Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
except that Perth has a climate that actually sees some damn sunshine.
Yep, that's one thing we've got a lot of - sunshine. It is nice, I have to admit. Quite cheery and uplifting. Especially in the middle of winter, like the last few days. And it's a brilliant blue. Utah had the same shade of brilliant blue when I was there in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well I guess many have lived here for that long, but their personalities tend to match the city: bland, kinda shallow, inward looking. .
GASP. I'm glad you're not or don't come across as bland, kinda shallow and inward looking.

Glad you are liking MEL.. I love love love MEL, despite it being in Vic. Just kidding Moon..

Old 07-31-2009, 11:56 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yeah, lot of 'end of the line' people here, we noticed. Scary types. All places have 'em, but not in such proportion I don't think.
Ah I've seen that before in Las Vegas and Daytona Beach. You get the feeling all the residents there have run as far away as they could from somewhere else and that was as far as you could go before dying in the desert or ending up in the ocean.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Perth's flat alright. Sea meets the beach, until about 35km inland, there's a bump in the landscape, called "The Hills". That was a tough change for us, coming from living on the side of a thousand-metre mountain in Vancouver and always having the gorgeous North Shore mountains as a compass point (North), to here. Flat as a run over lizard. The beaches though are pretty gorgeous. I'm lucky to live close to that.

I think the Southwest of WA is a jewel. Perth is just a city with a few pretty spots in it whereas the Southwest is one big pretty spot. Are you going as far as Esperance? That's my favourite part of what I've seen of W.A. Spectacular imo. Then further west towards Albany and Denmark too. Even the bleak inland, around Lake Grace, is quite interesting. Lots of dry salt lakes. The Wheatbelt is nice too.
Well what I meant by flat was bland and dull. I think after living in Colorado mostly for 30 years he couldn't adjust back to being in WA. Actually he bought a car while there and never came back for it. Apparently last I heard it is still at his uncles. He said I could have it if I ever went out there, but I imagine a 1987 toyota sitting for 4 years probably isn't running by now.

Mostly from what interests me is the entire southern part of WA and I think that will be the focus of my explorations.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I chucked at that little nugget wanneroo. Even the women are ugly? Lol. Actually the women here are pretty alright, better than Adelaide imo .
Well we'll see someday!

Old 08-01-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Ah I've seen that before in Las Vegas and Daytona Beach. You get the feeling all the residents there have run as far away as they could from somewhere else and that was as far as you could go before dying in the desert or ending up in the ocean.
LOL! Funny, in a depressing sort of way. Which is why we feel we need to leave. Not wanting to die in the desert nor end up in the ocean

Plus Perth is becoming more and more violent. The number of ferals on our streets wreaking havoc is ridiculous. Rock-throwing seems to be a new Perth fad. Or just Perth feral culture. Buses, cars, .... these cretins have nothing better to do in their pathetic worthless lives. They'll even plan the whole thing, have one of them run in front of a bus, make it stop, then his feral cretin mates will pelt the bus with bricks, chunks of concrete, whatever. Sick. Even sicker is the "justice" system which condones this behaviour. It's definitely getting worse.

We took special note when we were in USA and Canada to ask about this sort of stuff there. Read local newspapers too. Does not happen there, or if it does, it's rare or restricted to ghettoes and crap areas. We also did not notice the same sort of senseless vandalism where our friends and families live. The graffiti, broken bottles, smashed bus shelters, shrubs uprooted, street signs knocked over, people's outdoor lights smashed, etc., etc. Latest trend also seems to be paint bombing newly paved roads. It's ridiculous.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:06 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
Quote:
Yep, that's one thing we've got a lot of - sunshine. It is nice, I have to admit. Quite cheery and uplifting. Especially in the middle of winter, like the last few days. And it's a brilliant blue. Utah had the same shade of brilliant blue when I was there in May.
And in Perth it actually gets warmer than 20C in mid winter numerous times, here there is no chance of that from Mid-May to Mid-August most years

Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
And in Perth it actually gets warmer than 20C in mid winter numerous times, here there is no chance of that from Mid-May to Mid-August most years
Yeah, that'd be pretty depressing. Melbourne weather is definitely more like Vancouver weather - a big disappointment. Lots of spoiled plans, due to the weather. First year we got to Perth, it was even 25C for a few days in July. We were swimming at the beach, in bathing suits, getting odd looks from the locals. To us, it was like summer. Until we got acclimatised.

We've had at least 20C for the past 4 or 5 days here in Perth. Blue skies. You can go for your walk or run in shorts and a t-shirt. It's great. But not enough to keep us here

Old 11-08-2015, 03:57 AM

1 posts, read 916 times
I lived in Adelaide years ago. Adelaide has that sort of wrong turn feel about it, I only lived there for 8 months, thank God I got out.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:12 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,289 times
I have relatives that live in Canberra and they love living there. I think I could handle working there but don't know if I would live in the city itself. I actually like the surrounding countryside and could handle living in one of the small surrounding towns. Also Canberra is fairly close to a lot of things, eg the snow, beaches, not that far from Sydney if one must visit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand