Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:36 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Nothing wrong with convict labour. They should start using it again. Make the crims do some work rather than sitting around watching DVDs on our tab. Chain Gangs to clean up litter and graffiti, would be a start. Useful rehab.
I remember in Alabama they started doing chain gangs again keeping the highways clear of trash and other things.

If I'm going to be paying for their room and board, I want a return on my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Nothing wrong with convict labour. They should start using it again. Make the crims do some work rather than sitting around watching DVDs on our tab. Chain Gangs to clean up litter and graffiti, would be a start. Useful rehab.
True. Prisons here are akin to Hotel rooms. Infact, our assclown labor governements wanted to introduce things like dimmer switches to prisoner's cells

Labor, while being a nazi and commie regime at the same time, also puts criminals ahead of victims.

Labor needs to die a swift death ASAP.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
I got this surprise email from a mate who moved from Adelaide to Perth. It surprised me as all I asked was "how's life in Perth" and I have never known him to be a whinger (these are not my words btw):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perth is a ghetto of sorts - for the socially regressed. Everything closes here at 5pm and nothing is open on a Sunday. The mentality here is that the status quo must be maintained and no new thinking on any subject will be entertained. The standard answer to everything here is NO! They should rename Perth to NO.

Perth is multicultural vacuum, overweight with migrants from Britain whose tastes seem to be limited to stale beer from the slops tray, bacon sandwiches, fried sausages, eggs and chips. It's enough to give you heart attack.

I reckon we'll only give it another 18 months or so here and look to move elsewhere. Sometimes I think we should have stayed in Adelaide. Definitely more progressive attitudes in Adelaide. They aren't afraid to do things there and you have choice. Just no work there which is a bastard.

Anyway, I'm hoping to win the $80m in the lottery tonight so I can put all this behind me.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,468 times
^ Perth: The Experience Of Yesteryear!

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-30-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 03:07 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
I have an aussie friend that has lived in the states for 35 years. The first 30 years of his life were spent bouncing around northern NSW and western australia. He hadn't been to Perth probably since 1973 or so. He decided in 2005 to move back to Perth from the USA so he put his few belongings in storage and went. He lasted about six weeks.

Mostly he found it flat and boring and said even the women were ugly. Felt like he was a stranger in his own land.

Personally I can't wait to see Perth but I don't have high expectations. Probably I'll enjoy the southern coast and margaret river area better because I'm more of a rural person anyways.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
...Perth is a ghetto of sorts - for the socially regressed.
Yeah, lot of 'end of the line' people here, we noticed. Scary types. All places have 'em, but not in such proportion I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
...Everything closes here at 5pm and nothing is open on a Sunday. The mentality here is that the status quo must be maintained and no new thinking on any subject will be entertained. The standard answer to everything here is NO! They should rename Perth to NO.
Yep, noticed that too. A very deep aversion to change. The isolation probably has something to do with it. 'No' to everything and the few things that do get a 'Yes' answer are often a debacle, like the embarrasingly grotesque Convention Centre. Smack dab in the middle of a ghost town city centre that shuts down outside of business hours and most of the few hanging around there after dark would best be avoided.

I've met a lot of Perthlings who are die-hard Perth fans and believe Perth is absolutely perfect. The best place in the world forever and ever, Amen. So they don't think anything should be changed.

And if the proposed change is something the Eastern Staters have, well, then no bloody way will they even consider it! There's a strange hostility towards Eastern Staters by many Perthlings. Far more vitriolic than the hostility towards Eastern Canadians from western Canadians.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:26 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I have an aussie friend that has lived in the states for 35 years. The first 30 years of his life were spent bouncing around northern NSW and western australia. He hadn't been to Perth probably since 1973 or so. He decided in 2005 to move back to Perth from the USA so he put his few belongings in storage and went. He lasted about six weeks.
Funny thing that you should mention the year 1973 ... I have a Perth-born friend in Vancouver who, when she heard we were moving back to Perth, told me it would be like moving back to 1973. LOL! I'll always remember that. She was dead right. (Damn her! )

Somehow I end up having lots of migrant friends - Canadians, Americans, Brits, Europeans, South Africans, etc. Through the 10 years I've been here, with the exception of the South Africans, I've said goodbye to over half of them. Most returned, others moved to eastern parts of Oz. And some of the others are talking about doing so themselves. Nothing wrong with living in another country. In fact, I think it's a great experience. Better to try than to regret never doing so in the first place. But I think Perth is a particularly tough place to stay happy and settled, once the initial euphoria about the weather and beaches wears off.

It's a big change coming to Perth, especially if you come from large multicultural, cosmopolitan cities. Perth is a big country town. Which for many is perfectly wonderful. For others it's a place of boredom and stagnation.

Quote:
Mostly he found it flat and boring and said even the women were ugly. Felt like he was a stranger in his own land.

Perth's flat alright. Sea meets the beach, until about 35km inland, there's a bump in the landscape, called "The Hills". That was a tough change for us, coming from living on the side of a thousand-metre mountain in Vancouver and always having the gorgeous North Shore mountains as a compass point (North), to here. Flat as a run over lizard. The beaches though are pretty gorgeous. I'm lucky to live close to that.

Quote:
Personally I can't wait to see Perth but I don't have high expectations. Probably I'll enjoy the southern coast and margaret river area better because I'm more of a rural person anyways.
I think the Southwest of WA is a jewel. Perth is just a city with a few pretty spots in it whereas the Southwest is one big pretty spot. Are you going as far as Esperance? That's my favourite part of what I've seen of W.A. Spectacular imo. Then further west towards Albany and Denmark too. Even the bleak inland, around Lake Grace, is quite interesting. Lots of dry salt lakes. The Wheatbelt is nice too.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
You hear attitudes like that all the time mini. I do share is frustration at our backward parochialness, like the fact everything shuts early (though that's changing), but I wouldn't agree we're a mono-culture anymore; we're getting as diverse as any other city in Australia with plenty of different cusines, festivals.etc.

I chucked at that little nugget wanneroo. Even the women are ugly? Lol. Actually the women here are pretty alright, better than Adelaide imo . But yeah I'm actually kinda sick at hearing compliments about Perth 'oh it's so lovely, I'd LOVE to live there!' Yeah, you lived here for what, 10 days, 2 weeks? Try 20 years. Well I guess many have lived here for that long, but their personalities tend to match the city: bland, kinda shallow, inward looking.

Being here in Melbourne I actually don't miss Perth the place very much at all.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:09 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
except that Perth has a climate that actually sees some damn sunshine.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
I have to say I was kind of surprised at his Perth comments and at how he thought he wishes he had stayed in Adelaide. Surprising as he is not an Adelaidian (he's from MEL) and used to tell me how he couldn't wait to get out hickAdelaide. LOL. So now I have to mates from Melbourne who have moved to Perth. One is flat out saying he wishes he had stayed in ADL. The other told me she is shocked that she is missing Adelaide and cried the last time she boarded a flight to Perth after a visiit to ADL to mates.

My next trip to Oz I still want to go wine tasting down in the Margaret River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand