Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 01:01 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Like last year, the refs will most certainly try to prevent this from being a sweep. At the very least

Refs can control what fouls can’t or can get called, which will affect the flow of the game and “level” the playing field. They can also put a tight leash of Draymond Green again, calling techs and trying to get him suspended.

GSW will win but the refs/NBA don’t want a sweep
Yea, the commissioner is going to do everything within his power to take the finals to Game 7. It's all about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 04:34 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The thing is...the 2-3 elite teams are in the west so Lebron doesn’t face them to make the finals. And when he does, he loses more than he wins. How many of those eastern teams over the last 8 years have been legit title contenders? The Raptors? Pacers led by 22-23 year old PG? One year wonder Hawks? I certainly couldn’t see any of them beating the Wade/Bosh/Lebron Heat. How many eastern teams had a legit shot at taking out the Lebron/Kyrie/Love Cavs? A historically bad #1 seed Craptors team? A hobled Celtics team?
Boston has been a legitimate threat, two different iterations of the Celtics in one decade. The early decade Celtics (2010-2012) were absolutely a legitimate title contender, they went to a Finals and were a game away from another with three HOF'ers guiding them. The late-decade C's of the last two years were threats mainly because of coaching, but they were the higher seed both times. 53 wins and 1-seed last year, 55-wins and 2-seed this year, and they stomped through everyone else in The East both years. To dismiss them as "hobbled" is biased and is only to handicap their accomplishments and diminish Lebron's...

Two different versions of the Celtics have been legit contenders...

The mid-decade Indiana Pacers were legit contenders and went to back-to-back conference finals, and pushed the Heat to the brink. You guys have selective memory, because especially that year they were #1, they were spoken of as contenders. That was the year Paul George rounded into elite form, his age 23 season. He was All-NBA, All-Defense, and that was Year 4 of his career, so he wasn't exactly a bum or young in the sense of a first or second year player (he was All-NBA in Year 3, 2013, and that's typically the year great players make the leap). I find it funny that you snicker at those Pacers who were well coached, played defense, had an elite playmaker, etc...

But hey, anything to discredit Lebron...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Why would he go join a West team when he can stay in the East (Cleveland/Philadelphia) and coast to another final(s).
Wow, you're bitter! Lol...

News for you brodie, you can't "coast" to the championship round eight years in a row. This is an entirely different tune from a month ago when you were ultra confident in the Raptors being able to knock out The King. This is a different tune for all of you guys who claimed somebody in The East was going to beat Cleveland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not rigged, just biased.

Even when the Cavs did beat GSW they needed Draymond Green to be suspended for game 6 and countless calls against Curry. Expect a lot of bias calls from the refs to keep this series from being a nightmare sweep.

Yeah, this is going to be very boring.
The NBA can't make a team that won a record number of games and obliterated many offensive records choke away a 3-1 lead---unless you're also going to argue that The League also did the same to the Thunder in that years WCF, right?

Again selective memory by you guys. The driving narrative that entire season was that the Dubs were possibly the greatest team ever, unstoppable, Curry back-to-back MVP had an unconscionable year and was argued as having dethroned Lebron as the best player in the game. The narratives were all in Golden State's favor, so where was the incentive to keep that series going?

My early take on The Finals:

I like this Cavs team's chances better than last year's. Last year I thought we were overconfident and much too reliant on offense. This year there is no overconfidence, and that alone is beneficial. I think we were humbled last year, we needed to be...

This year we are battle tested and this team has gelled more as the playoffs have gone on. The defense is the 9th-best of this year's 16 playoff contestants, which if extrapolated into the season, would have been #16, which is a marked improvement over their actual #29 ranked defense in the regular season. So this isn't a great defense by any stretch but they have improved each series and have played spurts of great D when they have really needed it...

I also think Lebron finally has guys who believe in, and play for, each other. They believe. I don't think they are afraid of the Warriors and I don't think they buy the media frenzy saying they are going to get rolled. I do think they have a healthy respect for Golden State, which I think was missing last year with the cockiness...

And I've long been a tough critic of Lue, and still don't think he's a great coach, but hos adjustments on the fly have been admirable all postseason long. Sure, he has the luxury of having Lebron--Kerr has the luxury of the three best shooters in the game, it doesn't diminish his coaching acumen. Lue's coaching has been underrated this postseason, and he and Lebron have wanted this rematch this year. They haven't publicized it or taken shots at Golden State (which if you recall, the Cavs did all 2017 season, taking jabs at The Dubs). They didn't this year, which shows they've matured and were humbled, but make no mistake: Lebron and Lue,those two especially but probably other guys, they want this fight...

I won't make a prediction because the Warriors ARE the better team and have more advantages and have more mismatches they can exploit. But you guys know what side I'm on. This is why they play the game, it isn't won on paper...

Go Cavs!

Old 05-29-2018, 04:34 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Yea, the commissioner is going to do everything within his power to take the finals to Game 7. It's all about money.
Uh huh.

And 19 of the last 23 Finals have not gone to six games.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:33 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,753,593 times
Tin foil must be on sale....... I refuse to believe you can get that many brothers in on a conspiracy......

Old 05-29-2018, 06:31 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,901,771 times
These are my 2 favorite teams in the Finals. I have been a GSW fan since the early 70's when they shocked the Bullets in a 4 game sweep. It only took 40 years to get back to the championship game but I was a die-hard fan all those years. The Cavs have been useless for 4 decades but LeBron took them to the promised land. Whoever wins is a win for me. I do not like Houston, even though the GM is a genius, but he couldn't foresee Pauls hamstring pull. I used to be a Celtics fan when I lived in Boston (1967-1970) but they have won enough, time for another team. Go Warriors and Cavs.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:49 AM

331 posts, read 253,835 times
For those that continually dismiss Lebron's 8 consecutive trip; have you ever heard anyone bring up the fact that during the 80s, when the Lakers went to 9 finals in 11 years, the Western Conference was the significantly weaker conference? Most of the top players in the league played in the east. Outside of the Blazers in 89 and Rockets in 86, the Lakers were challenged by the Jazz (prior to both Malone and Stockton), the Nuggets, and the Mavericks. 90% of fans would have to research who played on these rosters.

However, we know no one brings that up who the Lakers faced in the Western Conference because in the grand scheme of things, no one really cares. Just like, in about 10-15 years, no one is going to bring up "but the east was weak." Going to the finals that many times is an impressive feat, regardless.

As I mentioned before, most players cannot hold up to the physical and mental toll of that many consecutive trips to the finals. Jordan retired twice, the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe folded mentally, and the Bad Boy Pistons couldn't hold up physically.

Lebron James, in his 15th year in the league, amongst the league leaders in minutes played during the regular season, leading all players in minutes played in the playoffs, on a team that requires him to do everything, the one player who has had the least amount of offseason recovery time for 8 consecutive seasons, playing every single minute of game 7 and puts up another monster line. And some of you are qualifying it by "well the east sucks." Give me a break.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,277 times
Does anyone seriously believe that the Cavs are the biggest NBA Finals underdogs in 16 seasons?

Cleveland Cavaliers open as big underdogs to Golden State Warriors in Las Vegas

Old 05-29-2018, 06:54 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
Off the top of my head in the 80s

Nuggets had Fat Lever and Michael Adams and Alex English

Mavs had Mark Aguirre, Derek ___ at the point, and forget who else.

You are correct, they had no one to really put up a fight.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:10 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
He'll have his defenders on here, but what a weak move by Harden.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...oss/ar-AAxWPj4

Uncharacteristic for him though as he stayed behind last year to shake hands.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:50 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
He'll have his defenders on here, but what a weak move by Harden.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...oss/ar-AAxWPj4

Uncharacteristic for him though as he stayed behind last year to shake hands.
Well atleast he didn't cry on camera like Capela
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball