Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 01:39 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,158,651 times

Advertisements

Just got an email from the Library that they are closed as of yesterday evening, and all materials checked out have been extended to be due on June 1! That doesn't help me get something new to watch or read. I had 2 holds in transit, and no idea when I can actually pick them up.

Looks like I might have to spring for a streaming service if this lasts too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 02:06 PM

424 posts, read 580,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palangga View Post
Maybe we should stop trying to flatten the curve in the Treasure Valley? As of this morning, there are only 7 confirmed cases of COVID-19. This is easily handled by our area health care facilities. The whole purpose of all these restrictions is to space out the epidemic so that our health care systems don't get overrun. With the exception of NYC and LA, this is not currently necessary. The waiting and lack of economic activity is going to do far more harm at this point.
The only problem is they do not know how many cases will appear in Idaho. I know for a fact that a couple just returned from Spain and was on a bus full of people coughing and sneezing. Was not screened when they got into the States, they both have put themselves in voluntary isolation. So, how many others are out there that have been infected but do not show symptoms.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:20 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palangga View Post
Maybe we should stop trying to flatten the curve in the Treasure Valley? As of this morning, there are only 7 confirmed cases of COVID-19. This is easily handled by our area health care facilities. The whole purpose of all these restrictions is to space out the epidemic so that our health care systems don't get overrun. With the exception of NYC and LA, this is not currently necessary. The waiting and lack of economic activity is going to do far more harm at this point.

The Corona virus will never go away in our lifetime. We just have to deal with it the way we deal with the flu, by using good hygiene. Hopefully, it is seasonal and hopefully we will develop a seasonal vaccine. You WILL come in contact with it. When you do, it will either grow on you or it won't. You may develop some immunity to it. You may get it again and again. But once we get over the fear, we will wonder why we had to shut down every aspect of our lives over it.
Wyoming was 3 last I heard. With Montana and Idaho very low compared to the more populated areas.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:30 PM

133 posts, read 289,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
The only problem is they do not know how many cases will appear in Idaho. I know for a fact that a couple just returned from Spain and was on a bus full of people coughing and sneezing. Was not screened when they got into the States, they both have put themselves in voluntary isolation. So, how many others are out there that have been infected but do not show symptoms.
Yes, I agree that we should give it a few weeks. Some are saying that we are where Italy was 2 weeks ago. Fine, let's see how bad it gets. But after Spring Break, we should assess the state of our state.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:36 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Fortunately, so far, the US is showing a much lower rate of infection and mortality than Italy. The Italian mortality has risen through 2 orders of magnitude in 15 days. The US mortality has risen through just 1 order of magnitude in 14 days. The same applies for the rate of infection; we experiencing a much lower rate. So far we are on a much, much lower rate of the progression of infections and mortality, and both rates have been very steady for 2 weeks now. If we get through another week or so at the same rate, that is a very good thing.

With the rapidly expanding test capabilities in the last week in this country, then we may see the slope of the cases graph have an uptick. If not, then that is really good.

To see this yourself, check here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Examine the total cases and total deaths graphs; click on the 'logaritmic' presentation and look at the slopes of logarithmic graphs. If it stays steady, then that means the transmission rate is steady. If it slopes up, then the transmission rate is getting worse, and if it slopes down, then we are lowering the transmission rate.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:32 PM

One more case reported today for a total of 8 in Idaho.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:32 PM

289 posts, read 311,823 times
I'm starting to get the feeling the outcome might actually be better than we anticipated simply because of how much it's been hyped. And I don't mean "hype" in a manner of dismissal. As data comes in and we see the mortality rate dropping then we may see a fairly strong bounce back in community and consumer sentiment when it has finally settled down. You know the markets will go bonkers to the upside if there is strong positive news after we finally see a decline in transmission. Waiting out the next few weeks to see what impact our social distancing has produced is agonizing though! I'm too impatient!

Old 03-17-2020, 07:32 PM

I hope they hurry and get those thousand dollar checks mailed out before they decide the outcome won't be bad at all.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:10 PM

33 posts, read 17,934 times
Just updated, there are now 9 confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
One more case reported today for a total of 8 in Idaho.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:48 PM

661 posts, read 833,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suggest that you stay out of Costco right now. It's a mad house.
Costco is the place to go to catch the Coronavirus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area