Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I can imagine as a Lakers fans you must have comforted yourself from the short period of mediocrity by staring at the dozen or so championship banners overhead.
It is a sight to behold. I miss the Forum. Just being in the building was an experience. As a kid I was impressed with the banners. However, it was the retired jerseys that really hit me. I'd look at those names and realize all those guys played on that floor. It was always a surreal experience even when the team was lousy (by Lakers standards) in the 90's.

A couple of seasons ago the Lakers played a preseason game in the Forum. I tuned in just to see them take the floor of the Fabulous Forum one more time.

OT Nerdy Laker fan nugget: The Forum is the catalyst for the team's uniform change. When the team came to L.A. in 1960 they wore blue and white uniforms. When Jack Kent Cooke opened the Forum in 1966 he changed the team's colors. The opening of the new arena and a change to (the more royal) purple and gold were meant to signal a new era in Lakers basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
No offense but the whole "Laker Bot" thing was both delusional and funny.

Did you watch Kobe last year? In the playoffs? The Olympics?
How about Nash?
Dwight just had major back surgery.
Artest is fading fast.
Gasol, whom I defended, is still tough and under-rated by a lot of Laker fan-children.

Their bench is still crap.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
It is a sight to behold. I miss the Forum. Just being in the building was an experience. As a kid I was impressed with the banners. However, it was the retired jerseys that really hit me. I'd look at those names and realize all those guys played on that floor. It was always a surreal experience even when the team was lousy (by Lakers standards) in the 90's.

A
I can imagine.... I live out in the middle of the Atlantic so I've never had the pleasure of making it over to LA and seeing the arena with all the banners and jerseys.

One of these days...

Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times
They have a good front office and owner plus they are in a "hip hop" market which means they can recruit any player they want.

Playing in LA means more endorsement money and cred in the hip hop community which are the two most important things to all NBA players.

Lots of history there too and that doesn't hurt.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
They have a good front office and owner plus they are in a "hip hop" market which means they can recruit any player they want.

Playing in LA means more endorsement money and cred in the hip hop community which are the two most important things to all NBA players.

Lots of history there too and that doesn't hurt.
The Knicks have all that, except for a competant ownership\front office.

I would think that suggests that players want to go to teams with a proven record of making good decisions (Lakers etc.) and avoid teams that couldn't hit the floor if they were peeing. (Knicks, Orlando, Cleveland....)

Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No offense but the whole "Laker Bot" thing was both delusional and funny.

Did you watch Kobe last year? In the playoffs? The Olympics?
How about Nash?
Dwight just had major back surgery.
Artest is fading fast.
Gasol, whom I defended, is still tough and under-rated by a lot of Laker fan-children.

Their bench is still crap.
No offense but being a Laker fan for 17 years, I'm used to hearing all the hating. Shaq had never won anything, Kobe was too selfish, the Lakers were too young, Kobe can't win a ring being the man, Kobe really has 2 titles because the other 3 were Shaq's, Kobe shot 6-24 in game 7, the days of Kobe scoring 30 points a game are over, etc.

We'll see what happens. Every time they win the chip though, all the haters are like "So....we'll see next year, because blah blah blah"

Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
No offense but being a Laker fan for 17 years, I'm used to hearing all the hating. Shaq had never won anything, Kobe was too selfish, the Lakers were too young, Kobe can't win a ring being the man, Kobe really has 2 titles because the other 3 were Shaq's, Kobe shot 6-24 in game 7, the days of Kobe scoring 30 points a game are over, etc.

We'll see what happens. Every time they win the chip though, all the haters are like "So....we'll see next year, because blah blah blah"
The big difference is that I've ALWAYS logically defended my position and if you read through this thread I've credited Laker management.

To flip the argument on it's ear, there were people arguing that losing Shaq was no big deal. I disagreed with that.

Basically, if you want to dismiss my concerns as "laker hating" then you should be able to logically discuss the points I have made rather than scream "laker hating". Seriously, I even mentioned that I felt Gasol was under-rated. WTH?

P.S. You can find posts of mine around here calling Kobe the best player in the league. However, he isn't anymore. Wierd that pointing out the obvious lends to charges of "laker hating". Not to mention that I'm used to seeing huge predictions of Laker successs (every single year) and when they don't come true those posters disappear like farts in the wind.

So basically, whatcha got?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The big difference is that I've ALWAYS logically defended my position and if you read through this thread I've credited Laker management.

To flip the argument on it's ear, there were people arguing that losing Shaq was no big deal. I disagreed with that.

Basically, if you want to dismiss my concerns as "laker hating" then you should be able to logically discuss the points I have made rather than scream "laker hating". Seriously, I even mentioned that I felt Gasol was under-rated. WTH?

P.S. You can find posts of mine around here calling Kobe the best player in the league. However, he isn't anymore. Wierd that pointing out the obvious lends to charges of "laker hating". Not to mention that I'm used to seeing huge predictions of Laker successs (every single year) and when they don't come true those posters disappear like farts in the wind.

So basically, whatcha got?
what i can't stand too now is that Laker fans, Kobe fans, act like as if Kobe is single-handedly responsible for all 5 rings, they act like as if Shaq never existed

Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
what i can't stand too now is that Laker fans, Kobe fans, act like as if Kobe is single-handedly responsible for all 5 rings, they act like as if Shaq never existed
Us Laker fans don't care what you think.

All that matters is that Kobe has 5 rings, love him or hate him.

At the end of his career, Kobe will be one of the greatest Lakers to have played the game.

Shaq is gone. Shaq is done.

He had a great career. Let's move on.

We should worry about the present.

I don't think anyone has the right to tell us Laker fans how to think and what to think.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Us Laker fans don't care what you think.

All that matters is that Kobe has 5 rings, love him or hate him.

At the end of his career, Kobe will be one of the greatest Lakers to have played the game.

Shaq is gone. Shaq is done.

He had a great career. Let's move on.

We should worry about the present.

I don't think anyone has the right to tell us Laker fans how to think and what to think.
The above is your opinion, what you quoted is his. No-one here has any right to tell anyone else how and what to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball