Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 05:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

so kevin harvick ended up in the winner circle today by seven seconds over his team mate kurt busch. good run fro suarez also by finishing third in the race today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 07:36 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
Clint Bowyer was second. Suarez had a good run. It was interesting seeing his in car visor cam. That track is crazy bumpy. Stewert/Haas continues to stink up the joint

Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Clint Bowyer was second. Suarez had a good run. It was interesting seeing his in car visor cam. That track is crazy bumpy. Stewert/Haas continues to stink up the joint
you are right, my mistake.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:13 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times
Default France family considering sale of NASCAR?

The majority owners of NASCAR, the company which operates the namesake U.S. car-racing series and other motorsport events, are exploring options including the sale of their entire stake, people familiar with the matter said on Monday.

The France family, which controls NASCAR, is working with investment bank Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS.N) to identify a potential deal for the company, the sources said, cautioning that the deliberations are at exploratory stage and no agreement of any kind is certain.

--- Reuters ---
---5/7/2018---

Old 05-07-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
The majority owners of NASCAR, the company which operates the namesake U.S. car-racing series and other motorsport events, are exploring options including the sale of their entire stake, people familiar with the matter said on Monday.

The France family, which controls NASCAR, is working with investment bank Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS.N) to identify a potential deal for the company, the sources said, cautioning that the deliberations are at exploratory stage and no agreement of any kind is certain.

--- Reuters ---
---5/7/2018---
i dont know if this is good or bad news.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:45 PM

5,217 posts, read 6,147,251 times
I haven't posted here yet this year and have not really watched one race so far..........don't know if my input is even relevant, but here goes.

The last few years my interest has been diminishing in NASCAR, being in my late fifities just about all the drivers I had related to have since retired. I really don't like all the segments, rule changes and micro inspecting of the cars along with electronic surveillance on pit road to monitor speeds and other infractions.

I also miss the Speed Chanel and Dave Despain (Wind tunnel) show at night with recaps and interviews.

NASCAR has seen the writing on the walls but as we discussed the past few seasons they should have pulled the fire alarm and tried to stem the bleeding as even as small as it first was. If you go back a year or two in the posts we saw It and discussed it. As I mentioned before in a post or two, living in the south in a manufacturing field and working with solid blue collar employees we were ingrained in NASCAR in the late eighties and through the nineties. Every Friday and Monday was spent talking about the races. Just about everyone I worked along side had their favorite drivers hat on. We even had pools each weekend. I am still working at the same place with a lot younger employees now and no one talks about NASCAR. College football is the main topic, then the NFL, but even pro football interest is starting to wane.

Perhaps France see's that this is the best they are going to be and tough times are coming. I don't know the answer......perhaps with the younger fans so wrapped up in electronics and socializing, sitting there watching a race for an hour or two just doesn't cut it. Seeing the recent news about Monster Energy scaling back (and they paid way less for sponsorship than Sprint did) and now today's news about the France family you have to wonder if they have given up. They can't continue trying to fill up these huge tracks each Sunday........it just does not seem that long ago France was screaming expansion.

Just my three cents

Last edited by JBtwinz; 05-07-2018 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 04:08 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
There's no way NASCAR can survive long-term on its current trajectory. Ratings and attendance are in a long-term decline. Sponsors are leaving the sport. Driver salaries have nose-dived. Tracks have cumulatively removed in excess of 100,000 seats.

NASCAR needs to shorten the schedule considerably. Minus the All-Star Race and the Clash, there really should be no more than 24 races per year. End the season in late September or early October.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
There's no way NASCAR can survive long-term on its current trajectory. Ratings and attendance are in a long-term decline. Sponsors are leaving the sport. Driver salaries have nose-dived. Tracks have cumulatively removed in excess of 100,000 seats.

NASCAR needs to shorten the schedule considerably. Minus the All-Star Race and the Clash, there really should be no more than 24 races per year. End the season in late September or early October.

That would be a sensible remedy just picking the most popular tracks and shortening the schedule.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:53 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I haven't posted here yet this year and have not really watched one race so far..........don't know if my input is even relevant, but here goes.

The last few years my interest has been diminishing in NASCAR, being in my late fifities just about all the drivers I had related to have since retired. I really don't like all the segments, rule changes and micro inspecting of the cars along with electronic surveillance on pit road to monitor speeds and other infractions.

I also miss the Speed Chanel and Dave Despain (Wind tunnel) show at night with recaps and interviews.

I'd agree with you. I might have come along later, but I can say the exact same thing you did.. I got a serious interest in '93 when Gibbs came in.. Picked up in '95 and I likely didn't miss a race from '95 to '02 or so.. Went to at least one race a year. Now.. I enjoy the plate tracks and the road courses. That's about it. Haven't been to a race since a Truck series race at Iowa 6 or 7 years ago.

I miss "Inside Winston Cup" with Schrader, Benson, Waltrip and Bestwick.. Loved that show. I also miss "Winston Cup Scene".. I had a subscription to that from '95 until it ended publication in '04 or so. Really miss Benny calling the races.

But.. All the drivers from that era are gone.. Never really connected with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

I'd say you're being generous with 100k seats.. I'd say it's more than that. Just at Charlotte, the Diamond Tower Terrace was 20k I think. Places that haven't permanently removed seats have them covered.

I don't know if shortening the schedule is the way to go.. But I do think repeat visits to some places need to go away. And, I suppose if that means shortening the schedule, so be it. I used to love Pocono, but.. One would be enough. Trim a race from Dover at this point.. There's some good tracks that it would be interesting to see. I could get behind adding some road courses.. Road America? Iowa Speedway is a non-cookie cutter track that would be interesting. You can say it doesn't have enough seats.. Well, it probably does now. Love what Charlotte is going to do with the Roval.

Used to be, a 43 car field would have 46 to 48 cars attempting to qualify.. Remember the first race at Indy? 70 cars. Even in the early 00's it wasn't unusual to have 50+ cars attempting Daytona. Who DNQed for the 500 this year? Noone.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'd agree with you. I might have come along later, but I can say the exact same thing you did.. I got a serious interest in '93 when Gibbs came in.. Picked up in '95 and I likely didn't miss a race from '95 to '02 or so.. Went to at least one race a year. Now.. I enjoy the plate tracks and the road courses. That's about it. Haven't been to a race since a Truck series race at Iowa 6 or 7 years ago.

I miss "Inside Winston Cup" with Schrader, Benson, Waltrip and Bestwick.. Loved that show. I also miss "Winston Cup Scene".. I had a subscription to that from '95 until it ended publication in '04 or so. Really miss Benny calling the races.

But.. All the drivers from that era are gone.. Never really connected with others. .
Road courses have always been my favorite also. Bumping, banging and sliding through the corners. Just love seeing the competition and wheels off through some of the turns.

I did not mean to be doom and gloom but it is pretty obvious the sport has changed for the most part pretty dramatically.

Hopefully NASCAR will sit down and try to think things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing