Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,587,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Fictional characters have fictional qualities.
Prove us.

There are plenty and enough of evidence that Jesus Christ existed.
I mean common sense; why would hundreds of people write about Jesus Christ if that person never existed?!
Why would 2.2 billion Christians and 1.5 billion Muslims believe and follow Christ? (Muslims believe he was an important prophet and are awaiting for his second coming and is mentioned much more in the Quran that Muhammad).

OK, I don't expect you to believe that he performed miracles, walked on water, turned water into wine - but you should still believe he existed.

Denying Christ existence is same as denying Hitler existed in 2,000 years from now.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,418 times
I think Jesus just had a small band of followers. So no he was not a great leader. And what I’ve read in the new testament he did nothing to warrant being called a hero.

Mahatma Gandhi yes.
Jesus no.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
I think Jesus just had a small band of followers. So no he was not a great leader. And what I’ve read in the new testament he did nothing to warrant being called a hero.

Mahatma Gandhi yes.
Jesus no.

Cheers,
Aeroman
Really? 2.2 billion Christians + 1.5 billion Muslims believe in Christ.
I'm sure the number would have been much larger if more and more people heard the gospel of Jesus Christ and have chance to convert.

Gandhi said "I love your Christ".

Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Really? 2.2 billion Christians + 1.5 billion Muslims believe in Christ.
I'm sure the number would have been much larger if more and more people heard the gospel of Jesus Christ and have chance to convert.

Gandhi said "I love your Christ".
How many followers did Jesus have when he was alive?

Last edited by Aeroman; 09-04-2012 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: If he ever lived.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Nun... Aero was talking about how many followers Jesus would have had in his own life time. You reply by citing how many you think he has NOW today. Could you have missed the point any further I wonder?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
How many followers did Jesus have when he was alive?
He had a lot, but not as many as today because population was MUCH smaller during Biblical/Jesus time than it is now (7 billion today).

Remember that Jesus was persecuted and killed when he was only ~ 33 years old. The Romans and Jewish leaders were persecuting those who were follower and believers in Christ.

BTW how would you expect people from far away (other countries) following and hearing Christ when there was no media or anything during that time? Think twice.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Prove us.

There are plenty and enough of evidence that Jesus Christ existed.
I mean common sense; why would hundreds of people write about Jesus Christ if that person never existed?!
Why would 2.2 billion Christians and 1.5 billion Muslims believe and follow Christ? (Muslims believe he was an important prophet and are awaiting for his second coming and is mentioned much more in the Quran that Muhammad).

OK, I don't expect you to believe that he performed miracles, walked on water, turned water into wine - but you should still believe he existed.

Denying Christ existence is same as denying Hitler existed in 2,000 years from now.
Hitler is just a mortal man, without claim of being anything else, not the son of a god, didn't do magic, didn't come back from the dead. Your premise is baseless and a desperate attempt to justify the absurdity of "the son of a god" fable.

The "son of god", a.k.a. JC never existed. Doesn't mean someone didn't call themselves Jesus Christ, perhaps he was a good guy, perhaps he was a self-serving con artist like Joel Osteen or Benny Hinn.

That said, let me emphasize my point, I deny your Christ, as you see him a son of your god, for the simple reason your god is purely fictional, and cannot impregnate a woman "immaculately" or the good old fashion way.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I understand that atheists/nonbelievers do not believe in Christianity or any other religion, but if you read the holy Bible (New Testament), read quotes by Jesus Christ and saw how loving, friendly and great he was; Do you at least acknowledge him as a hero or great leader/person?

The reason why I brought up this topic was due to having an atheist friend who dislike religion, but had an image of Jesus Christ in his room because he loved his quotes and consider him an awesome hero and said everybody should be like Christ.
I also watched a clip online when a Muslim Imam said that even him had an image of Christ, along with some other famous people.

Yes, there are enough historical evidence that a person named Jesus Christ existed. Now, we cannot proof that he was Son of God just like we cannot proof that God exists 100% (Even though we believe in Him) and nobody could proof that God does not exists either.
This is your original post.
You asked, we answered.
Why are you arguing?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Hitler is just a mortal man, without claim of being anything else, not the son of a god, didn't do magic, didn't come back from the dead. Your premise is baseless and a desperate attempt to justify the absurdity of "the son of a god" fable.

The "son of god", a.k.a. JC never existed. Doesn't mean someone didn't call themselves Jesus Christ, perhaps he was a good guy, perhaps he was a self-serving con artist like Joel Osteen or Benny Hinn.

That said, let me emphasize my point, I deny your Christ, as you see him a son of your god, for the simple reason your god is purely fictional, and cannot impregnate a woman "immaculately" or the good old fashion way.
I did not ask you to agree and believe that Jesus Christ was son of God, a God or performed the miracles that is written in the Bible.

I asked if you consider him at least as an hero because of his speech, quotes and other great things he has done as a human. I'm sure other people both past and present could be considered heroes, but his thread is about Jesus Christ.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 PM

I’m Buddhist and I don’t even think Siddhartha Gautama was a great hero.
Nor do I think he was a great leader. He was teaching us how to lead ourselves.
He even said,
“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find anything that agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Yet your Jesus claimed to be the son of the jewish god.
How egotistical.

No Jesus was not a great leader or a hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism