Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 AM

369 posts, read 657,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Umm...those are track workers who were on the tracks. Those are not train crashes into other trains resulting in death.
Oh Ok, I didn't know track workers were considered less than... I can't believe what I'm reading, does that even matter? People died (once again) in a metro accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
For one, what makes MARTA cleaner is unlike metro they don't use carpets in their cars, nor cloth seats. Metro is the only rail service I've seen do that. Some of those same carpets on metro cars have been there since the beginning in the 1970s, I've seen people vomit, spill drinks, spit, mildew, they also get constantly wet from leaking rail car roofs etc. Absolutely disgusting; and no they are not cleaned in a timely manner if at all. They also create heavy dust particles.

some of the new metro cars dont have carpets but they have cloth seats, another smart idea. Some people think they know what neat is but they're actually pretty dirty in reality.
We both know this isn't really a competion because Marta can't compare to Metro. Marta carries 25% of the passengers and had 25% the coverage. Cleaner is subjective. Efficiency is not. In DC, many people live without cars by choice. In Atlanta, not so much. It's not a dig at Atlanta, it's the truth. /thread.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
In DC, many people live without cars by choice. In Atlanta, not so much. It's not a dig at Atlanta, it's the truth. /thread.
This is not true, there are many people in Midtown, Downtown and intown neighborhoods close to rail lines that chose to live without a car. My wife and I have a car, but never use it. We use mass transit for all of our trips, except trips home to Alabama because they have no transit. It is possible to live in Atlanta's urban core and a select few neighborhoods without cars.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This is not true, there are many people in Midtown, Downtown and intown neighborhoods close to rail lines that chose to live without a car. My wife and I have a car, but never use it. We use mass transit for all of our trips, except trips home to Alabama because they have no transit. It is possible to live in Atlanta's urban core and a select few neighborhoods without cars.
Over 50% of people living in DC proper commute to work by a mode other than an automobile including rapid transit, bicycling, or walking. DC trails only New York City in the amount of people commuting by means other than an automobile. We have the second highest train ridership in the country and the largest bike sharing system in the country. Comparing Atlanta and DC is comparing apples and oranges. The amount of people in Atlanta city proper who commute by car is staggering. That's just a fact. The sunbelt loves their cars and there is nothing wrong with being different.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 07-10-2012 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Over 50% of people living in DC proper commute to work by a mode other than an automobile including rapid transit, bicycling, or walking. DC trails only New York City in the amount of people commuting by means other than an automobile. We have the second highest train ridership in the country and the largest bike sharing system in the country. Comparing Atlanta and DC is comparing apples and oranges. The amount of people in Atlanta city proper who commute by car is staggering. That's just a fact. The sunbelt loves there cars and there is nothing wrong with being different.
I do not disagree with you there. DC is more compact and a lot was built before the automobile was cheap and roads were subsidized. DC and Atlanta can not be compared as the cities developed during different times. Atlanta is more comparable to Dallas, Houston, LA, and other large Sunbelt metros. I wish that Atlanta proper could 1 day become as dense and non-car dependent as DC. 1 thing Atlanta has that DC doesn't is the BeltLine project, which may help Atlanta to become more dense and transit oriented.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Oh Ok, I didn't know track workers were considered less than... I can't believe what I'm reading, does that even matter? People died (once again) in a metro accident.

My point is, accidents on the job happen. It can't be compared to accidents involving people who use the train system for commuting. Nobody says "Those trains are so dangerous to ride, did you hear about that worker that got hurt working on the tracks?" What happened to those workers or any construction workers working on buildings, roads, or infrastructure is absolutely horrible, but you can't compare those accidents to people using the roads, riding the trains, or working/living in the buildings. That was my only point. I don't really know what your agenda is, but you need to get a grip. There should be no hurt feelings becuase a comparison of the two systems is impossible to make. I only responded to this thread becuase you tried to make a comparison. Were you really serious trying to say Marta covers as much of the city of Atlanta as Metro? You would need two criss-cross lines in Atlanta to add to the two lines Atlanta has to equal the coverage DC's metro has in DC proper. DC's inner suburbs have greater metro coverage than Atlanta proper if you really want to analyse it. DC has 10 Metro legs coming out DC proper. This really isn't even close and that's not counting the 5 commuter rail lines coming out of DC proper. Like I said before, just enjoy Atlanta and whatever new opportunities you have down there.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I do not disagree with you there. DC is more compact and a lot was built before the automobile was cheap and roads were subsidized. DC and Atlanta can not be compared as the cities developed during different times. Atlanta is more comparable to Dallas, Houston, LA, and other large Sunbelt metros. I wish that Atlanta proper could 1 day become as dense and non-car dependent as DC. 1 thing Atlanta has that DC doesn't is the BeltLine project, which may help Atlanta to become more dense and transit oriented.

The beltline project is going to be great for Atlanta. DC being built out and walkable already doesn't have an area in need of redevelopment where that comparison could be made. Still, that is a wonderful project for Atlanta and will be something really unique. DC is buildings more along the lines of infill and greater density becuase the city is out of room. DC is projected to reach a density close to 14,000 people per square mile by 2032 so infill is the name of the game in DC. I know the beltline is more about parks and new communities while DC's 37 mile 8 line streetcar system underconstruction is more about creating even more rapid transit in DC proper. Since they will serve different purposes, it probably isn't a good comparison. It's good to see Atlanta embracing urban infrastructure though.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
For one, what makes MARTA cleaner is unlike metro they don't use carpets in their cars, nor cloth seats. Metro is the only rail service I've seen do that. Some of those same carpets on metro cars have been there since the beginning in the 1970s, I've seen people vomit, spill drinks, spit, mildew, they also get constantly wet from leaking rail car roofs etc. Absolutely disgusting; and no they are not cleaned in a timely manner if at all. They also create heavy dust particles.

some of the new metro cars dont have carpets but they have cloth seats, another smart idea. Some people think they know what neat is but they're actually pretty dirty in reality.
MARTA originally had carpet on the trains and on seat covers until it was removed from all vehicles in the 90s. Why? For exact reasons you state above. There's no worse feeling in the world than being stuck on a train with mildewed carpet.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The beltline project is going to be great for Atlanta. DC being built out and walkable already doesn't have an area in need of redevelopment where that comparison could be made. Still, that is a wonderful project for Atlanta and will be something really unique. DC is buildings more along the lines of infill and greater density becuase the city is out of room. DC is projected to reach a density close to 14,000 people per square mile by 2032 so infill is the name of the game in DC. I know the beltline is more about parks and new communities while DC's 37 mile 8 line streetcar system underconstruction is more about creating even more rapid transit in DC proper. Since they will serve different purposes, it probably isn't a good comparison. It's good to see Atlanta embracing urban infrastructure though.
Dc should thank America for helping fund metro

Old 07-10-2012, 01:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Dc should thank America for helping fund metro
I'm sure MARTA has received federal dollars. I bet every significant mass transit system in the US has received money from the feds.

But I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Metro has received significantly more federal funding than the average system. Also wouldn't be surprised if Metro gets federal dollars for operations too.

Why is their such animosity between DC and Atlanta? Their Metro system is envious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta