Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 AM

434 posts, read 342,367 times
Quote:
Im not 'proselytizing' for i dont recieve a commission check on the third friday of each month for mentioning the person of God . Afterall, the OP made reference to God didnt he ?! Theres nothing wrong with mentioning our Creator even if many people want to pretend he isnt necessary .
Do you come from Texas?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Are you completely clueless about how offensive this remark is?
I wonder how clueless people who verbalize the excuse that 'God isnt necessary' is as an offense to the very Creator who fashioned them in his image and who set the Universe in motion.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But we all know that you are just secretly collecting "glory tickets" just to be sure you can 'get in'

If anyone gets into Heaven, it wont be because they earned it or deserve it. So theres no such thing as the misconception of 'glory tickets' .

Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
Do you come from Texas?
No, but I love their Bar-B-Q beef and The Yellow Rose of Texas song sung in the key of C .

Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,205 times
Quote:
I wonder how clueless people who verbalize the excuse that 'God isnt necessary' is as an offense to the very Creator who fashioned them in his image and who set the Universe in motion.
Of course, there's no evidence such a being exists to take offense in the first place, but let's not let silly considerations like that get in the way here.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Of course, there's no evidence such a being exists to take offense in the first place, but let's not let silly considerations like that get in the way here.
The 'No Evidence' excuse is palatable only to those who dont want there to be a personal theistic Creator to ruin their unbridled fun , who arent interested in opening their eyes to the obvious evidence readily available for all to consider, who dont want to move their fingers for a simple google search for the evidence, who could care less about such miniscule things, who find it appauling to be OWNED by someone higher than Self, and who are willing to pretend that given enough time/matter/chance that anything can happen....even a material only Universe bringing forth such NON-material things like Human Consciousness, Mind, Emotions, Reason, Logic, Rationale, Love, Moral Oughtness , et al ultimately from rocks, dirt, planets, and a big fiery explosion . Do you still have your Pet Rock from the early 1980's ?! If that was before your time, do a simple google under it and discover the personality a Pet Rock enjoyed.

But hey...lets not allow silly considerations and willful charades like that to get in the way here .

Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,205 times
Quote:
The 'No Evidence' excuse is palatable only to those who dont want there to be a personal theistic Creator to ruin their unbridled fun...
As long as it harms none, my unbridled fun should not be ruined by anything. That other people think so reflects very poorly on them, in my opinion. Perhaps they're bitter that they're purposefully preventing themselves from having some fun, and want to make it so that nobody else can either? And I never recall specifically "not wanting" there to be a deity/ies. There just isn't sufficient evidence to convince me. If there was, I would be compelled to believe. That is what skepticism is all about, you know.

Quote:
who arent interested in opening their eyes to the obvious evidence readily available for all to consider,
If it was that readily available, you'd think there'd be more of it, and more convincing arguments too. I certainly haven't seen anything in all my years that would even begin to convince such fantastic claims are true.

Quote:
who dont want to move their fingers for a simple google search for the evidence,
Good to know that evidence for such profound things can simply be found on Google! And to think that all this time I was a skeptic for no good reason! I think I am gonna go to AnswersInGenesis right now and begin my conversion!

Quote:
who could care less about such miniscule things, who find it appauling to be OWNED by someone higher than Self,
I find it completely appalling that any sentient being could be owned by any other, yes. Nobody and nothing owns me. Never has, and never will.

Quote:
and who are willing to pretend that given enough time/matter/chance that anything can happen...
Now you're starting to get it. On cosmological timescales and spaces the phenomenally improbable becomes completely inevitable.

Quote:
even a material only Universe bringing forth such NON-material things like Human Consciousness, Mind, Emotions, Reason, Logic, Rationale, Love, Moral Oughtness , et al ultimately from rocks, dirt,
planets, and a big fiery explosion.
Your incredulity concerning the material origins of these things isn't just going to make it true, you know. And who (other than MysticPHD ) says consciousness and everything else you mentioned don't have a material origin? I think this is less about religion and more about your startling paucity of imagination.

Quote:
Do you still have your Pet Rock from the early 1980's ?! If that was before your time, do a simple google under it and discover the personality a Pet Rock enjoyed.
Not sure what you're getting at here, but I do know it has nothing to do with anything.

Quote:
But hey...lets not allow silly considerations and willful charades like that to get in the way here
Speaking of willful charades...

Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
If anyone gets into Heaven, it wont be because they earned it or deserve it. So theres no such thing as the misconception of 'glory tickets' .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism