Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
SA badlands is still much more interesting!
Do they have dinosaur remains there too?
I believe I've heard something on Australia having dinosaur remains...

Dinosaur Provincial Park and "Drumeller" in Alberta are supposed to be some of the best places to see dinosaur bones in North America,
as well as having some spectacular "badlands" scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Dont worry, I'm waaaay past "Snowtown" stage!

Actually, you dont see the polies wandering around in Canberra, I think they hide! What I liked about it was the scenery nearby, Mt Stromolo Observatory..or what's left of it, and all the consulates and embassies.
I first went there as a 12 year old..yeah, last year...and I loved it b/c it seemed like such a change from Deadalaide, modern, clean, and it had a lake with a big thinamajig in it. Very exciting for a 12 year old..possibly not so for an adult. We did get dragged along to Parliament House though, NOT the place for a bunch of bus-sick 12 year olds!
Last time we were there, they had a hot air balloon festival (yes, plenty of fuel there!), and we could see the balloons rising from our hotel window, a majestic sight.
hehe....I think!

Yeah, maybe the pollies wised up that they're more likely to cop a rotten tomato walking the streets of Canberra unchaperoned?

You know I don't think I've been to the "new" parliament house and I'm not sure they took us to the old one either. I do remember going to the War memorial as a kid. It's been 20 years since I've been there so I only remember little bits about the place and although I've been to Robe in the last few years I haven't been to Adelaide since I was a toddler.

No matter, I'd go back to either given the opportunity. Just gonna get these other trips out of the way first.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
SA badlands is still much more interesting!
Yes, murder sites in general do have greater cultural value historically speaking.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I do remember going to the War memorial as a kid. It's been 20 years since I've been there so I only remember little bits about the place
No matter, I'd go back to either given the opportunity. Just gonna get these other trips out of the way first.
I always recommend the war memorial and I think it should be of interest to those even without an interest in military history. What I think is different about it is the "personal" touch. The WW1 uniform still preserved with mud from the trenches, the book that stopped a bullet, the clock that froze in time at hiroshima, the individual pictures of the hundreds of soldiers who died in one particular death camp and the pictures of the six survivors, etc. A lot of interesting and fascinating stories are in there, not the usual in 1939 such and such happened and in 1941 such and such happened, etc.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I always recommend the war memorial and I think it should be of interest to those even without an interest in military history. What I think is different about it is the "personal" touch. The WW1 uniform still preserved with mud from the trenches, the book that stopped a bullet, the clock that froze in time at hiroshima, the individual pictures of the hundreds of soldiers who died in one particular death camp and the pictures of the six survivors, etc. A lot of interesting and fascinating stories are in there, not the usual in 1939 such and such happened and in 1941 such and such happened, etc.
Completey agree wanneroo.

They've done a fantastic job of humanizing the exhibits. It's not just facts and figures, which truly are heartbreaking, but by making it personal the place has a much greater impact I think. I also think that by telling the stories of individuals, showing the letters and the personal things, really does make it much more real and your response is much more emotional and empathetic. I've certainly never forgotten the place.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:06 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
What's wrong with Adelaide? Well, it's been hit by swine flu for one thing..

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nova-photos/42649/medium_29042009_001_.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
bwahahaha! Not as bad as Melbourne or them poor sods floating off the Queensland coast I'm bettin'!

Yeah! Reckon the pig's finally getting his revenge! Who's eatin bacon now huh?

YouTube - Babe The Gallant Pig - La La La

Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Lol I noticed those pigs as I walked down the Rundle Mall. Btw the Rundle Mall easily beats the malls we have here in Perth (we do have two and a square but the Rundle Mall is a good 4 times as big as each).

Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Do they have dinosaur remains there too?
I believe I've heard something on Australia having dinosaur remains...

Dinosaur Provincial Park and "Drumeller" in Alberta are supposed to be some of the best places to see dinosaur bones in North America,
as well as having some spectacular "badlands" scenery.
There's a number sites in Australia, where dinosaur remains have been found. In SA, bones have been found at Andamooka and Coober Pedy.

Australian Dinosaur Sites

Gotta love a dinosaur called the "Ozraptor".

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 05-28-2009 at 06:34 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 05:59 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
I love those pigs. I have a picture of my drunken mates late at night pretending to do naughty things to them. I'm sure it wasn't the first (or last) time those pigs will appear in photos..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand