Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.renee View Post
Hey so to all you hating on Adelaide and havent been here... give it a try and make it around summer time you wont regret it. I am an Adelaidean who has lived in America and is married to a black american man and we have chosen to make my hometown our home. Yes, Adelaide is more family orientated and not the party life central like Sydney, Melbourne and QLD but the people here are just as educated as any other place. You will have you good and bad in every state and race. Don't pre judge on a few people or from what you have heard. Adelaide is like an over sized country town with beautiful scenery, flora, fauna, beaches, wineries etc. Not all this stuff floats peoples boats especially if you from a big city... fair enough you dont have to call it home but just because it's night life is smaller doesn't mean it should be taken off the radar. My American husband has lived all over America and also in other countries and he really enjoys it hear. If you are looking for a quite retreat holiday to relax with a loved on or to bring the children its perfect. Home will always be home to each and every one of you, no one should contest that and you will always favour home where ever you call home. Adelaides crime rate is actually alot lower than other states and population plays a big part in this. We do have pubs, clubs and yes even strip clubs so take the country frame of mind out of the equasion and give it ago. Glenelg, Mclaren Vale, Port Noarlunga, City, Semaphore, Moana, Victor harbour, Adelaide hills all are extremely nice areas. You wont regret it visiting adelaide so long as you come here with the right frame of mind and thats an open mind. Don't past judgement or compare states from one another accept them for the unique differences. Also, if you come here to party you still wont regret it, I can assure you, you will walk out drunk, danced out, smiling and with not a dollar left in your wallett cos you drank it all away... Come in summer as people in Adelaide hybernate in winter. Kind of the old granny image in winter but summer we go just as wild as any other state with a smaller population... Anyways I'M OUT!! Visit and enjoy!
I agree, Adelaide has all you could want for a city of it's size. What bloody more would ya want, really, it has the hills, beaches, lots of natural scenery nearby, culture, nightlife.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree, Adelaide has all you could want for a city of it's size. What bloody more would ya want, really, it has the hills, beaches, lots of natural scenery nearby, culture, nightlife.etc.
Of course, Adelbrain is the only place on the planet with hills and beaches.
"Culture" and "nightlife"..such loosely defined terms. But I digress. What more could you want? People who don't second-guess everything you say, that would be nice. Such an "adorable" Adelbrain trait. Oh yes, and less importance on where one went to school, how refreshing that would be. The general smug pariochial-ness (is that even a word??) can be done away with too.
Fine for a visit, but you wouldnt want to.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Of course, Adelbrain is the only place on the planet with hills and beaches.
"Culture" and "nightlife"..such loosely defined terms. But I digress. What more could you want? People who don't second-guess everything you say, that would be nice. Such an "adorable" Adelbrain trait. Oh yes, and less importance on where one went to school, how refreshing that would be. The general smug pariochial-ness (is that even a word??) can be done away with too.
Fine for a visit, but you wouldnt want to.
What school did you go to?
I always enjoy your posts! Always superb.. hint of the right school if I were to take a gander.. as for Uni.. if you went to UNISA I'd be completely shocked..

LOL...

PS. And no convict blood, just like all the right people in the only state not settled by convicts!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,164 times
I spent a lot of my high school years in classes not unlike "Welcome Back Kotter". The part of Adelbrain I lived in was heavily populated with Italians, which was the one saving grace for me as a teen.
I went to uni there 150 years ago at Magill Campus which is now part of UniSA but was a CAE (College of Advanced Ed) back then.
No convicts, my mother was the first Australian, we're comparatively new here.
Lots of useless info but it's graveyard shift hour at work. (4.30 and I finish at 6. And it's Friday).
Sigh.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,468 times
Western Australia wasn't settled by Convicts either. The Swan River Colony was originally settled by weatlhy free settlers. But their economy started to fail and they turned to accepting convict labour, to try to rebulid it!

Not to mention that without WA, you probably wouldn't have the "Commonwelth of Australia". As originally WA wasn't going to support Federation. But the discovery of Gold in WA changed everything and we decided that it was actually worth us joining in with you lot.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-24-2009 at 01:49 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
But I'd also take a small USA town over a small AUS town any day...
Whyzat?? Having lots of USA experience but no AUS experience myself...

Old 07-25-2009, 12:57 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Western Australia wasn't settled by Convicts either. The Swan River Colony was originally settled by weatlhy free settlers. But their economy started to fail and they turned to accepting convict labour, to try to rebulid it!
Nothing wrong with convict labour. They should start using it again. Make the crims do some work rather than sitting around watching DVDs on our tab. Chain Gangs to clean up litter and graffiti, would be a start. Useful rehab.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:06 AM

True, but every newcomer to SA is told this fact and will be told several times during their stay, "you know SA was not a convict state..."

Quote:

Not to mention that without WA, you probably wouldn't have the "Commonwelth of Australia". As originally WA wasn't going to support Federation. But the discovery of Gold in WA changed everything and we decided that it was actually worth us joining in with you lot.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:34 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
True, but every newcomer to SA is told this fact and will be told several times during their stay, "you know SA was not a convict state..."
Yeah, I've heard that "Croweaters" are rather proud of that fact.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that "Croweaters" are rather proud of that fact.
ya I've even encountered non-natives who have moved here make that comment to me!

a croweater would never tell you that 25 years ago ADL was the murder capital of Oz..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand