Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wolf kills: Idaho and Montana prepare for wolf hunts - Los Angeles Times

The debate about this is raging. They are a very efficient predator. Maybe too much just like humans. Guess what the "bottom line" will be? We will spend tons of money to introduce it then tons of money to regulate or remove it.
When I worked in Yellowstone I was shocked at the attitude ranchers in that part of the country have toward wolves. I came from Texas and I had no idea people like that existed in the West.

Wolves are a natural part of the ecosystems, you and your ranch aren't. And the federal government reimburses ranchers for lost livestock, which is minimal to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 PM

50,297 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
When I worked in Yellowstone I was shocked at the attitude ranchers in that part of the country have toward wolves. I came from Texas and I had no idea people like that existed in the West.

Wolves are a natural part of the ecosystems, you and your ranch aren't. And the federal government reimburses ranchers for lost livestock, which is minimal to begin with.
I like Wolves. I also like my cattle. If I have to deal with these I'll deal with them the same way we do with feral dogs or Coyotes if they kill livestock. All legal.

Some of these Wolves they are re-introducing weren't ever part of the area I ranch. Whitetail moved by themselves. These Wolves were dumped.

Have you ever seen a calf killed and eaten while it is being born? The Cow disemboweled and eaten alive from the butt first while giving birth? It ain't pretty.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I like Wolves. I also like my cattle. If I have to deal with these I'll deal with them the same way we do with feral dogs or Coyotes if they kill livestock. All legal.

Some of these Wolves they are re-introducing weren't ever part of the area I ranch. Whitetail moved by themselves. These Wolves were dumped.

Have you ever seen a calf killed and eaten while it is being born? The Cow disemboweled and eaten alive from the butt first while giving birth? It ain't pretty.
Nature ain't pretty. And I promise you cows experience much worse suffering at factory farms-- you know, the way cows are grown for actual consumption vs your little hobby farm dude ranch.
You get paid by the federal government for livestock killed by wolves, so why would do you want to exterminate an important part of our natural heritage?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
I like Wolves. I also like my cattle. ...
Angry, you're a good outdoorsman ... I respect that and enjoy some repartee' with you here ... I authorize you to go ahead and take that government compensation for any livestock lost ... after all, G.W. Bush and Dick Cheney take pensions ... if they get what they get for doin' what they did -- well sir, you can have whatever you can get in my book ... and you tell 'em nullgeo said so.

As for cows not being pretty, neither is this view of cow:

Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Nature ain't pretty. And I promise you cows experience much worse suffering at factory farms-- you know, the way cows are grown for actual consumption vs your little hobby farm dude ranch.
You get paid by the federal government for livestock killed by wolves, so why would do you want to exterminate an important part of our natural heritage?
hobby? Ok, conversation over. I'll kill all the Wolves I want, all legal too

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Angry, you're a good outdoorsman ... I respect that and enjoy some repartee' with you here ... I authorize you to go ahead and take that government compensation for any livestock lost ... after all, G.W. Bush and Dick Cheney take pensions ... if they get what they get for doin' what they did -- well sir, you can have whatever you can get in my book ... and you tell 'em nullgeo said so.

As for cows not being pretty, neither is this view of cow:
Thanks for always staying civil See, there is that word in there. Govt. Just by uttering that you can imagine what it is like to get a claim, partially because of those that have abused it in the past between DOW and F&G. I haven't had to deal with the claim process but I've got relatives that have. Someone comes out and "inspects" the kill. From there a worker decides on whether or not a claim is valid from what I'm hearing. The whole process is arduous and painful and similar to going to court.
The Wolves are still West and North of mine so hopefully it stays that way. But, just as I have with Coyotes, if I lose a dog or too many critters I'll eliminate them if I have to.

I bet I can eat a whole one of those burgers!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
... Thanks for always staying civil
HA! Moderators take note: nullgeo is being referred to as "civil"

Quote:
See, there is that word in there. Govt. Just by uttering that you can imagine what it is like to get a claim, ...
LMAO! You got that part right, hoss!

Quote:
I bet I can eat a whole one of those burgers!
Bet if I tried, I'd have a heart attack before the third bite ...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
HA! Moderators take note: nullgeo is being referred to as "civil"

LMAO! You got that part right, hoss!

Bet if I tried, I'd have a heart attack before the third bite ...
Well, civil to me You are on your own for the rest

Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
hobby? Ok, conversation over. I'll kill all the Wolves I want, all legal too
You mean to tell me you're a Californian with a ranch and it's not a hobby farm?

What next, you'll say you don't own a Prius?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
You mean to tell me you're a Californian with a ranch and it's not a hobby farm?

What next, you'll say you don't own a Prius?
Nope F-350, ranch in CO I live in SD part time.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
I think that OR-7 may have a difficult time alone in California. With all the media hype he almost has a wanted poster hung around his neck, with people now looking for him. If he does not get shot or run over he still faces problems. As a loner he will not have the hunting success that a pack will have. Winter is usually a good hunting time for wolves as their prey is often weakened and not as mobile as in other seasons, so OR-7 could be able to take deer. If he is facing starvation that could then get him into real trouble, and that is to turn to domestic livestock. Adult cattle and horses are too big and dangerous for a single wolf to attack, but calves and foals are vulnerable, as are any domestic sheep or goats. If he should be forced to take this step he would then have to be removed. Even if he returned to Oregon to rejoin his former pack he could face a grim reception. He either left or was expelled from his pack, and if he attempted to rejoin them he could be attacked and even possibly killed. Wolves lead extremely violent lives, with high mortality rates from at least a dozen different reasons, so this guy faces an uncertain future. However, wolves are very elusive and resourceful, so he just might thrive and do fine. Have not heard anything further about him in several days, the scientists tracking him on GPS are keeping mum, as well they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California