Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:17 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Winters are "too cold" in both cities?
that's true, Canberra especially.

I wouldn't live in either of them....Cairns with 1/10th of th population has so much more to offer and is a hell of a lot warmer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 12:34 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
that's true, Canberra especially.
I was sort of teasing,
but the way minibrings described how much you "feel the cold" indoors in most Australian homes,
Canberra in winter especially sounds as scary (to me) as winter in northern Canada does.

*I've seen some current forecasts for Canberra; highs from 10-15 C, lows from -1 C to 4 C... and it's only May!
Even Melbourne looks a lot better, similar highs, but its lows running from 5-9 C.
Though there's a lot more sun in Canberra...
I suppose you wouldn't like to don a parka and head to ACT for some stargazing?

Old 05-17-2009, 04:05 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This is what I'm talking about. How is it more civilized just because you crossed the border?

No, I haven't, but I am interested in seeing both. That's why I asked.

That would explain that part of it, since most of the bad things I read are at BigFooty and coming from Victorians.

It's from comments I read in passing on any Aussie forum, be it for sport or architecture. It's just the general feeling I got. I'm not implying anything myself.
OK then. Then perhaps you should have worded the thread title or first post differently?

First off, there is a SA/VIC rivalry so you have to take whatever you read with a grain of salt. First off, it's not dead from ADL to the Vic border. Not in the least. I used to live in Adelaide and its a very liveable city; there are many things about it that I miss. Some people will knock it, others will praise it, its best to make your own opinion by visiting. Some will swear by Cairns, I personally would never be want to live up there. My point is, you will never get consensus on any forum on any city.

As far as Canberra I didn't think it was bad, its just not for me. A friend (from India) who lives there likes it; though the minute his company opens an office in Adelaide he is putting in a request to be sent back (he loved living in ADL and SA).

Last edited by minibrings; 05-17-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Sorry for the wording. Perhaps it is a cultural thing. When we (North Americans) ask what's wrong with something, it usually means that faults are not immediately apparent. It does not mean that we're about to reel off a list of negative points.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettal View Post
I'd feel very isolated if I lived in Adelaide. It's sort of like being stuck on an island except there's grassland instead of water.
I felt isolated living in Australia period. So far from NA and Europe.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
I think they have a reputation for being 'boring' compared to Sydney and Melbourne, but since Australia is still very Sydney-Melbourne focused (like the US is NY-LA focused) they have a tendency to bag other parts of the country. Queenslanders are lazy and too laid-back, South Australia is boring and the people are feral, Western Australia - well, few of them have even been out there, might as well be the Wild West to them.

There is plenty to see and do in and around those cities (Adelaide has the hills, vineyards, coast and is close to some great scenery) and Canberra's setting in the mountains is unique. Every Australian should go to Canberra at least once. It's not a huge, bustling metropolis like Sydney but I personally prefer it that way.

As for isolation, how can you call Adelaide isolated? It's a 7 hour drive from Melbourne. If you want isolated try Perth.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:39 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I was sort of teasing,
but the way minibrings described how much you "feel the cold" indoors in most Australian homes,
Canberra in winter especially sounds as scary (to me) as winter in northern Canada does.

*I've seen some current forecasts for Canberra; highs from 10-15 C, lows from -1 C to 4 C... and it's only May!
Even Melbourne looks a lot better, similar highs, but its lows running from 5-9 C.
Though there's a lot more sun in Canberra...
I suppose you wouldn't like to don a parka and head to ACT for some stargazing?
No point in heading to the ACT when there are warmer and sunnier locations a similar distance directly north from here

Old 05-18-2009, 12:29 AM

15 posts, read 64,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This is what I'm talking about. How is it more civilized just because you crossed the border?
Personally, when I crossed the border I found there was much better infrastructure in Vic, they just seem more advanced. Hard to explain.

It seems to me, most urban Australians don't really even think of Adelaide much at all, and when they do they think about the allegations of a high crime rate (which I don't believe to be true). I also get the impression that youth turn to alcohol or drugs out of boredom, but this applies to all of regional Australia too.

Don't get me wrong, I'd live in Adelaide before Sydney hands down. There's just a psychological feeling of emptiness and remoteness to the place, especially for someone from a large city.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

As for isolation, how can you call Adelaide isolated? It's a 7 hour drive from Melbourne. If you want isolated try Perth.
When your family is in North America and Europe, ANY city in Oz would feel isolated, as its a long flight in either direction to see them. This is all I am saying.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
No point in heading to the ACT when there are warmer and sunnier locations a similar distance directly north from here
I know, and I was teasing, but there also could be a practical side to the question,
like if someone had an extra plane ticket and was flying to ACT to go stargazing and asked if you'd like to join them...

Donning a parka would either be for 'dramatic effect' or perahaps actually needed when spending hours outside at night in temps from 1-5 C.
(At those temps, I would... though most of my fellow countrymen probably wouldn't )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand