Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:03 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Have never given it a thought. If there was a man named Jesus who said to love thy neighbor, I sincerely hope that the world didn't need him to give us that idea.
It's not the "love thy neighbor" that I find compelling. It's the "love thy enemies" that was, and is, radical and elevates Jesus, myth or not, in my eyes.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Fictional characters have fictional qualities.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It's not the "love thy neighbor" that I find compelling. It's the "love thy enemies" that was, and is, radical and elevates Jesus, myth or not, in my eyes.
Whatever the reason for that sentiment (which the gospel Jesus seems to have interpreted pretty freely, by the way) and bearing in mind that it is one of those (at present) rather impractical dreams, I can see that as an admirable sentiment, which nevertheless in no way persuades me to give much credit to either the book or the character.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Whatever the reason for that sentiment (which the gospel Jesus seems to have interpreted pretty freely, by the way) and bearing in mind that it is one of those (at present) rather impractical dreams, I can see that as an admirable sentiment, which nevertheless in no way persuades me to give much credit to either the book or the character.

I wasn't trying to persuade anyone of anything. Just making a personal observation as someone who is still attempting to determine if/why the Jesus story is important.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 AM

1,300 posts, read 961,140 times
I suspect there was a real life cult leader on which the Christ myth was based.

Possibly a charasmatic (but politically clumsy) renegade rabbi. His early followers were the typical backward mystics, but Paul brought Roman administrative sophistication and structure that really made it into the dominant global cult it is today.

Of course the vast majority, if not all of the teachings and quotes attributed to him were made up after his death, so who knows what the guy was really like or really said.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:50 PM

372 posts, read 1,043,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I suspect there was a real life cult leader on which the Christ myth was based.

Possibly a charasmatic (but politically clumsy) renegade rabbi. His early followers were the typical backward mystics, but Paul brought Roman administrative sophistication and structure that really made it into the dominant global cult it is today.

Of course the vast majority, if not all of the teachings and quotes attributed to him were made up after his death, so who knows what the guy was really like or really said.
Based on some of the interviews/discussions with historians I've read and heard, "Jesus" was probably an amalgamation of many such people at the time. A lot of the tales told in the NT were by word of mouth of course. When someone decided to put them to paper, and others subsequently edited these writings over the years, they all become associated with one man - Jesus.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Our species has seen many wonderful people who have dedicated their lives to fighting the failures and injustices they see in the society around them. Many of them have died for it... often in ways that are very much worse than anything in the Jesus fairy tale.

If anything I just see "Jesus" as another one of these people. Not better or worse than any of them per se. I see no reason to see him any other way nor has anyone presented me with one, or even attempted to do so.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:15 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Sadly, there is no real Jesus... but "Trying to be like Jesus" is not an empty wish or silly desire. We really should be aspiring to be like that archetype. We all waste too much time trying to make him a real man (or not) and completely miss the actual point of the Jesus story.
Yes and no. I get your archetype approach but the dark side of trying to be like Jesus is embodied in the statement, "s/he has a Jesus complex". Jesus came to save mankind. People who try to save others are, at best, giving themselves short shrift and, at worst, are impertinent busybodies. Saviors know what's best for you and rather than teach you how to save yourself, want to swoop in and be the hero and have you in their eternal debt.

Since Jesus was supposed to have been fully god as well as fully man, it's odd that he created dependent, incompetent beings incapable of caring for themselves and then had to go to the trouble to save them. It would have been no more trouble for an omnipotent being to create us in the first place with what we need to function and of course, it would have avoided a lot of suffering for us which should have been incompatible with his alleged omnibenevolence anyway.

Much of the perceived nobility in emulating Jesus is the selfless giving of oneself to others ... but for what purpose and to what end? To HELP them, which is entirely driven by suffering, ignorance, poverty and want in people. Given that this is the human condition, helping others is both necessary and laudable. Yet ... we're talking here about the creator or at least his prime representative and it begs the question of why this Rube Goldberg arrangement when it is totally unnecessary. Christians will claim it's necessary for character development and some sort of "heaven-ready skillz" development or that god's hands are tied because of "free will" but yet claim that their god is all-powerful, all-knowing and totally benevolent. It just doesn't add up. God basically creates us as beings unworthy of a safe, rewarding, fulfilling existence, "saves" us from this condition but confers none of the needed relief until after death, and we're supposed to be grateful for the favor?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times

Jihad this - YouTube

Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM

446 posts, read 709,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I understand that atheists/nonbelievers do not believe in Christianity or any other religion, but if you read the holy Bible (New Testament), read quotes by Jesus Christ and saw how loving, friendly and great he was; Do you at least acknowledge him as a hero or great leader/person?

The reason why I brought up this topic was due to having an atheist friend who dislike religion, but had an image of Jesus Christ in his room because he loved his quotes and consider him an awesome hero and said everybody should be like Christ.
I also watched a clip online when a Muslim Imam said that even him had an image of Christ, along with some other famous people.

Yes, there are enough historical evidence that a person named Jesus Christ existed. Now, we cannot proof that he was Son of God just like we cannot proof that God exists 100% (Even though we believe in Him) and nobody could proof that God does not exists either.
There is ZERO HISTORICAL EVIDENCE that a person named Jesus Christ existed.

ZIP. NONE. NADA.

Jesus is no more a real person than Zeus. Or Hercules. Or the tooth fairy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.