Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Are you really asking me that? It's because Amare and Melo are already established as stars in the NBA and Lin has more to prove. I thought that would be obvious. Now he had 2 nice games against the Lakers and Mavs but now we have to see him play well on the road against good teams and not just at MSG. That's why I said his performance against the Mavs, Spurs, and Bulls on the road will be key in determining if he bought his own place too fast
I'm just challenging the assertion that he's not good enough to play in the NBA. Go pull up the roster of Minnesota or Golden State or any number of other teams and tell me how Lin isn't at least a 6-8 roster spot for many of them.

He's still pretty young and improving, willing to work on his game and so forth.
I think he's their best option at PG right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I have to agree, it was no need to Sager to bring up Lin's name at that point so I could see why Melo became annoyed
I only agree that Melo is a prima donna that has had hit butt kissed since probably about age 13.

Is it a dumb question? Can Melo be irritated or whatnot? Sure. However, it's questions that are going to be asked and reporters often ask the same dumb questions.

Let me pose it another way, how do you think Derrick Rose, Tim Duncan, Lin etc. would have responded? Not like Melo.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm just challenging the assertion that he's not good enough to play in the NBA. Go pull up the roster of Minnesota or Golden State or any number of other teams and tell me how Lin isn't at least a 6-8 roster spot for many of them.

He's still pretty young and improving, willing to work on his game and so forth.
I think he's their best option at PG right now.
We don't know yet and have to wait and see how their season ends. Now if Lin continues to be productive and average 12 pts and 10 assist a game and the Knicks make it to the 2nd round and get knocked out, then Lin is a keeper.

If the Knicks start falling below .500 and Lin is no longer scoring over 12 pts and they lose in the 1st round, then chances are he won't be there next season. So just because he had a 9-3 record since becoming the starter, it doesn't mean that it's over. He has to continue to show he belongs in the NBA and as the PG for the knicks which is why the next 2 months will confirm whether or not he is NBA material.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I only agree that Melo is a prima donna that has had hit butt kissed since probably about age 13.

Is it a dumb question? Can Melo be irritated or whatnot? Sure. However, it's questions that are going to be asked and reporters often ask the same dumb questions.

Let me pose it another way, how do you think Derrick Rose, Tim Duncan, Lin etc. would have responded? Not like Melo.
But he has already been asked that question and I thought he handled it in a professional way. He smiled and was very respectful and decided to focus on the event that was going on and not on Lin and the second half of their season. I thought he did a good job

Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
I've reserved my opinion of LIn until today. I was impressed with him, but not as much as old espn was. I knew when he faced the Heat, someone was going to expose something on him..Maybe he was just too tired at that point. Maybe he just had an off game. But there are things I've seen all along that make me think that he is being touted a little too much. You build someone up that high and they are bound to fall. I just hope he can substain himself enough and cut out many of those turnovers. If he doesn't, it'll be bench city..You cannot have your starting point guard turn the ball over that many times..The jury's still out for me on LIn. I need to see more before I decide where I would put him..I still think personally that Derron Williams is the best point guard in the game..I like Chris Paul, but he lacks the scoring that Derron brings..

I'm not going to waist another post. Because obviously there is some confusion. I never stated that I was judging him from a "best point guard" stance. I said if he didn't fix his problems, it would be bench city..As far as great point guards. If he kept playing at a high pace, then he might boost himself up into a top five point guard; however, like I have said. I need to see much more..Nine games don't do it for me. Anyone can have a good nine games. I need more time to decide if he is the Knicks best option..I think he is as far as point guards go..What's left (an aging Baron Davis?). However, it doesn't mean that the Knicks couldn't shoot for Derron Williams at the end of the year, if Lin turns out to be a fluke..I'll be honest, some of his game isn't that impressive. He has to cut down on the turnovers, and he better get better going left. And stop getting in trouble with stopping with the ball!

Last edited by supermanpansy; 02-27-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I've reserved my opinion of LIn until today. I was impressed with him, but not as much as old espn was. I knew when he faced the Heat, someone was going to expose something on him..Maybe he was just too tired at that point. Maybe he just had an off game. But there are things I've seen all along that make me think that he is being touted a little too much. You build someone up that high and they are bound to fall. I just hope he can substain himself enough and cut out many of those turnovers. If he doesn't, it'll be bench city..You cannot have your starting point guard turn the ball over that many times..The jury's still out for me on LIn. I need to see more before I decide where I would put him..I still think personally that Derron Williams is the best point guard in the game..I like Chris Paul, but he lacks the scoring that Derron brings..
No one ever said he was the best PG in the NBA, only the best PG option for the knicks as a starter

Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
You're a typical American.

If someone doesn't go with the flock, they are labeled "clueless".

If I don't conform to whatever the media said, I am outcasted.

Do I have to worship the corporate controlled media?

I choose to not be a sheeple like most of America who are not even knowledgeable about the NDAA that was signed by our president.
You are all over the place there bud, the politics forum is >>>>>>> that way.

Thanks!

I've been a longtime poster to the NBA section of this forum and while I freely admit I make mistakes, I generally at least logically support WHY I think the way I do. While I don't always agree with some of the other regulars and they've changed my thinking on occasion, I feel pretty confident that most of them are reading this exchange and laughing at your knowledge level.

P.S. You didn't mention the illuminati, what gives?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
I am not saying it wasn't impressive. But the Lakers are the not the real Lakers like they were a few years ago and unfortunately are a shell of their former selves.

Darent Williams scored 38 points against the Knicks and we barely heard about it.
<breaks out the hand puppets>

It's Deron Williams, a 3x allstar and 2x all-nba player

vs. a nobody d-leaguer riding the end of the bench.

Still can't figure out why it's noteworthy that the scrub had a big game?

---------------------------------------------------------------
It's like you are walking through the woods and you see this bobcat go racing past tackle and kill an elk. Your friend is amazed that this little bobcat pulled off such a feat but you reply it's no big deal because you saw a grizzly bear do the same thing once.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
They weren't going to be much better. They didn't have a bench before either. That has been the biggest problem with this team for this year. Trading for Chris Paul would have possibly made it worse.
Indeed.

When your 4th best player should be a 8th man somewhere.....you have serious problems.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
We don't know yet and have to wait and see how their season ends. Now if Lin continues to be productive and average 12 pts and 10 assist a game and the Knicks make it to the 2nd round and get knocked out, then Lin is a keeper.

If the Knicks start falling below .500 and Lin is no longer scoring over 12 pts and they lose in the 1st round, then chances are he won't be there next season. So just because he had a 9-3 record since becoming the starter, it doesn't mean that it's over. He has to continue to show he belongs in the NBA and as the PG for the knicks which is why the next 2 months will confirm whether or not he is NBA material.
Lin won't be with the Knicks after this season if he plays well. They have no $$$ to spend to match other teams offers.

At this point I'd state that he will be a starting PG or at least 6th man getting solid minutes somewhere in the league next year. I'm hesitant to be more specific because of his free agency status and it depends upon what team he might go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball