Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs99 View Post
I visit Austin alot. I have friends there...I think it's very overratted.
1.homeless people
2.No architechture.with all the construction going on you think they would come up with more intresting design concepts.
3.HOT....
4.aside from Bars and night clubs ...it's boring
5.lame Art museums....you would think in a college town it would be better
6.Sprawl
7.the people are snobs!
8.even though Austin is fairly liberal...it's not far from hicksville and a landscape of trailers and aluminum buildings.
9.the most pittiful Zoo I've ever been too.
10.traffic

Actually, there is some pretty interesting architecture around. Not necessarily the new condo buildings only. Of course this is also subjective depending on what you like.

The art museums will get better. They're building a new, larger one in a few years. The Blanton will improve with time as well. Have you visited the smaller galleries around town? There are some good ones.

The zoo is a rescue zoo, not a typical city zoo. In fact, "anti-zoo" might be a better way to describe it. A lot of people like that.

Hmm, I don't think I'm a snob. That's actually a pretty ignorant remark to make about all the inhabitants of a city.

Troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Its not that hot!
People are friendly!
No state income tax
Great music
Lake Travis
Great BBQ
Food is Cheap
Oil
State Capitol
Largest University in the USA
Property Values are not dropping like they are else where
-Yes, people are friendly.
-No state income tax barely makes up for extremely high property taxes.
-Great music, yes, if you like country and blues. Not really a deal maker/breaker for me. I like ACL.
-Lake Travis is crowded and has its spots that are full of 'un family friendly activities'. But, yes, pretty.
-Great BBQ. Definitely.
-Food is cheap. Not lately!!!
-Oil...still paying $3.75/gallon (car takes only premium), which is the same as in the rest of the US
-State Capitol. ?? Ok.
-Largest University in USA which is accessible only to the top 10% of students in Texas and foreign $tudents/out of $tate.
-Property Values not dropping, in fact INCREASING astronomically and thereby raising my property taxes.

I love the Austin that used to be. The new Austin, not so much.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Thumbs up I Like Austin, Anyway

I'd give you folks ten reasons why you shouldn't move to Austin.......

......except that they'd also be ten reasons I'd get thrown out of C-D.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:39 AM

208 posts, read 979,880 times
i live in the LA area (horrific traffic on freeways here) and have visited Austin several times. in comparison, i don't see the traffic as an issue. i didn't even notice any real traffic by LA standards.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elduderino38 View Post
You had a laundry list of complaints, some valid, most silly. Not sure whats so great about LA, its just a smog filled soulless mess of over priced wildfire earthquake waiting to happen sprawl IMHO.
i live in "LA". pretty much anything in LA county is considered LA.

i live about 50 ft from the beach. i don't notice any smog here with beach breezes.

i live in a really safe neighborhood where i can actually run to the store without worrying about locking my door. i've never had any sort of burglary or crime committed towards me in the 6+ years i've lived here.

i walk everywhere in my neighborhood. within 3 blocks i can go to restaurants, bars, the bank, a comedy club, music venues, shopping, a park, etc..

there are serious gem neighborhoods in LA, you just have to know where to look. most people that visit LA as a tourist go to Hollywood, Venice Beach, Rodeo Dr., Disneyland, The Santa Monica Pier, etc.. and they say "wow this place sucks!"

parts of LA do really suck - but there are also really really nice parts.

of course it is not perfect, no huge urban area is. that is part of the appeal for me though.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:39 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Why do people put Austin on a pedestal? I like Austin but the city is not down to earth but full of snobs. You don't have to walk around and tell people how beautiful you are. That said its a great place overall

Old 05-08-2008, 06:05 AM

13 posts, read 39,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
So... bad for non-snobby art/architecture/zoo lovers who hate sprawl and traffic but great for homeless people? Maybe one day they can move into a conveniently located trailer park in hicksville. Weird list.
How is it weird...I listed 10 reasons not to move to Austin.#1 is "it has a bad homeless problem"this is a negative...how do you get this as a positive...And snobby...I was told by my friends neighbor that he dosn't base his opinion about people on race or religion but on Social class when he told me that I couldn't belive it,and it's not just him alot of people in Austin are like this..these are all objective opinion about things that are negative about the city...if you want start a thread on "what are 10 reasons to move to Austin"

Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 AM

13 posts, read 39,139 times
Default sorry didn't mean to offend you

but this is a list of negatives, right 10 negatives.....I wasn't attacking you personally...you may not be a snob but I could give you a list of encounters I've had with the locals....I know the zoo is a rescue zoo I think thats great but the condition of the cages the animals are in is poor..I would like to see the local government invest some money in improvements...BTW i don't owen a bridge so don't call me a trolll....LOL

Old 05-08-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why do people put Austin on a pedestal? I like Austin but the city is not down to earth but full of snobs. You don't have to walk around and tell people how beautiful you are. That said its a great place overall
for me, i think it is because austin is a relative value. there a few places in the country that are as liveable/nice as austin yet still have affordable homes. i know austin is not perfect, but it is attractive for me because i can get a home for a fraction of the cost of many other similar cities.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,682 times
1. Traffic
2. People who are trying to out-Austin each other
3. Few quality museums
4. Too many people crowded into too few parks
5. Fewer Texas manners
6. Too many enviro-herba-soy-hemp-righteous
7. The tragically hip
8. Too humid
9. Sprawl (every place, I know.....)
10. Not enough Bob Wills

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin