Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times

Advertisements

Even though his heart will probably always belong to LA, I'm sure it felt good for Fisher to knock out his old squad that felt he had nothing left.

And I know I don't know the guy personally, so I don't really know what kinda person he is, but Bynum's nonchalant attidude bothers me. it seems as though he just doesn't care sometimes during interviews.

When asked if he thinks LA would sign him to a long term deal, he responded "I don't care, I will play anywhere" with that dumb,blank stare face that he makes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
When asked if he thinks LA would sign him to a long term deal, he responded "I don't care, I will play anywhere" with that dumb,blank stare face that he makes.
Dumb comment on his part.

But in his defense... who wants to answer that question "right" after being knocked out the playoffs.

Reporters are jerks sometimes too...

Old 05-22-2012, 10:12 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Those are "sources" or "rumors" that have no actual quotes from Kobe stating this himself...

In addition, they came during the stretch when the team was struggling. Specifically Steve Blake and Gasol. Which of course Kobe would want them back in that scenario...

Kobe wasnt pushing for either guy when the Chris Paul trade was gonna happen.

This is a good idea... But I'm not sure they will blow it completely up this next year. Maybe in 2 or 3 more. I think it will only be a couple moves. Because you dont wanna sacrifice more long term contract issues when you still have to get a new franchise player. So they will need some decent moving parts.

Thats why I don't think they will amnesty Artest unless they have someone to replace him specifically... Even if they brought Odom back, I dont think he can replace Artest on the defensive side of the ball. And his effort and intesity is no match for Artest. Plus he looked done to me this past season.

The trade idea for Howard and Hedo would be a nice change of pace... but I think it would be replacing one set of problems with another and not addressing the source.

The source of the problem is Kobe...
The Lakers have limited cap space and frankly Mr. Peace is somewhat fairly valued so I doubt they amnesty him unless they get a chance to make a big move and have to get the cap room.

Consider that Peace is at 7.2mil and Blake is at 4mil....I know whom I'd amnesty.

If I'm them, I stand pat with that squad and amnesty a guy like Blake. Take my $$$ and look at free agency to solidify my 6-7 spots so the squad can run a deeper rotation and get some production.

Then the coach will have to work with the squad to get them playing better together in the new season, realizing that they scrapped the triangle and the Lakers struggled to find identity.

They definitely appeared to abandon the interior attack that got them to the playoffs and instead went to "kobe time". With a bit more bench and a more balanced attack I can see them getting further next year.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:27 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You can't help but wonder how much Odom and Fisher would have helped their worthless bench in this series. They didn't HAVE to get rid of Fish and could have played him as 7th man but they were clearing salary room.

I still think Bynum is the best center in the west, he just needs to be in the right system and needs to be involved to get the best from him.

People are forgetting that westbrook was shredding the Lakers perimeter which leaves the bigs having to patrol against slashers AND keep OKC off the boards etc. which is a really tall order. It's easy to blame the bigs but when your perimeter players can't keep westbrook, harden and durant in front of them you are in a bad bad place.
Westbrook was amazing, as was Harden. The thing is that they pushed transition, which the Lakers had no answer. With Gasol, Bynum and KB, you had the classic 1/2 court team which needed to be able to hit consistently from outside. KB's points came from jumpers off a high pick but mostly backing opponents down. Well that's why you've got Bynum/Gasol, the Lakers don't need three guys to do that, it simply stagnates the offense and makes it much harder to get an offensive rebound or stop the transition. Real conundrum.....

Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I have a feeling that he'd like to say a lot more and that statement expresses a hint of what he'd really like to say.

I'm not sure to condemn his laid back response or applaud that he is savy enough to not get in a war of words with kobe with a big payday looming in the next year or so.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Quote:
I have a feeling that he'd like to say a lot more and that statement expresses a hint of what he'd really like to say.

I'm not sure to condemn his laid back response or applaud that he is savy enough to not get in a war of words with kobe with a big payday looming in the next year or so.
agree 100%, he was pretty cryptic with his responsen and probably for that reason.

@ Mr GE, you're right there. I didn't even take that into consideration. He just got knocked out, and you're asking him about the future. Let him at least take in the loss for 30 minutes before asking him about next year.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:

If I'm them, I stand pat with that squad and amnesty a guy like Blake.
I completely agree. I wish they would have signed Agent Zero when they had the chance. He would have been great coming off the bench and being here at home (he's from Los Angeles) I think he would have played his heart out.

What really really really needs to be done is this - Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, World Peace, the Buss's, Jack Nicholson and (Hopefully) new coach Mike D'Antoni will all meet in a dimly lit room, sit Bryant down in a chair in the middle of a semi circle and say "Look, we all know your personal stats are more important to you than the team, but next year, you WILL play team ball or we will all eff you up. If you EVER take more than 25 shots per game, we will eff you up. If you take 30 shots in a game, we will kill you".

Old 05-22-2012, 02:29 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
What really really really needs to be done is this - Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, World Peace, the Buss's, Jack Nicholson and (Hopefully) new coach Mike D'Antoni will all meet in a dimly lit room, sit Bryant down in a chair in the middle of a semi circle and say "Look, we all know your personal stats are more important to you than the team, but next year, you WILL play team ball or we will all eff you up. If you EVER take more than 25 shots per game, we will eff you up. If you take 30 shots in a game, we will kill you".
Haha, I like how Jack is in the room in your scenario. I can see him doing most of the talking here.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 PM

WOW. Read this article....the whole thing...especially the luxury tax stuff. It's an excellent read.

The Point Forward » Posts For Lakers, becoming championship contenders again will be a tall order «

I was hearing a cap of around 70mil....it's going to be more like 58mil.
I didn't know they were starting the clock on being in the lux tax penalty....they have.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:13 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
If you EVER take more than 25 shots per game, we will eff you up. If you take 30 shots in a game, we will kill you".
What?

Kobe took 32 shots in game 5... Bynum took 10.

If he took 25 shots the Lakers wouldnt be gon fishing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball