Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:10 PM

469 posts, read 577,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The man us illiterate and won't use his money to better himself. Sad.
Yikes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
So to those questioning Mayweather as a fighter, and I myself not having been "into" boxing in recent years but just following the sport - Of the 48 victories to his name, when did he cross the line of fighting opponents who were technically past his prime versus the old day fights like Ali, Frazier, Hearns, Hagler, Leonard - all to my recollection had many big fights gainst opponents in their prime, thus earning their stripes?

Everyone saying this fight was Mayweather waiting 5 years on Pacquiao in order for him to be past his prime - both players were on equal footing in this fight IMHO.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
I think the toughest fight Floyd has ever been in was when he was beating on women.

https://vine.co/v/e7V1hLdF1bP

Old 05-03-2015, 02:54 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
What the f--k?

HE DID DUCK HIM...FOR FIVE YEARS. He waited for a older and more beat Pacquiao to fight. Undeniable.
Then hid behind ridiculous demands no elite boxer would ever agree to. But Pac-man wanted the fight to happen so pretty much agreed to all his demands. Yet he continued to duck him.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:49 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
Then hid behind ridiculous demands no elite boxer would ever agree to. But Pac-man wanted the fight to happen so pretty much agreed to all his demands. Yet he continued to duck him.
That is why boxing is a joke. It's too much business. Back in the old days, two boxers who considered themselves to be the best p4p would fight each other for the bragging rights. Not pick and choose terms on how they would fight. (LOL). In the end, this 2 dudes went home with more than 50 million. Their promoters, agents, managers also made it out with a lot of $$$$$. If you want to watch some good boxing go to Friday Night events or golden gloves event.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:26 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I had Mayweather winning by a much narrower margin. I felt each fighter clearly won four rounds a piece, the other four rounds were very difficult to score. They could have gone either way giving Floyd a slight edge. But that edge was more about what Manny didn't do than what Floyd did to win. I won't comment on injuries, questionable tactics, judges, or the lack of officiating. Nor will I comment to the trollish posters who come here for the sole purpose of rooting for Mayweather after the fact, and most of those doing so strictly on the basis of race. I've done a pretty decent job of ignoring those types for some time now.

The fight itself, as I predicted in many threads before, was a flop. It could not possibly live up to the hype, no fight involving Mayweather could ever live up to the hype. He is not an entertaining fighter. He is an excellent defensive fighter, but he built his legacy on the biggest names past their primes. His M.O. has been to wait until they lose a step or have nothing left, and move in for a lackluster win. In recent years he has relied heavily on running, clinching, forearms and elbows, holding, and illegal punches. He has to have every possible advantage in order to gain his edge. Whether it is ring size, gloves, judges, refs, venue location, size/weight, etc. To the casual fan he appears greater than he is, to real fans of the sport, he is smoke and mirrors, flash before substance. This has been my criticism of him since the beginning. Long before the Mayweather/Pacquiao saga began.

Fortunately a majority of his fans are mouth-breathers who will slip back into obscurity and forget all about him once he has retired. Years from now, he will be relinquished to the status of other great athletes of the past such as Ty Cobb, Franco Harris, Scottie Pippin, and a slew of other statistically great athletes who are never talked about.
Thank you, thank you, for explaining this...anyone who has watched Floyd over the years knows this is how his fights go, so this fight was no surprise to those that know how Floyd is.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:37 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post

The best defensive fighter made the arguably best offensive fight his fight. Floyd fans expected this from the start, but Manny fans are butt hurt because Manny couldn't make it a slug fest (aka a street fight). Manny was out BOXED. I enjoyed seeing it. Floyd even landed more punches. If anyone is to blame his it's Manny and his trainer for not being competent, prepared, and skilled enough to cut off the ring and FORCE Floyd to fight his fight.
I don't understand your reply. I'm not a fan of either boxer - I'm just giving my perspective on the entertainment value of what I saw. Perhaps elite defensive fighters just aren't that entertaining to the casual fan? I hear the same about MMA fighters that like to spend the entire fight on the mat in an endless cycle of counter maneuvers.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:25 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Yet another boxing clinic by Professor Mayweather

Simply one of the greatest fighters of all time...

Good but not even in the top 10

Old 05-04-2015, 06:40 AM

365 posts, read 499,718 times
People love and respect teams such as the Spurs and the 1985 Chicago Bears for having a great defense and winning by not being flashy, but criticize Mayweather for doing the same.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:44 AM

469 posts, read 577,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
People love and respect teams such as the Spurs and the 1985 Chicago Bears for having a great defense and winning by not being flashy, but criticize Mayweather for doing the same.
His style isn't entertaining to many people but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he's just not a very likable guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing