Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,830,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY1986 View Post
Ideally I don't want to camp out; it's just like if I'm screwed over and I can't find a place, then that's a feasible option.

But if I really think about it.. I could go to college, work, live in the tent just temporarily to start out. That's a CRAZY idea, but hey.. if you have a dream.. you should do "Any means necessary"
Yeah BUT ... do it wisely.
Like snort said, you're all over the place.
Take it easy, take it slow.
If you don't want to do that and you're willing to wing it and possibly blow 5K and then have to back east, go for it.
But really, i'd be patient and be really smart about this.
Do lots of research.
I know you're young, you're a guy, you're excited and you wanna start a new life in California.
But calm down. Don't be in such a hurry. That's my advice.
Time for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for me.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:14 AM

52 posts, read 61,717 times
I'm very excited to be honest. I'm thinking worst case scenario I get a solar powered charger for my iPhone, get a tent, live there through college and obviously work.. and feed myself with the money I get through work.. if that's a bad idea, just find a room mate situation. And yeah I definitely need to catch some Z's. I'm getting really excited about this. I plan to do this in the spring though so I have some time to fine-tune my plan. Worst case, I waste 4000, come back and deal with it.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:15 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,322,740 times
Where exactly can you camp in a populated area that won't get you arrested or stabbed to death?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 AM

With the tent idea I could live anywhere in the state. If I do not do that idea, I can just get a room.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:23 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,459,188 times
Hate to be negative but I will. You are about 50 years too late for the "go west young man" line. 5 grand in California will be gone before you know it. Go west but not so far. Check out the unemployment stats in California and Nevada vs the midwest, by midwest I mean west of the Mississippi. You are young take your move in steps. Get a good job in the midwest and when the economy improves and you have some experience and money then go to California if you want. California is expensive.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 AM

You guys are probably going to think I'm borderline insane, but what I really want to do now is get a decent tent, and live in it in San Diego while attending college for four years. Right now I want to find like a forest or something that nobody will ever find me in or harm me in.. That's going to be a major difficulty. I can get settled in the tent, find a part time job, go to school, then after college I'll be set with my degree so I will no longer require the tent. I don't know. It sounds exciting in my head. I know what the hardships are but I'm willing to do it if the end result is a degree and success.

If I decide not to do that I'm thinking San Diego, find a roommate, part time job, school.

Either way I'm happy. What do you guys think? And yeah I know it's 4 AM but I'm thinking and it's hard to sleep. I'm probably going to fall asleep after I post this and read what you guys think when I wake.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,770,855 times
You do realize what constitutes a forest in 90% of San Diego, I assume?

Old 02-12-2012, 04:41 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,365,623 times
There are ways to come here LA cheaply.

Flight from JFK-LAX is $150 O/W.
Hostels dorms are $30/nt. until you find a room for rent, room shares are cheaper and generally found near larger universities.
Food: Fast food, Cheap Chinese or Mexican, 99cents store stuff can do under $10/day ( I did as a student eating lots of Ramen noodles, Bread, PB&J, Oatmeal, Macaroni&Chesse, Cherrios and milk)
Transport: Weekly bus pass, $20.

You can survive in LA for 3-4months for $5000. Hopefully you find a job by then.
I would work for a year or 2, even 2 jobs to save money for college/living. As an out of state student, you'll pay a lot more than for tuition, so wait till you become a resident.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,365,623 times
I also want to add that when you do start college, community colleges are great options because they are very affordable. If you do a year or 2 and then transfer, it is so much cheaper than doing a university. A top community college student have higher chances to get into top UC colleges like UCSD, UCLA, UCSB, UCI, Cal and many top CSU schools much easier than a top freshman out of high school. You can also apply for financial, state and federal, aid if you qualify. There are also the multitude of scholarships you can apply for to get more money.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,631,525 times
Quote:
Right now I want to find like a forest or something that nobody will ever find me in or harm me in.. That's going to be a major difficulty.
mmm, a piece of land with a stream for water, put in some pvc piping, grow a little herb crop, that will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California