Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 11:16 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Yes, but actively excluding tenants with children under 6 is breaking the law.
And who says they're being excluded? Ten other prospective tenants had better credit score/better landlord references/etc, it's not like someone is turning away children and letting the place sit empty. Its not our fault people choose to have kids with no proper planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
But it's breaking the law if a family with children under 6 try to rent your unit and you turn them away because they have children, as per the OP's post.

Look, honey, if you're the sort of landlord who wants and enjoys breaking the law, that's on you. I've been lucky that, in the time I rented in the Boston area, my landlords were all good people who did their jobs (my NYC and Chicago landlords have been overall much worse in comparison), so I'd like to believe that people like you are in the minority. Again, the OP found a place with a landlord willing to follow the law.
So you're saying if you have 10 different sets of tenants applying for your apartment and only one of them has kids, you have to rent it to them and tell the other nine go screw even if they all have higher credit scores? Interesting...

Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Wow. Just. You double down with the wow.
I'm actually am just going to give up because some people just don't see a problem in breaking this law. If they're landlords woe to them when they get caught. I used to work for a housing advocate agency back in Chicago and there are people out there who act like "secret shoppers" for rentals, who go around claiming to have young children or service animals or disabilities to catch slumlords breaking various laws. And, unlike the OP, they keep detail records of everything that's said and written for the express purpose of suing landlords to comply. Again, woe to the lying, law breaking landlord who gets caught.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
So you're saying if you have 10 different sets of tenants applying for your apartment and only one of them has kids, you have to rent it to them and tell the other nine go screw even if they all have higher credit scores? Interesting...
Absolutely not what I said at all, but okay, twist it however you want.

You're allowed to pick the candidate with the best credit score, the best income, the best references.

You're not allowed to pass on the candidate with the best credit score, the best income, and the best references JUST BECAUSE they have a child under 6.

This seems like common sense. Then again, common sense was never a requirement to owning property (as we saw with the recession...).

Old 07-27-2017, 11:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

Yeah, no one said or implied any such thing.

So much blatant lying on this forum. Gross.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, no one said or implied any such thing.

So much blatant lying on this forum. Gross.
Well then, stop whining about landlords breaking the law because there's always at least 10 set of applicants for every apartment, and DINKs will always have higher incomes and better credit scores.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:39 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
The rule is ridiculous and it is indeed easy to break rather than pay the 20k fee. That's what you don't get. You think people should just pay it...they don't have to and are getting on just fine. You can think it's as unjust as you want but what it is really unjust is the fee. And yes if you have kids you should find a place that is deleaded already. It really isn't that difficult.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:45 AM

And as i stated previously there are many landlords who only rent to people they know and they have every right to do that. Not every landlord even advertises

Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Well then, stop whining about landlords breaking the law because there's always at least 10 set of applicants for every apartment, and DINKs will always have higher incomes and better credit scores.

Actually, there isn't always ten applicants for every apartment. Not at all similar to my experience.

And no, DINKS won't always have higher incomes and better credit scores.

And that still doesn't make breaking the law acceptable. You apparently have a huge problem with telling the truth, and with people following the law.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:54 AM

you all just seem mad at the landlords who should pay 20k to delead if they want to rent. But quite honestly how about the mother/father who should just be finding places already deleaded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston