Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:05 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I still believe with the right education and job that one could still thrive here healthfully.
However, if you're not that much of brainiac from the get-go like myself and require lengthy remediation, the over-crowding at the JC/CC level here isn't really going to help matters all that much.

Like someone mentioned earlier, Stanford brain-power came here to roost from other states. Possibly states where education at all levels didn't have much of an over-crowding and resource issue as CA presently does.

I say if you want to thrive here, consider getting educated in a less stressful environment, graduate, get employed elsewhere, then come back when your experience level has made you attractive.

As for myself, the hobbies and activities I've chosen to undertake aren't looked down upon in other neighboring states as they are in CA.
The ride was nice, but it's time for a new whip.
I think there's some common sense and truth in what you are saying. Hey, I left CA for time to CO for a time with my young family. It was more affordable and a good place to build my skills while saving money. Once I gained more valuable experience in my profession I could pretty much choose to live anywhere (that had some decent tech jobs). At that point it was a good time come back to CA to our prefered area - the Monterey Peninsula.

While I was in CO and speaking with my manager at the time - a big rodeo buff BTW, he was explaining to me why sending his daughter to college in Wyoming was a better deal. Beacuse of a variety of factors University of Wyoming was offering great financial incentives for students to attend there, including those from out of state. So much so that it was more affordable than going to school in her home state of CO. So sometimes it is good to take advantage of such things for a season in one's life, even if that means going out of state to do so. Just make sure it is worth it and helps improve your overall quality of life.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-30-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I think there's some common sense and truth in what you are saying. Hey, I left CA for time to CO for a time with my young family. It was more affordable and a good place to build my skills while saving money. Once I gained more valuable experience in my profession I could pretty much choose to live anywhere (that had some decent tech jobs). At that point it was a good time come back to CA to our prefered area - the Monterey Peninsula.

While I was in CO and speaking with my manager at the time - a big rodeo buff BTW, he was explaining to me why sending his daughter to college in Wyoming was a better deal. Beacuse of a variety of factors University of Wyoming was offering great financial incentives for students to attend there, including those from out of state. So much so that it was more affordable than going to school in her home state of CO. So sometimes it is good to take advantage of such things for a season in one's life, even if that means going out of state to do so. Just make sure it is worth it and helps improve your overall quality of life.

Derek
I once thought about going to Laramie when college choice was coming to mind.
But like Victorville where I'm domiciled out of right now, the wind conditions are too much of a strain for me to bear.
I bring this up a lot, but truck driving off and on over the past five years has given me a taste of what all 48 states have to offer.
Its just now gotten to that point where I've found my niche so-to-speak.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I once thought about going to Laramie when college choice was coming to mind.
But like Victorville where I'm domiciled out of right now, the wind conditions are too much of a strain for me to bear.
I bring this up a lot, but truck driving off and on over the past five years has given me a taste of what all 48 states have to offer.
Its just now gotten to that point where I've found my niche so-to-speak.
Haha, harsh weather and winds = deep discounts. If you are a trucker then you know the weather in the lower 48 states more than most.

That trucker's route down I-80 through Wyoming, though pretty straight and flat gets real nasty during snow season. There ends up being a lot of overturned vehicles on that hwy. And Laramie is right off the main hwy. My coworker was telling me that they actually built tunnels between certain main buildings on campus to avoid being exposed as much between classes. It might be worth it if you can handle that kind of cold for a season. And it borders CO. So its only a little over an hour from Ft Collins, CO.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-30-2011 at 11:42 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 PM

68 posts, read 681,664 times
Problems like this are happening almost everywhere.

The world is overpopulated and that means we all get a smaller slice of the pie.

The California dream, and the American Dream were flawed from the beginning though. They were both based on a lifestyle of heavy consumption and unsustainability.

Welcome to the New Age of man. The post-petroleum age. Coming soon.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:37 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
I still believe with the right education and job that one could still thrive here healthfully.
However, if you're not that much of brainiac from the get-go like myself and require lengthy remediation, the over-crowding at the JC/CC level here isn't really going to help matters all that much.

Like someone mentioned earlier, Stanford brain-power came here to roost from other states. Possibly states where education at all levels didn't have much of an over-crowding and resource issue as CA presently does.

I say if you want to thrive here, consider getting educated in a less stressful environment, graduate, get employed elsewhere, then come back when your experience level has made you attractive.

As for myself, the hobbies and activities I've chosen to undertake aren't looked down upon in other neighboring states as they are in CA.
The ride was nice, but it's time for a new whip.
you don't sound like you would need lengthy remediation good luck in your pursuits. I think you are probably on to something though with your theory.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGardener555 View Post
Problems like this are happening almost everywhere.

The world is overpopulated and that means we all get a smaller slice of the pie.

The California dream, and the American Dream were flawed from the beginning though. They were both based on a lifestyle of heavy consumption and unsustainability.

Welcome to the New Age of man. The post-petroleum age. Coming soon.
I don't think so. If you go back 50 or 100 years homes and 'extravagance' were pretty modest, and meek compared to what people demand now. My parents were pretty happy with the former vacation cottage turned into a single family home on a .25 acre with 3 bedrooms and 4 kids. They still seem used to that lifestyle. That generation didn't demand central heat, air, dishwasher, etc. The American Dream was really pretty humble. It just seems that 'progress' might have gotten a bit distorted and it takes a minute to get things back on track. CA might be a bit on the forefront of this at least in terms of identifiying energy alternatives.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:

That trucker's route down I-80 through Wyoming, though pretty straight and flat gets real nasty during snow season.
I have been snowed in on I-80 in September once or twice in the past. This was along the Seven Sisters part of the route.

BTW, what's "LoDo"? My Colorado shorthand knowledge is lacking.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I have been snowed in on I-80 in September once or twice in the past. This was along the Seven Sisters part of the route.

BTW, what's "LoDo"? My Colorado shorthand knowledge is lacking.
LoDo is short for Lower Downtown Denver. It's where a lot of companies live right off I-25.

Derek

Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
you don't sound like you would need lengthy remediation good luck in your pursuits. I think you are probably on to something though with your theory.
Thanks for the upgrade, but as I stated in the education forums, my advanced math skills are sub-par to say the least.
Unfortunately, higher math seems to be the key ingredient in going for the right degree program these days.

I'll get onto it and kick it in the teeth eventually though.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Haha, harsh weather and winds = deep discounts. If you are a trucker then you know the weather in the lower 48 states more than most.

That trucker's route down I-80 through Wyoming, though pretty straight and flat gets real nasty during snow season. There ends up being a lot of overturned vehicles on that hwy. And Laramie is right off the main hwy. My coworker was telling me that they actually built tunnels between certain main buildings on campus to avoid being exposed as much between classes. It might be worth it if you can handle that kind of cold for a season. And it borders CO. So its only a little over an hour from Ft Collins, CO.

Derek
Luckily I've had the pleasure of being loaded down with 46,000 lbs of bottled water pallets coming from Denver, so I was plenty planted to the asphalt!!

As far as the cold, Ft Collins and Denver were bearable enough for me, but wind in general just gets a little tiresome to deal with after sitting through it for most of my life.
But if something right pops up in that area, I'll keep it on the list.

I mean, Wyoming was the state I shot my very first gun in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California