Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:51 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I don't see the same sort of difference -- it is interesting. People who live north of the city only ever live north -- they will move further north, but not to the south or west suburbs. Same with the west suburbs, and somewhat true of the south suburbs. To someone in Northbrook, the towns of Burr Ridge, Orland Park and Flossmoor are like towns in a totally different metro area. There is little movement or familiarity with the different suburbs -- I haven't seen anything quite like it in other cities.
It's really incredible. We lived in Glenview, and folks had quite literally never heard of Western Springs. And when we looked at some towns to the West- La Grange, WS, Clarendon Hills, our network from Glenview was borderline horrified.

"Oh, really? Where's that? But why would you leave the north shore? I bet the schools aren't nearly as good."

I get that it's a big metro, but I feel like the NYC suburbs of CT know as much about the NYC suburbs of NJ as North Shore folks know about the western belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The P company?

God, Poggenpohl stuff is hideous.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:18 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
It's really incredible. We lived in Glenview, and folks had quite literally never heard of Western Springs. And when we looked at some towns to the West- La Grange, WS, Clarendon Hills, our network from Glenview was borderline horrified.

"Oh, really? Where's that? But why would you leave the north shore? I bet the schools aren't nearly as good."

I get that it's a big metro, but I feel like the NYC suburbs of CT know as much about the NYC suburbs of NJ as North Shore folks know about the western belt.
I had an aunt who grew up on the North Shore. She and her husband moved away. Then he got a job in Oak Brook. But they lived in Lincolnshire. No way were they going to live in Oak Brook.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:44 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Too much money, not enough taste. Troublingly common.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:48 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuka View Post
Lol, no. I design and sell expensive German kitchens.
You'll do well here.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:20 PM

32 posts, read 39,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazil View Post
I live in Hull. Moved here a bit over 15 years ago, and I love it. I haven't read the whole thread, but happy to answer specific questions if you are still considering the area.
Thank you. My situation changed a bit. Now I have to drive to work most of the time so Hull, although we liked it is a bit a drive. Still, not decided yet, because I want to know if driving to Boston from South Weymouth is same as Hull.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The P company?
No, I work for SieMatic.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That is the reason I am moving. To offer better alternative.Better pricing from actually better company.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:16 AM

Report.
We got car from EZ-cars. My $18 per day midsize turned into $375 rip off. Was forced to buy a transponder I didn't use, full insurance because I was scared by "how bad people drive in Boston". Full tank of gas, because I didn't want to look for gas station at the end.
Drove all the way to Cohasset. Nice, scenic drive. Beautiful area. Rent place, not so much. Too far.
On the way back stopped to have lunch at Paragon Grill in Hull. Turned around and continue to South Quincy. Met a realtor at the place near shipyard. Thinking about it now, probably the nicest place out of all. Remodeled, decent kitchen, mini split in kitchen and bedroom. Samsung Washer/Dryer in the unit and finished room in basement.
We looked at another place in older house and then drove around Quincy Center and then to Quincy Shore Dr. Mixed emotions. A lot of it reminded us Rogers Park and some of it is just old and not pretty. Gritty. Layers of old, smells sticky old. Small and a bit claustrophobic in sizes, pathways, streets, rooms, stairs, hallways, ceilings.....
I got yelled at by some driver to turn my head lights on and rightly called a dumb-ass. I said, welcome to Quincy dear.
I was surprised how fast we got to Whole Foods in the city, just of the highway.
Hotel wanted $63 for overnight parking and I used Spot Hero for $38 at 200 Stuart.
Wento for chowder in Legal See Foods, walked around in piles of snow. Weirdly, some sidewalks were cleaned from snow and some part were not. Here in Chicago you get ticketed for this very quickly. Hotel people said we are in the middle of China Town. Doesn't look like a China Town, just lots of Asian people that is all. Lots of Asian people in general.
Doesn't feel like NY at all.
First of all, I drove only for couple of days, but drivers in Boston not worse than in Chicago. Actually, out in Hull they were very polite, stopping to let us cross the road. Noone honked too much. More patient in traffic jam than here.
Second, obviously food was great. Thursday night we walked from hotel to B&G Oysters bar.
I know, we talked mostly to agents, service people, but they were all nice. Maybe they were all transplants or visitors, but the rest of interaction was pretty much similar to Chicago.
The stop lights confused the hell out of us as a pedestrians. Turning left on yellow/red light in droves was surprising.
I am too tired right now, after driving all day and being delayed in too hot Logan airport. I will finish it tomorrow probably.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:24 PM

Well folks, we did it. Moved to Quincy South East. Found a decent 2 bedroom for $1700 with laundry in unit. Overall, we made right decision with area in comparison to other options so far. Got to know our first Nor'Easter. Having hard time finding good grocery stores like in Chicago, so mostly shopping in Whole Foods. Planning to check out Roche Bros, Kam Man Foods and Hannaford. Everything costs about 20-30% on average more than in Chicago aside of real estate. I am surprised by lack of infrastructure and state of repairs in Quincy. Police Station is falling apart. The amount of traffic is definitely due to poor or old design of the highways. Ethnic cuisine is not as good as in Chicago for sure and I also miss Portillo's. I find people here and in Boston are more polite than in Chicago. Some oddities here and there. We got shell-shocked by price of the heating oil, luckily our landlord is changing to gas this warm season. Got my Massachusetts driver license and registration. I doubt I will ever get a speeding ticket here, just too much of the traffic any time any day. Can't wait for warm Spring and worrying about how many a/c window units I will have to buy for hot summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston