Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,539,820 times

Advertisements

Damn a lot of people in here really love appliances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,880,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Just wanted to update everyone, I ended up buying a Honda. What turned me off to Hyundai was the lower resale value and the run-flat tires (I don't like the idea of not seeing a spare tire in the trunk).
Run-flat tires? What model?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,662,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Damn a lot of people in here really love appliances
A lot of people get tired of throwing their money away on junk.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,392 times
Going back to the OP (also, not reading through 14 pages of Hyundai debate):

I test-drove a Hyundai Genesis Sedan, with the 5.0L V8. Nice, quiet, and would sh** on a BMW 5 series in just about every way. Also, half the price of said 5 series.

I've driven the Genesis Coupe 2.0T before. Wonderful car, well built, FUN to drive!

The new Veloster, while very odd looking, is actually a wonderful little car. Fun to drive, and really well appointed for such a cheap price point. The thing even gets 38 highway!

If you had asked me 5 years ago, if I would ever buy a Hyundai, my answer would have been a definite "no". (and I would have probably thrown in the words "Korean" and "sh**box" somewhere in there). Nowadays, I find myself lusting after them. Hyundai has really gotten it's stuff together. Heck, in a few years they'll have well surpassed Honda and Toyota. They're already inching above both of them, offering higher quality products, at a cheaper price, with better warranties.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,573,141 times
That's why I purchased a brand-new 2007 Elantra here in LA for $4,600 under sticker ($11,9995 vs. an MSRP of $16,580); five years and 52K miles later, it's still wonderful, the interior size and rear legroom are best in its class, it gets great MPG (it better have for $4.25/gallon), and I'll definitely buy another Hyundai when the time comes.

They've improved dramatically in the past five years--no doubt about it; the Genesis coupe is a serious sports sedan with a riduclously modest price tag, and the Genesis is a solid automobile as well, with an equally startling price tag.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,435 times
I can see 15+ year old Toyotas and Hondas with 250k+ miles on them with the original engines and transmissions. Show me the Hyundais that are accomplishing that, and then i'll consider it to be reliable.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,094,428 times
We have driven Hyundais for years now, and have had no more problems with them than we have had with any other make. I am 62 BTW.
About two years ago, my daughter bought a Toyota Corolla. About one year ago, my company vehicle went from being a Grand Caravan to a RAV4. Our driveway is next to a wooded area. In the ten plus years we have lived here, only two vehicles out of many have had problems with mice getting into the passenger compartment. Both Toyotas. I have no idea how they keep getting into the cars.
By the way, I consider the RAV4 a POS. If you open a window or have one of the other doors open when you close a door, it sounds like you dropped a tin can on the pavement. Those air bags had better work. The car itself won't be protecting you.

If your service guy does not get the oil filter on properly and you run out of oil, your engine will likely seize up before the oil pressure light comes on. This is 2013! You would think by now all cars would have sensors that tell you the oil is getting low before it actually becomes a problem. Not this brand, though.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 AM

50,898 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatballs3000 View Post
I can see 15+ year old Toyotas and Hondas with 250k+ miles on them with the original engines and transmissions. Show me the Hyundais that are accomplishing that, and then i'll consider it to be reliable.
I actually have a '98 Acura with 277,000 miles...my mechanics are amazed at how good the engine still is.....BUT they have told me that if I were to buy a newer Acura or Honda, it would not be made as well as this car was made. In fact they told me to avoid any newer Hondas or Nissans in my next car and suggested Hyundai as an alternative (not that I'm getting rid of my Baby just yet, I have a mission now to get to 300,000 miles).

Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 803,401 times
If you don't like Hyundai's, that's your choice. Me... I bought my Santa Fe new in 2001. Eleven years and 160k miles later, it's running great and I still love it. I've done nothing but standard routine maintenance on it, and I've never had a major problem. It's by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 AM

4,217 posts, read 3,767,839 times
My step dad bought a 2001 Elantra with 30k on it years ago for $5000. He still uses it as a daily driver and has had zero problems with it. He roughly has 150k on it now. He bought it as a throw away car because of Hyundai's previous rep, but it has proven otherwise.

I wouldnt drive a Honda if I had a brand new one in my driveway free of charge, its one car I just think is a bland boring cookie cutter. I dont want to be another ant in the ant hill. They make an excellent car but I think Hyundai is a better choice in my opinion. If I was shopping for a new car today, I wouldnt stop at a Honda dealer but would definitely see myself stopping at the Hyundai dealer, or even Kia (which Hyundai owns). Never thought id hear myself say that but its true.

I think Toyota was an amazing car in the 80's and 90's but has gone downhill ever sense. They make a good car but I really dislike the interiors and new styling. Toyota seems to be a company that is geared towards the loyal Toyota owners that keep coming back regardless. Now going back to the post...give me a late 80's Supra or 90 something 4runner and I will take that over a Hyundai anyday. As far as brand new though...wouldnt stop at a Toyota dealer either unless I was in the market for a Land Cruiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive