Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 02:41 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,206,566 times

Advertisements

Because it is boring.

Close topic please. Question answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:40 AM

73,062 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Because it is boring.

Close topic please. Question answered.
How is it boring?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How is it boring?
Because nothing happens. Once contact is made you can tell if its a foul, single, double, triple, or home. There's no other actions.
No surprises.

There is a large amount of waiting.
More then half the time everything is still.
There's probably like 30 minutes or less of actual movement all pplayers combined.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,260,161 times
I think the fact that there's no salary cap and the fact that before the season starts, most people who have any understanding of the MLB can already predict whose going to be in the playoffs come October. The NBA usually has a good mixtures of teams that can be good and make a run in the playoffs, possibly going to the Finals, and all not necessarily in big market cities (OKC for example). The NFL has two different teams in the Super Bowl every year. You never see a Super Bowl repeat year to year. But, with the MLB, I think people are just so tired of the same old story of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals making a run for the World Series.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,381,932 times
Quote:
Because nothing happens. Once contact is made you can tell if its a foul, single, double, triple, or home. There's no other actions.
No surprises.

There's probably like 30 minutes or less of actual movement all pplayers combined.
I know what you mean. Chess is a great game.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM

870 posts, read 1,126,092 times
in my area, Montreal, baseball died with the '90s strike. used to have kids leagues from 7-8 yo old and up...no more , they switched to soccer.

we had baseball pools at school and then later at work, I knew most of the ML players and their stats...now I couldnt even name one frikking player. I dont know anyone who still follows the game or watch an occasionnal game on tv.

locally soccer is on the rise, football too but to a lesser degree. hockey is at a standstill. basketball never caught on. baseball which once was nearly as popular as hockey is defunct.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I know what you mean. Chess is a great game.
But it's not a sport.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,381,932 times
Quote:
But it's not a sport.
Yeah, I know. But you seemed to be describing it.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,317,262 times
Quote:
No surprises.

Quote:
The total 14 minutes of action [in a baseball game] was about three minutes more action than one might see in a football game, according to our previous study.
How Much Action is in a Baseball Broadcast? - WSJ.com

Quote:
According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.
Football Games Have 11 Minutes of Action - WSJ.com

Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...Although that doesn't explain why the National Hockey League is never ranked higher than fourth among the Big Four of professional sports in this country.
Because people who don't know hockey don't understand it and also have a hard time following the puck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball